xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Can anyone explain the new play clock rule?

Timing Devices
    ARTICLE 4.
    a. Game Clock. Playing time shall be kept with a game clock that may be either a stop watch operated by the line judge, back judge, field judge or side judge, or a game clock operated by an assistant under the direction of the appropriate judge. The type of game clock shall be
    determined by the game management.
    b. 40-Second Clock.
    1. When an official signals that the ball is dead, the
    play clock shall begin a 40-second count.
    2. If the 40-second count is interrupted for reasons beyond the control of the officials or the play-clock operator (e.g., clock malfunction), the referee shall stop the game clock and signal (both palms open in an over-the-head pumping motion) that the play clock should be re-set at 40 seconds and started immediately.
    FR-68 RULE 3-2 / PERIODS, TIME FA CTORS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
    3. In the event that the 40-second clock is running and the ball is not ready to be snapped after 20 seconds into the count, the referee shall declare a timeout and signal that the play clock be set at 25 seconds. When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the ready-for-play signal [S1] and the play clock shall begin the 25-second count. The game clock will start on the snap unless it had been running when the
    referee declared a timeout; in that case, it will start on the referee’s signal (Rule 3-2-5-b).

So, if I understand this...Basically the team that has the ball has to be ready to snap the ball after 20 seconds and if they are not then they will be charged with a timout?

jtuck
    jtuck's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, the 40 second play clock begins right when the ref blows the previous play dead. The ref then has 20 seconds to spot the ball and if he doesnt get it spotted within that 20 seconds then the ref calls a timeout, spots the ball, and the offense gets a fresh 25 second clock.

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Thanks, I understand it now. I wonder how much the totals will be reduced because of this new rule?

emat
    emat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 654

I think the 40 second rule is actually a positive for totals although the flip side is the new out of bounds rule that is similar to the pros. The later is probably the biggest difference and could very well affect totals. Just guessing here, but the average totals plays in a game is probably around 125 to 150. Assuming that maybe 15-20 occur in the last 2 minutes of each half which is unaffected you are looking at 110 to 130 plays left. Of those plays I would estimate around 15% result in an out of bounds play. So we are looking at around 15 to 20 plays during a game that are affected. At least 20 seconds will be ran off on each play now as opposed to 0 in previous years. That is almost 7 minutes per game or 11% of the game. That is very significant in my mind. Again, very rough SWAGs on my part, but does it not seem reasonable to think this rule will be a problem for over bettors.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

there is a video on SBR tv about it

so-classy#23
    so-classy#23's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think it should just be once the ball is spotted and then the 40 second play clock should begin like in the NFL..its ridiculous that a 25 second play clock gives that little of time for college guys to run a play.....nevertheless more time will be taken up to spot the ball and to snap it so i am sure totals will be adjusted respectively

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Quote Originally Posted by so-classy#23 View Post
    i think it should just be once the ball is spotted and then the 40 second play clock should begin like in the NFL..its ridiculous that a 25 second play clock gives that little of time for college guys to run a play.....nevertheless more time will be taken up to spot the ball and to snap it so i am sure totals will be adjusted respectively
    The rule is just like the NFL now; in both leagues the 40 second clock starts when the previous play is dead - it does not wait until the ball is spotted.

The biggest difference that will be felt in the college game is that teams will be able to run the clock out with 2:30 or so when the opponent is out of timeouts. In the NFL, you get the free timeout with the 2:00 warning.

The result will be less dramatic college games, shorter games, less plays, lower scoring, and less big favorites covering.