BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

A Very Early Look. SEC West

Hands down, the best division in football, as long as they stary away from playing USC. (Had to throw that in). Half of the SEC West teams have won NC's in the last 4 years. This promises to be an extremely close race, with possibly 4 teams being involved to some degree.

1. Alabama. The Tide lose a ton of skill players on offense. Richardson can replace Ingram, but QB McCarron had better be able to do the job. Alabama's strength will be in it's defense that returns 9 starters. Marcel Dareus leaves early, but the defense should be one of the best in the NCAA. The schedule features trips to Penn State, Florida, Mississippi State, and Auburn. While' Bama is my pick to win the SEC West, it is unlikely they will escape that mine field unscathed.

2. LSU. LSU returns their QB controversy, and adds on to it, by having UGA transfer Mettenberger join the circus at the QB position. LSU MUST settle on one QB. The line returns 4 starters. The defense, which has been the strength of LSU, returns 7 starters, but loses CB Peterson early. The schedule is not kind, with a game against Oregon at Jerryworld starting things off, and games at Mississippi State, West Virginia, and Alabama, adding to a tough schedule. LSU must find a solution to their QB situation, or they may finish lower than this.

3. Mississippi State. To sum it up in two words for this team, WATCH OUT. Dan Mullen did a brilliant joblast season, winning 9 games. This season 7 starters return on an offense that ran hot and cold last season. The defense returns 7 starters, but will need work at the LB position. The schedule is not real easy, with games at Auburn, Georgia, and Arkansas, but they play Alabama and LSU at home. State is the type of team that can upset anyones apple cart. With a little more consistancy, this team could be a player in the SEC West race.

4. Arkansas. Ryan Mallett leaves early, and his loss will be huge for the Razorback offense. Seven starters do return, but someone must relance the QB. Their defense also returns 7 starters, but needs work in the secondary. Arkansas had a solid season last year, but their defense gave up too many points. That is going to have to improve. A three week run at Alabama, vs Texas A&M at Jerryworld, and home against Auburn should tell us wherer this team is going in 2011. They also play LSU on the road.

5. Auburn. This team was the "dirty" team in the SEC last season and everyone knows it. On offense, QB Newton, along with his payoff, and 7 others, including most of the line, are gone. On defense, DT Fairley, the dirtiest player in the NCAA, leaves along with 7 other players including the entire line. Both kickers also depart. The schedule is a disaster waiting to happen, with away games at Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, and Georgia. Add on home games vs Miss. State, Florida, and Alabama, and Auburn may be lucky to win 6 games this season. The entire SEC is waiting for them. They may finish dead last. The mighty will take a mighty fall. This team is fade material.

6. Mississippi. This team managed only 4 wins last season after two consecutive 9 win seasons. Their problems were wide spread. This season OleMiss returns 8 starters on a team that ran hot and cold on offense last year. THe defense gets hit very hard by graduation, losing 8 starters. That might be a good think as the defense was not very reliable last season. Their schedule sees most of their tough competition going to Oxford. Ole Miss is going to have to get consistancy out of their offense, and play decent defense to escape the SEC West cellar.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

CLEMSON
    A three-game stretch involving games against national champion Auburn, Atlantic Coast Conference champion Virginia Tech and league runner-up Florida State highlight the 2011 Clemson football schedule. With the traditional season finale against South Carolina, the Tigers will face the teams that battle each other for the ACC and Southeastern Conference championships. Dabo had a good recruiting class and now needs a good season to keep the wolfs away.

SOUTH CAROLINA
    Gamecock assistant football coach Shane Beamer is leaving the program to join his father at Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech announce the move Tuesday. Beamer spent the past four seasons with South Carolina, coaching safeties and serving as special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. Not sure what his duties will be at Tech.

MONTANA
    Nate Montana (son of NFL great Joe) has transferred to Montana from Notre Dame. Nate, a junior, played in three games last season, completing 50% of his passes for 116 yards. He was not expected to be a factor in the Irish quarterback rotation and thus the transfer. Montana (school) must be going after these transfers....remember Tate Forcier (Michigan) was considering going there.

TENNESSEE
    Senior defensive end Ben Martin suffered an achilles injury while working out yesterday and will have surgery this week. Last season, Martin injured the other achilles in fall camp and missed the entire season. Hopefully he will be ready when the season opens....doubtful however. Good thing Dooley signed four defensive linemen this year.

TEMPLE
    The Owls are becoming the home for wayward University of Florida coaches. Temple added Scot Loeffler to the staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He had spent the past two seasons with the Gators as quarterbacks coach. Loeffler becomes the sixth coach hired by Temple with Florida coaching roots.

WorkHorse

My bad Bigdaddy.....thought I was posting in the Notebook.

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

Love these previews, BigDaddy. I think you're right on with the standings (especially the part about AU being fade material).

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

BigDaddyQ --

Hate on Auburn much?? And it's never to early for a pre-season look, but I'll take AU finishing higher than 5th in the division for a hundy if you want...

War Damn.

bruce_outside
    bruce_outside's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree--fade au w/ cam and fairly gone. nice job on these writeups.

itriedsohard
    BIG PLAYS
    itriedsohard's Avatar Become A Pro!

excellent stuff here!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by valaub04 View Post
    BigDaddyQ --

Hate on Auburn much?? And it's never to early for a pre-season look, but I'll take AU finishing higher than 5th in the division for a hundy if you want...

War Damn.
    Actually, quite the opposite, seeing as my wife grew up in a town about 20 miles North of Auburn (Jackson Gap, for anyone that knows the area). Auburn has always been one of my favorite teams in the nation, as well as the SEC. I pulled for them in every game (except the UGA game). The fact is that Auburn loses 14 out of their 22 starters, including their best players, and they have no one fill in those holes. Many teams have targeted Auburn, especially since Newton played dirty, and Fairley was a dirty player. Auburn can easily lose all 5 of their away games, and certainly lose to Miss. State, Florida, and Alabama at home. It is not that Auburn is that bad, as much as it is the other SEC West teams being that good (except Ole Miss), and the brutal schedule. Look at what happened to Texas last season after the departure of their star QB. The same can easily happen to Auburn this season. Everyone wants a piece of Auburn, and many teams will get it.

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

I'm putting my faith in Malzahn. He has put up points everywhere he's been, even in his first year at AU with no skill position talent and possibly the worst QB in history in Chris Todd. The offense is not a concern for me. What IS a concern is our defensive tackles. We are thin there and a couple of injuries puts all bets off. It's not going to be a great year for us but I see an 8-4 type year. Next year we can be OUTSTANDING.

I know exactly where Jackson's Gap is. Nice area close to Lake Martin.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Actually, quite the opposite, seeing as my wife grew up in a town about 20 miles North of Auburn (Jackson Gap, for anyone that knows the area). Auburn has always been one of my favorite teams in the nation, as well as the SEC. I pulled for them in every game (except the UGA game). The fact is that Auburn loses 14 out of their 22 starters, including their best players, and they have no one fill in those holes. Many teams have targeted Auburn, especially since Newton played dirty, and Fairley was a dirty player. Auburn can easily lose all 5 of their away games, and certainly lose to Miss. State, Florida, and Alabama at home. It is not that Auburn is that bad, as much as it is the other SEC West teams being that good (except Ole Miss), and the brutal schedule. Look at what happened to Texas last season after the departure of their star QB. The same can easily happen to Auburn this season. Everyone wants a piece of Auburn, and many teams will get it.
    BIGDADDY, I lived in jacksons gap for a while, on peckerwood road off hwy 280. Do you know where Willie's Cycle is?
    PM me

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Arkansas will be better than your projections........Patrino was the force behing Mallet, and the guy that backed Mallett did a great job backing him up.

McAron needs to worry about Simms taking his job...word is he is looking like an equal to compete for the job as starting QB for the Crimson Tide

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

ARK won't miss a beat. Petrino has them moving!

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

War Damn Eagle.

I too think my guys will crash this year; unfortunately, the entire world feels the same way (Auburn crashing) so the fade will be brief (first few games), if at all.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Thanks for all the feedback, especially from you guys who know about Jackson Gap. We have not been there since the year before Katrina, but we hope to get back there this year, or next. For any of you who know the folklore of the area, my wifes grandfather was John Henry Davis, pretty well known in those parts. John Henry had 108 acres, and was known for being in charge of "refreshments" back in those days.

Back to football. So far I have seen backers for Auburn and Arkansas say that their teams will finish higher, and no one argue that Alabama, LSU, and Miss. State will finish lower. That is a very good indication of just how tough that division really is. I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate that McCarron is in danger of losing his job at 'Bama, though it is early, and you will hear the usual song and dance from Saban, as well as most head coaches this time of year.

WorkHorse

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss and probably LSU will all have new quarterbacks.

Looks like Mississippi State will be the only team in the West with a returning starter.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

LSU will have the same QB problems this year as last, with one more QB (Mittenburger) thrown into the mix. Since there are so many teams with new QB's in the SEC West, I give the edge to teams that play excellent defense. This is where both Arkansas and Auburn fall short. Alabama, LSU, and Miss. State all have much better defenses than Arkansas and Auburn have.

WorkHorse

The SEC West is going to be fun to watch. An upset here are there will probably determine the winner. Bama should be strong on defense and may surprise people on offense. With a good base returning from the offensive line, look for Richardon to have a big year. He's waited behind Ingram for two years and word is he is pumped for coming season. LSU will also be strong on defense. Say what you will about ole Les, but he and his staff can recruit. Somewhere along the line, Mississippi State is going to ruin somebodys title hopes.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

That is pretty much the way I see it. Both 'Bama and LSU travel to Miss. State. The catch is this. LSU gets Miss. State after they host Northwestern State and Miss. State plays at Auburn. Advantage LSU. LSU and Miss. State play on a Thursday Night, a very short week for both, especially for LSU who must travel. Advantage Miss. State. As far as Alabama goes, they travel to Starksville the week after hosting LSU, while Miss. State hosts Tennessee-Martin before the 'Bama game. Advantage Miss. State. So Miss. State has a big home field advantage over both of these teams, even though LSU catches State coming off a big game.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 02-22-11 at 08:03 AM.

zoso11871
    zoso11871's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2334

I'm getting excited for CFB already.

WorkHorse

bump

WorkHorse

I don't think there's anyway Mississippi State will win the SEC West but they could very well determine who does as mentioned above. Taking a look at the Bulldogs schedule for 2011.

Memphis,... Away
    Auburn,... Away
    LSU,... Home
    Georgia,...Away
    UAB,...Away
    S. Carolina,...Home
    Open Date
    Kentucky,...Away
    UT Martin,...Home
    Alabama,...Home
    Arkansas,...Away
    Ole Miss,...Home

Mississippi State has a chance to have a good season. Getting LSU, South Carolina, Alabama and Ole Miss at home should help.
    LA Tech,... Home

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

LSU next year is National Championship or Bust!!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Prepare for a bust Zbioz, unless LSU can find a QB that can contribute on a regular basis. Miles has to end the QB Merry-Go-Round that he has created at the QB position. This team is very good, but the QB mess can kill them this season.

ZBOIZ

BigDaddy I truly believe the QB situation has been answered with All American JC Zach Mclenburger coming in. LSU is by far the most talented team in the West!!

With Bama losing Jones, Ingram and Mcelroy I don't see how anybody that's sober can say they'll win the west when they couldn't do it last year with those guys.

LSU clear cut fav to win the west for the next two years. What people failed to realize is LSU team last year was damn good and that was a team full of freshman and sophomores.

ZBOIZ

And you guys think those youngsters LSU had last year was some savages wait till you see this class this year. It's like a damn Louisiana All Star team he recruited. He recruited every top player in LA!! It will be sick!!

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    BigDaddy I truly believe the QB situation has been answered with All American JC Zach Mclenburger coming in. LSU is by far the most talented team in the West!!

With Bama losing Jones, Ingram and Mcelroy I don't see how anybody that's sober can say they'll win the west when they couldn't do it last year with those guys.

LSU clear cut fav to win the west for the next two years. What people failed to realize is LSU team last year was damn good and that was a team full of freshman and sophomores.
    Hey ZBOIZ rears his head only to talk out his a$$......LSU is in no way the clear cut favorite to win the west.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    BigDaddy I truly believe the QB situation has been answered with All American JC Zach Mclenburger coming in. LSU is by far the most talented team in the West!! With Bama losing Jones, Ingram and Mcelroy I don't see how anybody that's sober can say they'll win the west when they couldn't do it last year with those guys. LSU clear cut fav to win the west for the next two years. What people failed to realize is LSU team last year was damn good and that was a team full of freshman and sophomores.
    Swing and a miss on knowing the QBs actual name but that aside, I dont believe that anyone here can predict how well LSU or Bama's QB situation will be next year. Both were highly touted recruits who have seen little SEC action, or in Mettenberger's case, no action. I like Bama's run game and as BigDaddy stated they return a lot of starters on D. LSU has athletes all over the field and managed to put together a fine season last year without a productive QB. To say either team is a "clear cut favorite" is a little much.

ZBOIZ

Thanks for correcting me on the kids name Moody.....

But we can talk all day who will have the better team between Bama and LSU but like last year it will be decided on the field.

ZBOIZ

I just look at Bama as a team that game planned around Julio and Ingram, without those two that offense will struggle. Bama use to always put Julio in motion to create mismatches.. There will be no more of that! We all know Ingram skills, and on top of that you had to contain Richardson. Now the O will only have Richardson. SEC defensive cordinators will have a easier task game planning for this new Bama team.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

I've stated before I believe that Eddie Lacy will develop into a very productive SEC running back. Richardson will get the bulk of the carries this year but Lacy being there to spell him will have the Tide running game not missing a beat. The O-Line returns 4 of 5 starters and McCarron will have Hanks and Maze as reliable targets. Jones is a big piece to lose but there are plenty of good things going for the Bama offense if McCarron matures well.

ZBOIZ

I know Lacy very very well. He's from my back yard in Louisiana.. The kid has potential but don't resemble Richardson or Ingram at all!! But the kid does has potential!

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Auburn just had 4 players arrested 1st degree robbery, 5 counts. 1/2 million $ bond.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...layersarrested

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

[COLOR=#000000 !important]Auburn just had 4 players arrested 1st degree robbery, 5 counts. 1/2 million $ bond.
    [/COLOR]

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    Auburn just had 4 players arrested 1st degree robbery, 5 counts. 1/2 million $ bond.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    That's my guys, beat the crap outta you on the field, and then rob your ass after the game.

War Damn Eagle.

12 Last