BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

A Very Early Look. SEC East

The SEC has been the dominating conference this century, but a closer look reveals that while 3 SEC West Teams have won the NC (Alabama, Auburn, and LSU), only one SEC East team has managed that feat, and they lose their Head Coach. Here is a look at the SEC East.

1. Georgia. To put it simply, it is "do or die" for HC Richt. The offense loses WR Green, but had to play without him for parts of last season. They return QB Murray and 5 other starters. The defense also returns 5 starters, but gets hit hard at the LB position. The schedule is not too bad. UGA gets South Carolina, Mississippi State, and Auburn at home, and ducks Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas. They open with Boise State in Atlanta. If Richt can not make a divisional winner out of this group, with an unusually soft SEC East, he will be gone next season. He had better find some consistancy with this team.

2. South Carolina. The old ball coach finally won a divisional title, but was no match for Auburn in the Conference Championship game, or Florida State in their bowl game. QB Garcia returns, along with 5 other starters on offense, but the line will need work. The defense loses 4 starters, and will need work up front. The schedule is tricky, going to Georgia, and then Missisippi State, Tennessee, and Arkansas, with a bye thrown in. That is a long time to be away from home. They also host Florida and Auburn. A lack of consistancy has always haunted South Carolina, and it could cost them this season.

3. Florida. The start of a new era, and Will Muschamp takes over for Urban Meyer. Muschanp inherits a team that loses 4 out of 5 starting linemen. QB Brantley returns after a questionable season. The defense gets ripped, losing 9 starters. This will be a huge rebuilding project. The schedule offers little help, with away games at LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, and the Cocktail Party against UGA. 'Bama and Floirda State come calling. Muschamp has a huge rebuilding job this season, and an unfriendly schedule. Florida will do very well to win 8 games.

4. Tennessee. New H.C. Dooley did exactly what he was expected to do last season, going 6-6 in the regular season. This season will not be much better. The Vols lose 5 on offense, and get hit very hard at WR and TE. Their QB's are all unproven. The defense loses 6 starters, including all of their starting LB's. The schedule only as 4 away games on it, but 3 of those are very loseable, at Florida, Alabama, and Arkansas. Home games against UGA, LSU, and South Carolina are no bargain deals either. The Vols still need more talent to compete in the SEC East. Another 6 wins season seems to be in the cards.

5. Kentucky. Another 6 win team in the SEC, thanks largely to a very soft non-con schedule. Kentucky went 4-0 against their non-con opponents, but 2-6 against the SEC. This year, they lose their QB, RB's and WR's on offense. That will be a huge rebuilding job. The defense returns 7 starters, but the line will need work. Once again, the non-con schedule is very soft. Kentucky is going to need that to match last years win total of 6 games this season.

6. Vanderbilt. Vandy only won two games last season. The good news is that they return 9 starters on both sides of the line. The bad news is that there is not a lot of talent returning. The schedule is a bit kinder, with Elon, Mississippi, and Army traveling to Nashville. Vandy will need a lot of overall improvment from their returning starters to win more than 3 games this season. With their coaching situation settled, they may get just that.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 02-13-11 at 11:58 AM.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

As much as I hate to say it, I think UT will suprise everyone this year.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Tennessee is very thin, and has QB issues. I do not see it this season.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Tennessee will have more of an issue running the football. Tauren Poole comes back but the young oline struggled with run blocking last year. The running game is miles behind the passing game at this point. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney's philosophy leans more towards the pass and has molded some good QBs in Drew Brees and Kyle Orton while he was at Purdue. Bray will have some tough games and have to prove he can produce against defenses such as Bama and LSU but Bray is definitely someone that the Vols have high hopes for.

BetWeather
    BetWeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 143

I do not see it this season

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

I dont think Ut wins the east by any means. Their schedule is heavily in their favor though as you said. I see it playing out like this. Again, not saying they are going to win the east or the sec at all, but will suprise most (by winning 8 or more)

09/03/2011 Montana TBA w
    09/10/2011 Cincinnati TBA w
    09/17/2011 at Florida TBA L
    09/24/2011 Open TBA TIE ()
    10/01/2011 Buffalo TBA W
    10/08/2011 Georgia TBA W
    10/15/2011 LSU TBA L
    10/22/2011 at Alabama TBA L
    10/29/2011 South Carolina TBA W
    11/05/2011 Middle Tennessee TBA W
    11/12/2011 at Arkansas TBA L
    11/19/2011 Vanderbilt TBA W
    11/26/2011 at Kentucky TBA W

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I would agree with all of that except the Georgia and South Carolina games. Tennessee is not good enough to defeat both of those two teams. 7-5 is about as far as they go, and 5-7 is also in the realm of possibility. Last season Dooley did what was expected of him, and nothing more. He certainly did not impress me as a great coaching hire. Not bad, mind you, but not great.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I would agree with all of that except the Georgia and South Carolina games. Tennessee is not good enough to defeat both of those two teams. 7-5 is about as far as they go, and 5-7 is also in the realm of possibility. Last season Dooley did what was expected of him, and nothing more. He certainly did not impress me as a great coaching hire. Not bad, mind you, but not great.
    I agree they could also easily go 5-7 it would not suprise me. With that being said I hope my tide rolls this year, but we also have a qb situation.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

After going 2-10, 2-10 the past two years, I will go out on a limb and pick Vanderbilt to win three games this season. Home games with Elon, UConn and Army and Wake Forest on the road offers a chance to improve on the last two seasons record. Who knows, Vandy might slip up and win an SEC game.

At least the Doars have some starters returning (18) and that's an improvement over last season when they had only 10.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    After going 2-10, 2-10 the past two years, I will go out on a limb and pick Vanderbilt to win three games this season. Home games with Elon, UConn and Army and Wake Forest on the road offers a chance to improve on the last two seasons record. Who knows, Vandy might slip up and win an SEC game. At least the Doars have some starters returning (18) and that's an improvement over last season when they had only 10.
    Have you seen this vandy future bet anywhere? thx

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I dont think anyone "WINS" the east. I think someone loses less than the other teams. I think South Carolina is the team that back in to the championship. But whomever wins the east loses to the winner of the west

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Quote Originally Posted by HoldEmHook!! View Post
    I dont think anyone "WINS" the east. I think someone loses less than the other teams. I think South Carolina is the team that back in to the championship. But whomever wins the east loses to the winner of the west
    I agree with this except it will be wide open b/t UGA, SC, and FL

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the UGA pick. Richt is too good not to have them playing well.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Maybe having his job on the line will light a fire under Richt's ass to put the best players on the field. None of this redshirting star rbs, letting Joe Cox and Joe Tereshinski play over a #1 overall draft pick, and maybe he'll save a time out for the 4th quarter. UGA got a 350lb nose guard from JUCO that will help their defense immensely. UGA always finds athletes to put at linebacker. If finding linebackers is their problem, Georgia should be ok.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I just can't imagine Richt surviving if he does not win the SEC East this season. Florida is not going to be down for long. South Carolina was anything but impressive last season. With the schedule that Richt has, he should win this conference by two games.

mmike032

Richt has recruited the talent this yr
    now lets see how he squanders it this yr.

WorkHorse

Georgia missing Alabama, LSU and Arkansas is huge, especially this year when the Dawg nation is restless with the way things have gone the past two seasons. Georgia has a good young quarterback who could be really special. My worry for him is the offensive line. I believe the Dogs lost three starters off the line, they did however have good depth so maybe it will pay dividends this season.

The $64,000 question is how will Florida perform after a disappointing season and now with a new coaching staff. It will be wide open in the SEC East I'm guessing.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

It will be wide open, but Florida will have its problems. A new coaching staff, a QB who certainly underperformed last season, and the loss of so many starters on the offensive line and on the defense do not make for a promising outlook for Florida this season. Do not let the probable 4-0 start fool you. After playing home games against three non-con cream puffs and Tennessee, Florida hosts Alabama, then goes to LSU, Auburn and Jacksonville to play Georgia. 4-0 could easily becomes 4-4,or 5-3 at best.

utmoody10

Georgia will have to find someone to take up the slack for AJ Green. As disappointed as I was for the Vols to lose Marlon Brown to UGA out of high school, he has yet to make a mark and UGA is in need for a wideout to step up this year. Maybe this is the year he makes his mark.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Early thought is with UGA but think I'll hold off until spring practice coming up.

mmike032

Quote Originally Posted by utmoody10 View Post
    Georgia will have to find someone to take up the slack for AJ Green. As disappointed as I was for the Vols to lose Marlon Brown to UGA out of high school, he has yet to make a mark and UGA is in need for a wideout to step up this year. Maybe this is the year he makes his mark.
    and the favor was returned with De'Rick Rogers ( or whatever his name is )
    IMO Rogers will make more of an impact then Brown has at UGA so far.

utmoody10

Rogers will definitely have his shot this year. He and Justin Hunter showed a lot of potential last year. Denarius Moore and Gerald Jones graduated so Rogers will probably crack on to the first line of the depth chart. Who will be UGAs targets? TE Charles is a pretty good one and Jay Rome was a big time recruit. Who do you expect to see the most action on the outside?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Marlon Brown will need to step up as will Orson Charles. Rome will be good but he's a freshman. All of those Tavaris guys need to step up. AJ Green is a once in a decade type of player, he won't be replaced but they can learn to spread the ball around more. Mike Bobo likes to use the fullback the most in his passing routes, whoever wins the fullback role is in for a big year.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

UGA had 4 games without Green last season. They should have learned something from that. Murray is going to have to learn how to distribute the ball effectively to all of his receivers.

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Whoever the winner of the east is, I think they'd be 4th or so if in the west. The east was dominant for so long but that has changed and changed in a big way.

UGA would be the choice if not for the most overrated coach in the business.... that and they are soft. So I'll take USC and Lattimore to get back to Atlanta.

leafsfan19
    leafsfan19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 599

I miss ncaaf wish it wasnt over

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Valab, I agree. The SEC East winner would probably be 4th or 5th in the SEC West. I would be surprised to see any SEC East team win more than 9 regular season games. 9-3 should be enough to win the East.

bee gee
    bee gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1316

Green never realized is full potential at Georgia. That being said, look for the Dogs to compete with a winner at QB and a more experienced D.

WorkHorse

Georgia has a decent SEC road schedule with Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee. As always, Florida game will be played in Jacksonville.

Boise State, Atlanta, (Georgia Dome)
    South Carolina, Home
    Coastal Carolina, Home scrimmage
    Ole Miss, Away
    Mississippi State, Away (will be tough game)
    Tennessee, Away
    Vanderbilt, Away (Vandy always plays Georgia tough)
    Florida, Jacksonville
    New Mexico State, Home
    Auburn, Home
    Kentucky, Home
    Georgia Tech, Away

*Notice no Alabama, LSU or Arkansas on the schedule.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Georgia's schedule is the biggest thing they have going for them. No Alabama, LSU or Arkansas, and Mississippi, South Carolina, and Auburn at home. Florida hosts Alabama, and goes to LSU and South Carolina. South Carolina goes to Georgia, Mississippi State, and Arkansas. Outsider Tennessee hosts Georgia and South Carolina, but must go to Florida. They also host LSU, and go to Alabama and Arkansas. Clearly Georgia has the easiest schedule of the four potential contenders in the SEC East. Oddly enough, Georgia starts out with the toughest game of the 4, in Atlanta against Boise State. Fortunately for Georgia, non-con games do not count towards the divisional championship.

utmoody10

Hearing Aaron Murray sustained an ankle injury over the weekend and was seen on crutches today. Plenty of time to heal before the start of next year but missing spring practice would hurt greatly since there isnt a lot of familiarity with the UGA wideouts as mentioned here previously.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Murray's ankle injury is a sprain. Should be ready for spring practice

utmoody10

Sorry for jumping the gun. False alarm, heard the ankle was possibly broken. Apparently it was just a sprain, redandblack.com must have bad team sources after reporting it was broken in two places (now updated after x-rays were negative). Glad the guy is ok, this will probably keep him off the soccer field for a while at least.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

Sorry for jumping the gun

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The important thing is for UGA and Richt to realize that their season starts on 9.3,in Atlanta, against Boise State, not in the Spring. They should make sure Murray's ankle is completely healed before allowing him back on the field. The last thing UGA needs is a nagging season long injury to their starting QB. And lay off the stupid pickup soccer games.

12 Last