BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Phil Steele's Preseason Top 10.

Here is Phil Steeles Preseson Top 10:

No.1 Oklahoma No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 Oregon, No. 4 LSU, No. 5 Stanford, No. 6 Texas A&M, No. 7 Boise State, No. 8 Florida State, No. 9 Oklahoma State, and No. 10 South Carolina.

I find that to me your standard rn of the mill type Top 10 list, which is odd for Steele, who usually goes out on a limb with atleast one team. The only difference I see between his list and the other preseasin lists is South Carolina at #10, and the absence of any Big 10+2 team.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Phil puts out a yearly publication that in my opinion all football loyalist should have. He is as good as anyone for providing detail information on college football. I buy his pub every year as I do many others.

Would I buy his picks? NO. Do I think he provides valid information? Yes

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

No. 8 Florida State

No. 6 Texas A&M

These two dont belong. People want FSU to return to dominance, but that wont happen. FSU benefited from Miami(FL) being on probation, and cleaned up Floridas fertile recruiting grounds. Now they have competition, and wont be stacked a every position. Then they have a new QB. He may be talented, but I have yet to see anything from him that screams success.

Texas A&M lost their best player on defense, and the QB that took over for Jefferson has graduated. Jefferson is a turnover machine, and without that stout defense they dont win 50% of their games.

I would replace them with Nebraska,and Ohio St. For obvious reasons, perennial dominance.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

South Carolina will be the winner of the east by "losing the least" the same as they did last year. I think top 10 is too high. And agree with Houili

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I think Florida State has a good chance of landing in the Top 10. The ACC has regressed, and will regress again this season. There is no real competition for Florida State. The word that many of you seem to forget is "schedule". Look at Florida State's schedule. No Va Tech. No North Carolina. No Ga. Tech. Miami at home. The toughest game that Florida State has is their non-con home game against Oklahoma. You MUST look at the schedule if you want to make money in this game. The schedule is just as important as any other single aspect.

I am surprised that no one has caught this obvious blunder by Steele. He ranks Alabama 2nd, Oregon 3rd, and LSU 4th. Since both Alabama and Oregon play LSU, and are ranked ahead of LSU, Steele must think that 'Bama and Oregon will defeat LSU. If that is the case, LSU, with a minimum of two losses, CANNOT be the #4 ranked team in the nation. Duh????
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 02-13-11 at 11:15 AM.

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Stanford, Florida State, and South Carolina do not belong. I think Harbaugh's departure means a lot more than Phil seems to think, and while Florida State and South Carolina are good teams, I still see them losing 3-4 games next year. I agree with Houli, Ohio St and Nebraska should be on this list

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Ohio State yes. Nebraska? Not after the way they ended last sesaon, with losses to A&M, OU, and Washington. In those three games, their offense scored 33 points, and that is not going to cut it in the Big 10+2. Nebraska is going to have to find some consistancy on the offense to be a Top 10 team.

luckyutah
    luckyutah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    No. 8 Florida State No. 6 Texas A&M These two dont belong. People want FSU to return to dominance, but that wont happen. FSU benefited from Miami(FL) being on probation, and cleaned up Floridas fertile recruiting grounds. ...
    I don't think Miami was on probation during the time period that you are discussing.

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by luckyutah View Post
    I don't think Miami was on probation during the time period that you are discussing.
    I believe Miami was put on probation in 1995, and FSU was incredible in the mid to late 90s

the12thman
    the12thman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas A&M lost their best player on defense, and the QB that took over for Jefferson has graduated. Jefferson is a turnover machine, and without that stout defense they dont win 50% of their games.
    Yes, they lost Von Miller, and that was the only starter on defense. The QB that took over for Jerrod Johnson, Tannehill is now a senior QB. The defense will be even better in DC Deruyters 2nd season, with new 340lb NT Lamarc Strahan, cousin of Michael Strahan coming from Blinn JC, the same JC as Cam Newton.

A&M will be favorites in all games except for @OU this season

SB8621
    SB8621's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phil Steele puts out valid info but preseason polls are a joke

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I think that his publications are a must for the football bettor, but his predictions and the tout part of his operation is nothing but folly.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love Phil, he is a genius. He picked Oklahoma last year too.

ringemup
    ringemup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3171

Stanford and oregon will battle for the pac-10 title once again.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue
    Ch3fDan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Boise is horribly overrated in this.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I'm having a hard time with Stanford with Harbaugh gone. I think they will revert to former form.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Stanford just promoted their O.C. to H.C. I do not see any problems there. Luck is still the bestplayer in College Football as we speak. I think Stanford wins the Pac 12 because both Cal and Auburn were able to expose Oregon's offense.

As far as Boise State is concerned, they are the favorites to win the MWC. A win against Georgia in Atlanta makes them instant Top 10 material. They get Nevada, Air Force, and TCU at home. Boise State certainly has the talent to go undefeated again.

war seminole
    war seminole's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    No. 8 Florida State

No. 6 Texas A&M

These two dont belong. People want FSU to return to dominance, but that wont happen. FSU benefited from Miami(FL) being on probation, and cleaned up Floridas fertile recruiting grounds. Now they have competition, and wont be stacked a every position. Then they have a new QB. He may be talented, but I have yet to see anything from him that screams success..
    don't hate on the Noles. Jimbo has this ship sailing in the right way. A very good OL, deep at RB with 3 proven guys that carried the rock last year. A defense that looked pretty darn good last year and they only lost 2 starters. EJ Manuel is ready to replace CP7 and we won't miss a beat.

ringemup
    ringemup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3171

FSU will only get better, much to haters' dismay. fishers really turning the program around.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ch3fDan View Post
    Boise is horribly overrated in this.
    will be the same old for boise they will replace what they lost and keep rolling. I cant wait for that oregon/Lsu game @ cowboy stadium week 1

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Stanford just promoted their O.C. to H.C. I do not see any problems there. Luck is still the bestplayer in College Football as we speak. I think Stanford wins the Pac 12 because both Cal and Auburn were able to expose Oregon's offense.

As far as Boise State is concerned, they are the favorites to win the MWC. A win against Georgia in Atlanta makes them instant Top 10 material. They get Nevada, Air Force, and TCU at home. Boise State certainly has the talent to go undefeated again.
    Just pulled a look at teams that lose their coach to a "move up" situation; those teams lose over a game the next season on average compared to the final season of the coach who moved. Small sample right now, tho.

fletch49
    fletch49's Avatar Become A Pro!

Check out his June 21st blog. His indicators have Virginia Tech as the most likely team to go 12-0 this season.
    philsteele.com/blogs
    They aren't even in his top 10

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

Call me crazy, and I hate them, but I think Notre Dame might be deserving of a look.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Seems like everyone is forgetting about Ohio State in these rankings. Just because they have had some violations doesn't make their team any worse! Still have had a top recruiting class the last 4 years and those 4/5 Star players are now beginning to play along with some already proven starters. Clearly a homer, but just saying. Also I agree with Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, Texas A&M and LSU being up there, but Stanford I'm not really sold on, Florida State and Oklahoma state are just mediocre in my opinion, and Boise lost some key players. And South Carolina should be moved higher on the list, they could make a NC run.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19150

Quote Originally Posted by fletch49 View Post
    Check out his June 21st blog. His indicators have Virginia Tech as the most likely team to go 12-0 this season.
    philsteele.com/blogs
    They aren't even in his top 10
    This kind of thing is predicated on the schedule which is fine for futures and such. I think that I stated before I don't put much stock in Steele's rankings or his power ratings(yes, all 9 sets...what the****). I use his mag for the info and data. Does a nice job there in my opinion.

Wrecktangle

Here's some news: Phil Steele doesn't write "his" blogs.

and you will find differing info in the blogs vs on the rest of the site.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

Along the same lines, I often have wondered in the past few years if Phil does his own week to week handicapping anymore, or if he has become overly reliant on his staff to make his picks. Essentially, has he become more of an 'information service' rather than a 'handicapping service'? Over the past few years, he has really gone mainstream, and it seems like he is all about his preseason magazine and predictions as opposed to marketing himself as a handicapper. I'm wondering if anybody else has picked up on this and would be curious as to your thoughts. It almost seems as if he intentionally separates "Phil Steele" and "NC Sports" as two separate entities.

If true, however, I can't say I blame him. I'm sure that's where the money was at.

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by NSN21 View Post
    Along the same lines, I often have wondered in the past few years if Phil does his own week to week handicapping anymore, or if he has become overly reliant on his staff to make his picks. Essentially, has he become more of an 'information service' rather than a 'handicapping service'? Over the past few years, he has really gone mainstream, and it seems like he is all about his preseason magazine and predictions as opposed to marketing himself as a handicapper. I'm wondering if anybody else has picked up on this and would be curious as to your thoughts. It almost seems as if he intentionally separates "Phil Steele" and "NC Sports" as two separate entities.

If true, however, I can't say I blame him. I'm sure that's where the money was at.
    I've looked at Phil as pure info now for over 15 years, he was relevant in the 80s as a tout, skidded thru the 90s, and has gone over to the info side almost totally this past decade. Good thing, as his picks are crap.

I love his college annual, but he is slow to update his site with late changes.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Phil Steele is basically retired. Northcoast runs the show there. As far as Va. Tech running the table goes, schedule wise, they have the best shot. They lay a very soft non-con schedule, and get Miami and UNC at home, along with duccking Florida State, Maryland, and North Carolina State in the regular season. Their schedule is easier than Boise State's. Still, they are Va. Tech, and have a tendency to blow games, especially non-con games.

grilldog24
    lets go Tigers!
    grilldog24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

North coast is a pretty good tout service ! There big play do pretty well .Paper has alot of good information in it .Its worth paying for . DUCKS WILL RUN THE TABLE THIS YEAR . THEY ARE ON A MISSION

Wrecktangle

BD, perhaps you are right. We need to distinguish between Phil and the monster he created. Up till now I hadn't, going forward I will.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post

Boise could, as that weak as schedule will help them. TCU has QB issues, and GA is certainly not as good in the past. Any predictions on what the OU is for total Boise wins? BTW, that GA game is indoors, not out in the GA humidity/heat.

Any predictions on what the OU is for total Boise wins?

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

anyone know if georgia is supposed to be good? heard they will be hard to run on from a georgia alumn. dunno.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47428

just picked up his 2011 college preview the other day...Steele has Georgia as one of his most improved squads for 2011

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post

Any predictions on what the OU is for total Boise wins?
    The line has to be 11 wins, and I would imagine the under 11 will be like -160 or something.

If they set it at 10.5 wins and even if the over is -200 everyone will be betting the over.

The schedule is just too easy. They will go undefeated at home (TCU might be tough, but I wouldn't bet on them in Boise) and they have 1 tough road game, maybe 2 if you believe the San Diego St hype or that Fresno might do something.

12 Last