BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Very Early Look. Pac 12 North

How strange does that sound? Pac 12 North. This is the first year of divisional play for the Pac 12. Oddly enough, the two premier teams of last season find themselves in the same division, and not the one USC is in. An early look.

1. Stanford. This pick will surprise a lot of people, but Stanford gets the nod for two reasons. First, they host Oregon. Second, they have the best player in the Pac 12, if not the nation, returning. Andrew Luck is one of 5 starting offensive players returning for the Cardinal. The defense also returns only 5 starters. Stanford will have to fill in some holes on both sides of the ball, but last years revanped Stanford defense managed to pitch three shutouts and shut down Va. Tech in the Orange Bowl. Stanford should be undefeated until 10/29, when they start a tough three week run, at USC, at Oregon State, and hosting Oregon. That should decide things for the Cards in 2011.

2. Oregon. This team shocked the nation with it's speed oriented offense last season, and the offense returns it's star players. The Ducks do lose 3 starters on the line and two WR's. The defense is Oregon's problem, only returning 4 starters. If Oregon had a weak spot, it was the defense last season. The schedule is no bargain, opening up at Jerry world against LSU, and then playing at Stanford, followed immediately by home games against USC and Oregon State. The trouble with gimmick offenses is that they beome ineffective once they are figured out. Cal and Auburn figured out Oregon's gimmick offense. More teams will be able to do this in 2011.

3. Oregon State. This team would have been able to challenge the top two had it not been for the untimely and strange defenction of Jacquizz Rodgers to the FNL, especially since his borther decided to stay at Oregon State. Still, Oregon State whould have a good offense, with 8 returning starters, including QB Katz. The defense must replace 3 starters on the line, but little more. Oregon State gets a break in the schedule. Their non-con schedule is easier, with only a game at Wisconsin looming large. They also duck USC. The Beavers are the very definition of the word "sleeper" in 2012.

4. Washington. Yes they lose QB Locker, but Washington returns a ton of talent. Only two other losses hit the offense, and a total of three on the defense. Sark has done a good job rebuilding this program. The schedule presents a real challege. The Huskies paly 5 away games, but they are at Nebraska, Utah, Stanford, USC and Oregon State. The USC and Oregon State games are back to back, following a home game aginst Oregon. If Sark can manage this schedule, and continue to improve in recruiting, Washington may be a team to watch in 2012.

5. California. This team is a real puzzle. Tedford's team once again underachieved last season, losing their last 3 games at home, and failed to get to a bowl game for the first time in 7 years. On top of all of this, Cal loses QB Riley and RB Vereen on offense, plus two others. The defense returns 7 starters, but loses two starters on their three man front line. Their non-con schedule is not set as of yet, but Cal does play at Oregon and then hosts USC on back to back Thrusdays, and finishes the season at Stanford and Arizona State. Someting is wrong with the chemestry on this team. Tedford's seat has to be very hot now.

6. Washington State. This team won only two games last season, but managed to show improvment, going 6-4-1 ATS. Wazzu returns 7 starters on offense and defense. QB Tuel showed some promise last season. Non-con games against Idaho State and UNLV at home to start the season should get the Cougs off to a good start this season. They also go to Pac 12 South also-rans UCLA and Colorado. Make no mistake about it. Wazzu still has a long ways to go to become competitive, but the schedule this year allows them to possibly win 3 or 4 games, which would equal or exceed their total for the last two seasons.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Washington State has gone 2-10, 1-11 and 2-11 the past three years. Back in 2001 thru 2003 the Cougars went 10-2, 10-3, 10-3. Since 2003, Washington State has suffered through a 25-70 record. Maybe they should bring Mike Price back.

I know Pullman, Washington is located in the boonies but 4 wins in three years is pretty sorry.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

It is located in a beautiful part of Washington, but not very popular. Still, some recruiting rags have Mazzu's recruiting year ahead of UCLA's, located in Westwood, CA. one of the more expensive areas of Los Angeles. That shows you how bad UCLA recruiting really is.

WorkHorse

Bigdaddy, I would love to see Washington State play Vanderbilt opening week at Jerry's World. That would be a BARNBURNER. Both teams have won 4 games over the last two seasons.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Yes it would. Expectations would be at a fever pitch for both teams.

WorkHorse

bump

WorkHorse

Bigdaddy, how do you view the Pac North with spring practice completed? Any changes?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I need to mark this so I have it on ready review this Summer.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

No changes so far Workhorse. I still like Stanford. They host Oregon, and I think that is critical. Oregon must travel to Stanford the week after going on the road to play Washington, which is always a bitter rivalry game. I think Oregon's offense was exposed by Cal last year, and Auburn learned from that. I expect the other Pac 112 teams to catch on this season. Gimick offenses are only good for so long. Stanford has the best QB in the nation. Their former O.C. is not the H.C. I think Stanford wins the Pac 12 championship this season.