BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

A Very Early Look. Big 12-2

There will be lots of changes in the Big 12-2 this season. No Colorado or Nebraska. A Round Robin Schedule. No Championship game. The only thing that may not change is the eventual Conference Champion. An Early look.

1. Oklahoma. The Sooners return everyone on offense minus RB Murray. They are loaded, and should score just about at will. The defense loses two starters on the line, and both safeties. The schedule features games at Florida State and Oklahoma State. If OU can get past those two games, and get consistant play from their defense, they could easily find themselves in the N.C. game.

2. Oklahoma State. Much like OU, State returns everyone on offense minus RB Hunter and one lineman. They should have no problem scoring. The defense is where the work is needed. The Cowbows lose 3 starting linemen and 2 LB's. Okie State gave up 98 points in their two losses last season, and 28 or more points in 5 other games. If the Cowboys want to contend, that stat must improve. The schedule takes them to A&M, Texas, Missouri, and Texas Tech. That is a lot of tough conference road games.

3. Texas A&M. This team finished with 6 straight wins after a 3-3 start last season. The offense reurns 9 starters, but loses QB Johnson. The defense loses 3 starters, two of which are LB's. The schedules features a home game against Oklahoma State, followed by a trip to Jerryworld to play Arkansas. Those two game may tell the fate of A&M this season. They do travel to Norman to play OU. Let's see if H.C. Sherman can continu the improvment.

4. Missouri. Another successful 10 win season for H.C. Pinknel last year. His offense must replace QB Gabbert and RB Washington, but 8 other starters return. The defense loses DE Smith to the NFL, and 3 starters in the secondary, plus a LB. Missouri scored 17 points in both of their regular season losses last year, both on the road. This season, they get OU and A&M on the road. They also travel to Tempe to play Arizona State early on. That should give us a good indication of where this team is going this season.

5. Texas. This team is in total disarray at the coaching level, with many new assistant coaches arriving. On top of that, the Horns lose 6 starters on offense, 4 of which were on the line. The defense loses DE Acho, and both starting CB's. In order for Texas to succeed, they are going to need a lot more production from the offense, and and some consistancy from the defense. Games at Missouri and A&M near the end of the season do not help. Texas needs to produce a running game.

6. Baylor. Baylor started hot, then slumped badly at the end of the season. On offense QB Griffin and 9 others return. Griffin's health is critical to Baylor's offensive success. The defense loses 2 starting LB's, and 3 in the secondary, plus their NG. Baylor's defense was non-exiatant too may times last season, giving up 35 or more points 7 times. For Baylor to succeed, this must improve. Opening at home against TCU will show us how far this team can go this season.

7. Texas Tech. Graduation hit this team that underproduced last season very hard. The offense loses Their starting backfield and a WR, plus one on the line. The defense, which gave up 34 or more points 6 times last season, loses 5 starters. The schedule features games at OU, Texas, Missouri and Baylor. If T-Tech wants to improve, they are going to have to rebuild their offense and find some way of stopping their opponents from scoring.

8. Kansas State. K-State won 7 games last season, thanks in part to a very kind non-con schedule. That is not the case this year, losing a non-con game and going to Miami (FL). The offense loses their starting QB, RB, and 3 on the line. The defense loses 6 starters, and was very inconsistant last season. A pretty decent recruiting day, and some other signings will help this team in the future, but this season, 6 wins and another bowl trip would be a major accomplishment.

9. Kansas. Las season was terrible for 1st year HC Gill, but it did have it's moments, with upsets of Ga. Tech and Colorado. This season, Gill returns 9 starters on an offense that was just terrible last season, scoring 16 or less points in 9 games. The defense loses 6 starters, and was also very bad last season. Both kickers also graduate. With all of this going on, Kansas will have the luxury of flying under the radar. Kansas may be better, but will need a lot of improvment to win more than 3 games this season.

10. Iowa State. This team gets hit hard by graduation, losing 7 starters on offense, including their starting backfiekd and two WR's. The defense loses two on the line, and both starting safeties. Iowa State was very inconsistant on both sides of the ball last season. The losses on offense will not help the situation at all. Neither will the tough non-con schedule that takes them to UConn and has them hosting Iowa. It is tough to see more than 2-3 wins for this team this season.

Dr. Poker
    Dr. Poker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 260

very nice analysis. thanks. I agree with you 100% about Oklahoma and I'm not sure what the odds will be to win it all but I'd pound them at anything 8+ to 1 The only thing that they don't have going for them is "Big Game" Bob Stoops blowing it in the title game.

Since I follow Kansas closely I would add that they had a very successful recruiting season and should be playing a large number of these true freshmen right away. I would fade them (or stay away) in the beginning of the season and take them getting some serious points later in the big12 season as these talented (for KU football) freshmen should get acclimated and be able to make an impact and cover the spread.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

From what I have seen, OU is going to go off as the favorite to win the N.C, perhaps as low as 7/2.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I tend to think Texas will bounce back. Just to many good athletes.

One thing for sure...spring practice will be for men only. There will be some head knocking to find out who wants to play football.

The Horns will work hard on the running game this spring.

WorkHorse

Baylor should be strong on offense this season especially with Griffin back at QB. He's as good as anyone in the conference if he's healthy. You are right about the defense being bad. One would think after the big win over Texas that these guys would do everything possible to improve the D. I'd spend the entire spring building up the defense.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Here it is Workhorse. I bumped it for you. I really see no changes since I posted this. The spring did not lead to any shocking developments. It loooks as if this year's Big 12-2 battle comes down to the two Oklahoma teams.

WorkHorse

Bigdaddy, Oklahoma State should have some firepower on offense this season and they will need it having to travel to Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech and Missouri. Those teams will be difficult on the road.

Looking at your early preview and what I know now, I might move Texas A&M ahead of Oklahoma State. The more I look at the Aggies, the more I like them. I just don't have much confidence in the head coach but he does have some good assistants. Oklahoma Sooners are my clear favorites to win the conference.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Mike Sherman has a combined record of 19-19 at A&M. A&M runs hot and cold. They started last season at 3-0, then dropped 3 straight, then won their last 6 before losing in their bowl game to LSU. Sherman has not had a season at A&M without a 3 game losing streak. That certainly is a concern. He has also never defeated Arkansas. This season he gets a nice schedule, but he does play Oklahoma State at home, then Arkansas at Jerryworld, and then T-Tech on the road back to back to back. A&M also goes to Oklahoma.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Nice write up BD. I typically don't get this detailed into the teams until August. You guys really are 24-7 college freaks.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Wrecktangle, I do this as a business as well as a fan. This is the busy season for me.

WorkHorse

Wreck, the only dude that I know who loves college football more than me or the Muleriders is Bigdaddy. We started with Bigdaddy at EOG years ago.....god was that fun. Check out EOG's college football NOW. They ran both of us off because of sillyness and a focus on general forum vs individual sport. Funken place is a GHOST. Once was the best CFB forum going...barr none. You guys who know the General who was a mod here...ask him. The place rocked.

I have learned of late that SBR has some strong leadership at the top....we are in good hands here fellows. Bank on it.

T