BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Very Early Look. Big 10+2 Leaders.

I really shoud get about 1000 betpoints just for keeping a straight face when I refer to the Big 10 Conference's divisions as "Leaders" and "Legends". They should be named "Laggers" and "Losers". We will move on with the Leaders Division.

1. Ohio State. The Buckeyes should have enough to prevail in this division, even with the suspension of the "Tattoo 5" for the first 5 games of the season. Ohio State's bigger concern should be losing 6 out of 7 starters at LB and in the defensive secondary. Another concern is that when the 5 players return, their first game will be at Nebraska. Still, with the talent that other teams in the division lose, Ohio State should prevail.

2. Wisconsin. This team will be a ghost of last years team. They get hammered by graduation and NFL defections, losing 7 starters on offense. Their defense must lead the team while the offense is rebuilt, and while they only lose three starters, the defection of DE Watt to the NFL is huge. A realtively soft schedule keeps Wisconsin in 2nd place in this conference.

3. Penn State. Much like Wisconsin, the Lions get hit hard offensively by graduation, losing 6 starters including RB Royster. Joe Pa will have to depend on his defense to keep him in games early on. The difference between Penn State and Wisconsin is the schedule. Penn State's is brutal, with home games against Alabama, Iowa, and Nebraska, and finishing on the road against Ohio State and Wisconsin.

4. Illinois. This team surprised a lot of people last season, going 7-6, including a bowl win. The defenctions of RB LeShoure, DT Liuget, and LB Wilson hurt this team, and keep Illinois from competing with the top 3, but the Illini still have 7 starters returning on offense and 6 on defense. Their schedule features 8 home games including Ohio State and Wisconsin, and away games against Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota, as well as a rather soft non-con schedule. Keep your eyes on the Illini this season.

5. Purdue. QB Mauve returns with 6 other starters on offense, but the loss of two WR's does not help. The defense returns 9, but played very poorly in the last half of last season. After a win against Minnesota, Purdue was 4-2,and then lost every game for the rest of the season last year. This team must find some type of consistancy. Starting off the year at Rice, sandwiched in between home games against Middle Tennessee and Southeast Missouri State is a good way to develop that consistancy.

6. Indiana. It's the same old story every year for Indiana. They beat up on cream puff non-con teams, only to get crushed by their Big 10 opponents. Indiana has won 3 Big 10 games in 3 years. This season, they lose their QB, and two WR, plus the right side of the offensive line. They do get 9 back on defense, but that was the defense that gave up 83 to Wisconsin. This season they do host Virginia, and that game will tell us a lot about both of those teams. Indiana lacks talent. It is that simple.

Next Up. Big 10+2 "Legends"

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Good work BD.

Watching the quarterback situation at Ohio State will be interesting. I don't have their schedule in front of me but the first four games should set the stage for the season the Bucks will have.

I agree, the conference names are ridicules.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

You have to love a Zook coached team. As 20 point Dogs, they will win SU, and as 20 point favs they will lose SU.

Guy is an awesome recruiter, but couldnt coach his way out of a Pee Wee football league.

Ohio St. is as close to a SEC team the Big 10 has. They reload talent wise, never rebuild. The Vest is as conservative as it gets, and having the backup QB playing the first 5 games will not affect his coaching at all. He will just run the ball, and punt. Play defense, and slowly gain field position until they are in field goal range. They will win games 12- 7 constantly until Pryor returns. UNDER paradise.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Date Opponent Location Time (ET) Results Media
    Sat, Sep 03 Akron Columbus, Ohio TBA
    Sat, Sep 10 Toledo Columbus, Ohio TBA
    Sat, Sep 17 Miami (Fla.) at Miami, Fla. TBA
    Sat, Sep 24 Colorado Columbus, Ohio TBA
    Sat, Oct 01 Michigan State * Columbus, Ohio TBA

5 games without the suspended players may not be so bad. @ Miami and Michigan State will be their toughest test but Ohio State fans should feel good that they will return for the trip to Nebraska.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The problem is that these players will be rusty for the trip to Nebraska. That could make a big difference. But even with two conference losses, I still think Ohio State may have enough to win this division. Wisconsin is decimated on offense, and Penn State has the schedule from hell, finising with Nebraska, at Ohio State, and at Wisconsin.

WorkHorse

Looking at the Illinois schedule, one would think if Zook and staff can coach them up...they could have a pretty respectable season. Before last season, Zook made some much needed changes to his coaching staff bringing in Paul Petrino from Arkansas as offensive coordinator and Vic Koenning from Kansas as defensive coordinator. With a year under their belts to get to know the players and the players having a better understanding of what is expected of them.....could just be a sleeper in Big Ten.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Looking at the Illinois schedule, one would think if Zook and staff can coach them up
    Always a big if, when saying coaching and Zook in the same sentence.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Without a doubt. Some think that the Big 10 is going to be down this season. I can understand why. With their rather poor record in bowl games, plus some major hits via graduation and NFL defectors, I can understand that. It gives the also-rans a chance at an upset or two.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Braxton miller is on EspnU right now doing the skills challenge

keep in mind those buckeyes that are suspended will only be for 4 games after the trial

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I think the suspensions will be for 5 games.

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Love Iowa's schedule next year.

Lion4Life
    Lion4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good job on the write ups

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ohio State will have a cup cake schedule as usual.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I'm not too sure about that. They go to Miami (Fl), a very hungry team that may finally get rid of Harris, and get a QB that will not give games away, without the tattoo 5. They go to Nebraska, the week after the tattoo 5 return, all nice and rusty. They host Michigan State without the tattoo 5. The rest of the schedule is certainly manageable unless they fall asleep at home against Wisconsin, which I doubt will happen.

WorkHorse

Ohio State just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. This Tressel mess could get ugly before its all over. It will be interesting come September how the team responds with this sideshow going on.

WorkHorse

BigDaddy, what's your take on all this Ohio State mess. I'm more interested in SEC and your survey of all college football. Looks to an outsider that Wisconsin is smiling bigtime right now. I'm kind of out of the loop....what about the Big 10 now with Ohio State having some problems? Wisconsin has been steady and has to get a strong look...just my opinion Bud.

What do you think?

ready-set-tilt
    ready-set-tilt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ron Zook's quote "Its not about Xs and Os, its about Jessies and Joes" should read: "I am a terrible coach but a great recruiter. Hire me for a couple years so I can replenish your talent level with great recruiting and then fire me for a better coach who can do something with that talent"