BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Very Early Look. Big East

Can the Big East possibly be as bad this season as they were last season? In a word, yes. The Conference will be hit very hard by graduation, NFL defections, and coaching changes. Still, we have to pick someone, so here goes.

1. Rutgers. Why? Because they have 10 starters returning on offense. This is head coach Schlano's chance to prove that he is a legitimate head coach and that Rutgers has a legitimate program. They get a huge break in the schedule, playing West Virginia, South Florida, Pitt and Cincinnati at home. If they can find any semblence of a defense, they should be the favorites to win the Big East.

2. Cincinnati. The Bearcats return their QB, RB, and some WR's but must replace 3 on the line. The defense returns intact. If that defense can improve, look for Cincinnati to be back in the fight for the Big East crown. If not, it will be a long season. Butch Jones will feel a little heat this season.

3. Pittsburgh. Pitt got ripped by the early defections of RB Lewis, FB Hynoski, and WR Baldwin. The good news is that the offsesive line will have plenty of experience, and the defense loses only 3 starters. Pitt plays 8 home games this season, but their non-con schedule includes a game at Iowa, and Notre Dame and Utah at home. If new HC Graham can find an offense, Pitt will be the thick of things.

4. South Florida. Holtz did an admirable job with this team last season. The bad news is that only 5 starters return on each side of the ball. The good news is that QB Daniels is one of those returnees. I liked the way USF finished the season, even though they lost a tough game to UConn. Holtz returns to South Bend for game one against Notre Dame. That may tell us how he will fare in 2011.

5. West Virginia. It's not so much the fact that the defense gets ripped by graduations and defections. They lose 8 starters. It is not so much that RB Devine and 3 others depart from the offense. What hurts West Virginia is their current coaching fiasco. I do not like "lame duck" head coaches, and that is what Stewart is. This cannot be a good thing for the team. West Virginia goes into a transitional state this season.

6. UConn. UConn loses their top playmakers on offense, plus a couple of linemen. They also lose 4 on the defense including two LB's. But the biggest loss came when Randy Edsell headed South to Maryland. Enter Paul Pasqualoni, the long time former head coach of Syracuse. He has been out of football for 6 years. Let's give him a year to get his feet wet before we go looking for a championship. He does have a very soft non-con schedule.

7. Lousiville. A solid first season under Charlie Strong may bode well for the Cards, but the still lose a lot of talent. Gone is QB Froman and 4 of the starting 5 offensive linemen, as well as 5 starters on defense. A very challenging schedule sees the Cards playing North Carolina, Kentucky, and 4 Big East teams on the road. Will Strong have another successful year, or will the sophmore jinx strike yet again?

8. Syracuse. It is tough picking the Orange this low after such a successful season in 2010, but graduation really kills them. They lose 6 on offense, including 4 on the line, and 8 starters on defense, including all 3 LB's and 3 in the secondary. HC Marrone has a huge rebuilding job ahead of him. Well, at least he gets to take a trip to sunny California when he plays USC in Los Angeles.

Just a note here. This is by far, the toughest conference to call. Any one of the eight teams can win this conference, or finish dead last. The winner could have 4 losses, and the last place team could have 4 wins.

Next up: The Big 10 Leaders.

john2153
    john2153's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8329

I'd be shocked if Rutgers won the league. My early favorite for next year is South Florida.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Louisville wins the Big East next year

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Good summaries BigDaddy.

The West Virginia situation will be worth watching. A head coach the school doesn't want and the future head coach who will take over next year.

Got to wonder who will actually be calling the shots.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Nice write up. Any idea of how well returning starters correlate to wins?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It goes further than that. Returning starters often mean success in early games, and early game success can set a tone for the entire season. Returning players in the skill positions are normally more important than returning linemen on offense. Just look what happened to Texas last season when they lost their #1 QB and WR. OU on the other hand, brought back their #1 QB, all of their WR's, and their #1 RB.

DblDeuce
    DblDeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the write-up!

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

Can the Big East possibly be as

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by bornselling View Post
    Can the Big East possibly be as
    .. Shitty as last year?? Yes

The Big East is depending on two teams to pull them out of the depths of football hell.. South Florida, and Pittsburgh.

USF, b/c they have Holtz. After what he did @East Carolina, I know he will find success anywhere. He is able develop talent, and procure talent. I dont see USF on any of the recruiting sites, but I know they will be better than Miami(FL). I base that purely on Holtz coaching acumen.

Pittsburgh, b/c Wannestad could recruit. Thats about all. His ran his practices like they were preparing for an all-star game. No pads, or contact. He ran a highly conservative defense that involved no blitzing. Who in the hell currently in college or NFL doenst blitz??

I know Lewis left, but the backup was awesome this year though., and Wanny most likey has some guys that were on the bench that are capable Big East players.

Whoever their coach is this year, he will be a better coach than Wanny. But as the years pass on recruiting will fall off. This year they should be fine.

Oh yeah let me add that Pittsburgh needs to pull their head out of their ass, and realize they are a regional power, not nationally respected by any means. They fired Wanyy b/c they think of themselves as some national power, but they arent. Their perception of themselves is not reality.

Good write up BigDaddy.

bacon22
    bacon22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1279

Why does everyone say the Big East had a bad year when they had one of the best winning percentages of all conferences in bowl games?

WorkHorse

Hammer down Bacon.

The Big East has gone 36-23 in bowl games since 1998. The past four years have been a sizzling 16-6.

Damn strong as long as we don't discuss the 'lightweigh bowl schedule'. I won't but bet BD will.

Kaplan
    Kaplan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 865

I look for UC to win the Big East next year. Shot themselves in the foot alot this past year. If they cut down on the mistakes, they will be the best team in the league.

WorkHorse

bump