4seasons
    4seasons's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sweet sugarbowl selection

Razorbacks (AR) / Buckeyes (OH) at The Superdome:

When looking at their strength of schedules and wins, each team appears to be a solid oppenent for one another. With AR 10-2 and OH 11-1, and both on a roll, what's the play? Let's first look at what they've done lately? AR 5-0 ATS in their last 5, with OH being 4-0-1. AR covering easily at home as a 20+ point favorite, against Vandy and UTEP. OH covering easily as a 17+ point favorite in 4 of those last 5, against Purdue, @ Minn, Penn ST & Michigan. [I'll qualify the OH win over Penn ST as easy, even though they only covered by 4 points, by the fact that OH outscored Penn ST in the 2nd half by 35-0]. AR won as a 4 point dog at S. Caro, and OH (favored by 3) pushed at Iowa. In each of their prior games, AR favored by 3.5 won over LSU 31-23, and OH favored by 17 beat the Wolverines 37-7. Nothing really stands out that favors one over the other here. If anything, I'd say with AR's opponents of LSU, S. Caro & Miss ST each being ranked in the top 25, and with none of OH's last 5 opponents currently ranking in the top 25, that AR has had the tougher schedule.

What to look for next is their rankings. With OH being ranked # 6, and AR being ranked # 8, how much tougher was AR's schedule if OH is ranked higher? Naturally having 2 losses, verse having only 1, is the reason OH is ranked higher then AR. However, with AR appearing to have the tougher schedule, how much value is in those rankings? Is this setup for the lower ranked and thus seemingly inferior AR, to upset OH? How much inferior, if at all, is AR to OH? Better check your stats.

Stats as follows:

In the 6 main (per game averages) categories, pts for/against, pass yds/rush yds, pass D/rush D ... OH takes 5 of 6. The only 1 of 6 AR takes, is in pass yds (338 to 229), which to me is the least important category of the 6. Pts for is about the same, with OH 39 & AR 37, I'd give a couple to AR for the tougher schedule. Pts against is the most important category, with OH's paltry 13.3, verse AR's 22.8. Even if you give AR a couple here on the strength of schedule, OH giving up an average of less than 14 points per game is impressive, and signs of an extremely tight D. Now next to D, what wins football games is the ability to run the ball, and then stop the run.

Being able to run the ball controls the game, the tempo, and keeps their D on the field while your D rests. In rush yds, OH exceeded AR by 70 yds/game (220 vs. 150). Being able to rush for over 200 yds per game is HUGE! How about stopping the run? While AR gave up over 157 on the ground, OH gave up less than 100. In fact, OH gave up less than 95! Giving up less than 95 rush yds per game is even more HUGE!!

In pass D, OH is 156 to AR's 182. OH on overall scoring is ranked # 11, to AR's ranking of # 16. OH's D on overall points is # 3, to AR's # 44. Having the number 3 D, and the ability to run, here you start to lean towards taking OH, and seriously looking at the Under.

Breaking down the teams' prior games:

AR's QB Mallett threw for 320 yds on only 13 of 23 completions. One bomb to Cobi Hamilton that went for 85 yds, is how you get those kind of stats. I venture to say, Mallett will not be throwing for over 300 yds against OH's D, and certainly not 300+ on just 13 catches. Mallett was sacked four (4) times, and threw 2 INT's. He rushed 5 times for -15 yds, and a long of just 4 (which doesn't seem that he's too mobile).

OH's QB Pryor completed 18 of 27 for 220 yds, while using six (6) different receivers (IN AR's last game Mallett only used 4 different receivers). Pryor was sacked once, and threw one INT. Pryor rushed 12 times for +49 yds., and having a QB who can scramble, makes it a lot tougher on D.

Mallett being sacked 4 times, and rushing for negative yards, has me leaning more towards OH. Pryor throwing to six (6) different guys, and being able to run, poses a decent threat by OH's O not to mention the run game with Daniel Herron for over 8 yds a carry on the ground.

Figure OH's D will keep Mallett from running, and OH double teams Hamilton his biggest threat. OH's linebackers neutralize Wright & Adams, and so what's AR got left? Knile Davis. Davis had 30 carries for 152 yds with a long of only 14. Doesn't seem as potent an O to me compared to a QB who can run for 12 times averaging 4.1 per run, having six (6) guys to throw to, and six (6) more guys who can run the ball. AR D better be on its toes. Herron's longest run in his last game went for 89 big ones.

As always, comes down to who controls the line, and who can run/move the ball. If had the time, another great stat to know is the size of the starting linemen. Who has the bigger/stronger guys up front, and also who has seniority? Like to have those seniors who'll play their butts off, and not have those freshmen who tend to make costly mistakes.

Now to check the teams' recent Bowl histories:

AR has lost 7 of their last 10 Bowl games, beating E. Caro by only 3 last year, for 1 of their 3 wins. Really starting to not like AR at all today against OH. OH has lost 5 of their last 10 Bowl games, however, last year they defeated Oregon in the Rose Bowl. The AR post season, fact is they've only won 3 of their last 16 Bowl games (OH has won 8 of their last 16). OH shut down a very high powered offense in last year's Rose Bowl. Ducks scored like 40 points a game easy, but in a big game against OH, Ducks could only muster 17. Those Ducks, are the team that is playing for this year's Championship. So in last year's postseason, you got AR squeaking by E. Caro 20-17. and OH roses over a strong OR.

Checking on the head coaches:

Bobby Petrino and Jim Tressel ... who you got? Petrino (born in 1961), has only been at AR for 3 years. Tressel (born in 1952), is in his 10th season at OH. In his 2nd year at OH (in 2002), OH under Tressel won it all going 14-0, which hadn't been done by a major college football team since 1897 (when Penn went 15-0). Since then, OH's record under Tressel is a lofty 11-2, 8-4, 10-2, 12-1, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, and 11-1 (so far this season). Definitely doing something right, knows how to win, and Tressel is 105-22 career at OH. Petrino is 23-14 career at AR. Petrino most assuredly, will have his hands full of Tressel, and the only way I see AR winning this game is if Davis outruns Herron. You think Petrino can figure out how to accomplish that over Tressel? I don't.

Here's how the line looks:

Basically it's OH -3, with some having OH -3.5. When looking at the line history, it appears many Books that offer -3 now, at some point were offering -3.5 and so seems a majority like AR +3.5. Bookmaker & Diamond for example were OH -3.5 on 1/1/11, but now are at OH -3. Evidently seems too many are on AR +3.5, and that caused it to go to AR + 3 at many Books. To the layman, getting 3 plus the hook looks tempting. OH winning by a field goal, and not covering 3.5, is what all those +3.5 takers forsee. Figure a lot of Joe Public is on AR +3.5, and fading Joe P. is usually a smart play.

Now whether you take OH -3 or -3.5, you're betting OH wins by 4 or more. So when the Book dangles that hook, and lures in more $ on AR, I say give it and look for OH to win by double digits. After Pinnaclesports opened the line at -3, they're one of the Books still offering -3.5. Pinny saying, you want that hook, come and get it. Meanwhile, if you give the hook, +106 odds. OH -3.5 at Pinny was as high as +111 odds, and since has dropped to the +106. Seems some are with me in giving that dreaded hook, and expecting AR to be outcoached, outplayed and outscored by at least 4. Then, AR folds like AR basically does at this time of year, and bows to an illustrious OH Program.

Keys:

Got OH as the #3 D in the nation, giving up an average of less than 14 points/game, and not giving up any cheap points. Got OH who can run, and AR who can't stop the run. Got OH with a QB that can scramble and spread the ball around, and AR with a QB who in his last game was sacked four (4) times, ran for negative yards, and threw to just 4 different receivers for just 13 completions. Got OH with the program, the coach, the win. OH shutting down high-powered OR in last year's Rose Bowl, and AR squeaking by E. Caro, the play today is O. State. AR is a solid team, and give Petrino some props for making his team much better each year he's been there. Though to win a game like this, in prime-time, on nationwide TV, it's all about the D and the ground game. Preparation and game plan are also enormously important. You know OH under Tressel, the team will be ready to go. AR under Petrino, just do not see them in this game in the end.

The Play:

OH -3
    Last edited by 4seasons; 01-04-11 at 09:22 AM.

4seasons

Last year, OH in the Rose Bowl against OR was a 4.5 point dog, held the OR O to 7 points in the entire 2nd half, and covered easily. You'd think OR would have walked all over OH, instead OH shut them down and won outright easily. Do you think last year's Duck O is better than this years Ark's O? I sure don't.

Duby
    Duby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4602

Very nice writeup! I'm still undecided but my numbers also point toward Ohiost.

GL

4seasons

Mallett has already set school record for TD passes, and Pryor can set school QB rush record with 18 more yards. You know Pryor will be looking to run to break that record. You know a mobile QB wreaks havvoc on a D, and opens up many options. Mallett can drop back and pass, or hand off to Davis, but he's not going anywhere. I don't forsee OH having problem stopping AR's O. I do see Petrino in just his 3rd year, not outcoaching Tressel in his 10th. AR folds tonight, and OH wins easy in the end.

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
    Last year, OH in the Rose Bowl against OR was a 4.5 point dog, held the OR O to 7 points in the entire 2nd half, and covered easily. You'd think OR would have walked all over OH, instead OH shut them down and won outright easily. Do you think last year's Duck O is better than this years AR's O? I sure don't.
    CORRECTION: Not 'I sure don't' ... it's I sure do think last year's Duck O is by far better than this year's Ark O. Well, maybe not by far, but last year's Duck O did put up bigger numbers than this year's AR O.

Plus1
    Plus1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1385

Nice write-up. I disagree with it, but nice nonetheless. If the OSU linebackers are holding down Wright and Adams (which won't happen, they are way too fast), who will slow down Macky award winner, DJ Williams? Also, if you are going to mention Arkansas' Noel record, why not mention OSU being 0-9 versus the SEC? Just a couple of things that jped out at me....

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Duby View Post
    Very nice writeup! I'm still undecided but my numbers also point toward Ohiost.

GL
    TY Mate & U2

rainmaker82
    rainmaker82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

CORRECTION: Not 'I sure don't' ... it's I sure do think last year's Duck O is by far better than this year's Ark O. Well, maybe not by far, but last year's Duck O did put up bigger numbers than this year's AR O.

Think it might be a little easier to put up those numbers out west then down south. Surely everyone agrees on that.

Plus1
    Plus1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1385

This may be Petrino's 3rd year at Arkansas, but it's definitely not his first rodeo. If you recall, he took a miserable Louisville program and led them to an Orange Bowl victory. So I'm not sure your coaching edge is quite as decisive as you claim....jmo

Mallett has already set school record for TD passes, and Pryor can set school QB rush record with 18 more yards. You know Pryor will be looking to run to break that record. You know a mobile QB wreaks havvoc on a D, and opens up many options. Mallett can drop back and pass, or hand off to Davis, but he's not going anywhere. I don't forsee OH having problem stopping AR's O. I do see Petrino in just his 3rd year, not outcoaching Tressel in his 10th. AR folds tonight, and OH wins easy in the end.

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Plus1 View Post
    Nice write-up. I disagree with it, but nice nonetheless. If the OSU linebackers are holding down Wright and Adams (which won't happen, they are way too fast), who will slow down Macky award winner, DJ Williams? Also, if you are going to mention Arkansas' Noel record, why not mention OSU being 0-9 versus the SEC? Just a couple of things that jped out at me....
    Looking at last year's bowl game, where OR appeared to have a vastly superior O, going up against OH superior's D is one thing. It's recent, many players who played in that game will play in this one, and both teams were ranked about the same as the teams in this game tonight. OH shut down the Big OR O in the 2nd half. How'd they do it, and doesn't D usually trump O?

This 0-9 vs. the SEC goes back how many decades, and how many of the 9 losses was Tressel a part of? The stat goes back at least 2 full years, and to me doesn't hold much weight. If anything, a winner like Tressel, will eventually overcome that donut.

I do appreciate the feedback Duby, and it is duly noted.

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker82 View Post
    Think it might be a little easier to put up those numbers out west then down south. Surely everyone agrees on that.
    I do, however, my main point is that as an underdog against a far superior OR O, OH came home with the upset because of D. I see the OH D tonight, though they're not a dog, repeating.

Buckeye5234
    Buckeye5234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 222

Very impressive write up after reading that I'd bet my first born child on my buckeyes

rainmaker82
    rainmaker82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

I do, however, my main point is that as an underdog against a far superior OR O, OH came home with the upset because of D. I see the OH D tonight, though they're not a dog, repeating.
    I got ya. I didn't mean to sound like a dick if i did. I'm not sure which way i'm going to bet, but your write up was nice. Got me leaning to the bucks lol.

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Plus1 View Post
    This may be Petrino's 3rd year at Arkansas, but it's definitely not his first rodeo. If you recall, he took a miserable Louisville program and led them to an Orange Bowl victory. So I'm not sure your coaching edge is quite as decisive as you claim....jmo
    What I see is that after the nice 41-9 run at Louisville, he becomes the head coach of NFL Atlanta, goes 3-10, and bails after one season as the Falcons' organization is marred by the Vick fiasco. Would've liked to have seen Petrino rise to the occasion, overcome and achieve success by building a winning team, instead of getting out of Dodge after one brief stint while hoping nobody's looking. Just look at what the Falcons are doing now ... without Vick! A winning team was built a couple years later after Petrino bailed, and for that I do not hold high esteem for Petrino.

On the other side, after Tressel went undefeated and won it all in 2002, the man is immortalized like that of Don Shula. He's 105-22 in 10 years, and is one of only 66 men who in the history of the game have achieved at least 200 wins. Petrino has got 63 so far to his credit. Compare 63 to 240 career NCAAF wins, and if nothing else, Tressel has way more experience than Petrino, and I think is a genius when it comes to making half-time adjustments.

Just saw an interview with Petrino, who looks good all dressed up. For some reason I thought while Tressel will wear his red vested team sweater, Petrino would dress like Bill Belichick and be in sweat pants and a hoody. So those folks in Arkansas do know how to tie a tie ... j/k

4seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye5234 View Post
    Very impressive write up after reading that I'd bet my first born child on my buckeyes
    I wouldn't bet the whole first born on this one, but maybe I'd risk 3/4ths.

beeney24
    needs winners !
    beeney24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

My keys to this game/ Sanzenbacker needs to get 10 targets on offense...and the front 4 on d need to get pressure on Mallethead--if so the buckeyes win...if not-- 0-9

4seasons

Saw that line go up in last year's Rose Bowl making the Ducks a 4.5 point favorite, when OH came home with the W. Can't help noticing the money line moving in the game tonight making AR less of an underdog (they were like +145 and now down to +120). Folks leaning on AR, which for some reason makes me feel even more comfortable. When folks lean heavy on my side, always makes me worry.

4seasons

Even if OSU outscores Ark by 14 in the 2nd Half, which will never happen (don't think Ark outscores them at all much less 14), OSU will still cover that -3.5 that just tantalized so many.

4seasons

Congratulations TO:

THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

4seasons

Welcome to the 4seasons Post Posting Show ...

First, where was I wrong?

the only way I see AR winning this game is if Davis outruns Herron. You think Petrino can figure out how to accomplish that over Tressel?

Well Davis did get more yds than Herron, just too bad for AR Petrino couldn't figure out how to not give up 115 to Pryor.

look for OH to win by double digits

Was looking when OH was up by 21, though they covered the 3 and the hook, they didn't clamp down well enough in the 2nd half.

AR under Petrino, just do not see them in this game in the end

Not only was AR in it, they had every chance to win it due to a host of blunders.

Quite the passive 2nd half for OH, as to be expected with a big lead. Just don't expect to have refs who can't properly spot the ball, like on that safety call. Once the runner's forward progress stops at the 2 yard line, and he's stopped then pushed back to the goal line that's it ... whistles should blow ... play should be over ... ball spotted at the 2. You don't get a safety on that one in my book. Couple of other critical spots where it seems OH got shortchanged. Meanwhile, took a replay for them to call back an AR TD when the player's wrist was down.

Then, you have Herron losing the ball on a would be critical first down. You have Dylan Breeding pinning OH deep inside the 5 yd line 3 straight times. On the other side, OH special teams has a punt blocked, which was a recipe for an OH disaster and an AR tremendous victory if only they knew how to cook up a game-winning drive.

The show will continue later ...

4seasons

The Truths ...

Being able to rush for over 200 yds per game is HUGE!

220 for OH to be exact

While AR gave up over 157 on the ground, OH gave up less than 100. In fact, OH gave up less than 95! Giving up less than 95 rush yds per game is even more HUGE!!

Officially 89 rush yds for AR

Mallett will not be throwing for over 300 yds against OH's D

277 to be exact

Mallett being sacked 4 times, and rushing for negative yards, has me leaning more towards OH

Got sacked 4 more times, threw 1 INT and get this ... 4 rushes for -56 yds!!!

(which doesn't seem that he's too mobile)

He isn't

having a QB who can scramble, makes it a lot tougher on D

Pryor can boogie

fading Joe P. is usually a smart play

If it wasn't, the Books wouldn't be in business

Pinny saying, you want that hook, come and get it

The hook can be life or death, and it can be brutal. When the Book instead of offering 3 points, says we'll give you 3 and-a-half, you know the purpose of that is to get more folks on the side of the dog. You know that the Book wants more folks on the side of the dog, if they got the favorite covering. So by making the line 3.5, not only does the dog become more attractive than just +3, folks will tend to shy away from 2 key areas for the Book. First, some favorite backers as oppose to giving the 3.5 at 11/10 odds, will not want to mess with that, and will just take the ML and settle for 15/10 odds. So now, not only has the Book attracted more to take the dog at 3.5, they also get some favorite backers settling for less odds by taking the money line instead of the point spread. When you see -3.5, you've got to take a good hard look at the favorite.

Certainly the -3.5 fave doesn't always cover when this line is offered, so if you don't like the fave, you need to seriously consider taking the dog money line (ML) ... get 'em straight up (SU) baby. If the dog wins, Book much rather pay you 11/10 on the 3.5 point spread, verse paying you 10/13 on the ML. So either way, the 3.5 line lures the Public to the Book's favor (as always). And, AR was either going to win this game SU, or OH was going to cover. Chances are, there's no middle going to happen.

Keys

Nailed 'em head on

4seasons

The Wrap Up ...

Oh sugar baby, what a treat that was for OH backers. You know football is quite the team sport, that involves 4 quarters and 2 halves. The way the OH D started the game, with a 3 & out on AR's 1st series, and then that 1st OH TD the momentum right off the top was all OH. OH came right out and took control of the game like you want your fave to do. AR seemed to get down on themselves a bit, and before you know it they were down 28-10 at the half.

One thing about that 1st half, the dropped balls by those AR receivers right out the gate, and throughout the game made a significant difference in this game. Always prompts the question of ... are they not good, not prepared, or taking a dive? This is where coaching, preparation, execution and teamwork determines who wins. When I say football is quite the team sport, your QB, ball carriers, game plan, play calling which enabled first down plays, even your punter can all be solid, and with just the receivers having an off day the team loses.

Tressel and his guys were up and ready for this game, or they would have lost. What a character Tressel is, with his Mr. Rogers look, and his sweet personality. Even when voicing displeasure with the refs, like when they called a false start which was clearly an AR offsides (yet they still allowed the play to run), saw Tressel working the refs without seeing veins pulsating from his neck. A real winner and class act that Mr. Tressel is, and how about the poise of his team when they scored? Class and sign of a genuine champion they are, and even saw Tressel on the fielld getting his players untangled and remaining focused when needed.

This game, as the prior stats showed, was basically about OH being able to run, and AR not being able to stop 'em. And, the OH D, # 3 in the country, when the game was on the line in the end, when it came down to who would turn out to be the winner ... Ark was still dropping balls, and the outside blitz and inside guy dropping back into coverage play for the INT was awesome. The OH D was there when the game was on the line. The OH O was pinnned deep with constant poor starting field position, and the OH D had to rise tall. They rose strong as a team victorious as one, and brought us all home some sugar.
    Last edited by 4seasons; 01-05-11 at 04:17 AM.

4seasons

PS OH suffered some injuries that 2nd half, and were playing some 3rd/4th stringers which enabled the game to get close, yet Coach Tressel and his entire team closed this one out beautifully.

SBR Posting Record:

1-0 (NCAAF / PS) ... let the streak and money train roll

KGB
    KGB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Nicely done. Do you do similar analysis on every bowl game?

4seasons

Thanks KGB. I'll do this when there's a game that intrigues me, and as time permits. Stay tuned.