Hotlanta Steam
    3 days till my Christmas
    Hotlanta Steam's Avatar Become A Pro!

Newton declared eligible by NCAA

Unbeknownst to us all...Newton was ruled ineligible on Monday evening... with no announcement... However he has been reinstated by NCAA this morning.

So in effect no change...except that Dad was indeed dirty and was asking for money... This is now FACT not hearsay to all you Auburn whiners out there who claimed it was all bull roar...

I still expect more to come out but he seems clear until this Saturday and likely the Nat Champ game or Bowl Game...

1teamparlay
    1teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!

The NCAA has declared him eligible the rest of the season as part of this. SO they are declaring that a violation occurred but the NCAA is saying that there is no evidence that Cam had anything to do with it so they have reinstated him as long as Auburn limits his father's access to the program.

So Cam is free!

Hotlanta Steam
    3 days till my Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by 1teamparlay View Post
    So Cam is free!
    Minus the $200k that Auburn paid Papa Cecil so he could fix up his beat down church...

SimonSayz
    SimonSayz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3180

Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete's eligibility be reinstated. Reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA national office staff and can include conditions such as withholding from competition and repayment of extra benefits. Newton was reinstated without any conditions.

According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete's father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton's commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

In conjunction with the case, Auburn University has limited the access Newton's father has to the athletics program and Mississippi State has disassociated the involved individual.

"The conduct of Cam Newton's father and the involved individual is unacceptable and has no place in the SEC or in intercollegiate athletics," said Mike Slive, Southeastern Conference Commissioner. "The actions taken by Auburn University and Mississippi State University make it clear this behavior will not be tolerated in the SEC."

"Our members have established rules for a fair and equal recruitment of student-athletes, as well as to promote integrity in the recruiting process," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs. "In determining how a violation impacts a student-athlete's eligibility, we must consider the young person's responsibility. Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity, which led to his reinstatement. From a student-athlete reinstatement perspective, Auburn University met its obligation under NCAA bylaw 14.11.1. Under this threshold, the student-athlete has not participated while ineligible."

"We are pleased that the NCAA has agreed with our position that Cam Newton has been and continues to be eligible to play football at Auburn University," Auburn University Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. "We appreciate the diligence and professionalism of the NCAA and its handling of this matter. "

During the reinstatement process, NCAA staff review each case on its own merits based on the specific facts. Staff decisions are made based on a number of factors including guidelines established by the Division I NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, as well as any mitigating factors presented by the university.

Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete's involvement are determined. The reinstatement process is likely to conclude prior to the close of an investigation. It is NCAA policy not to comment on current, pending or potential investigations.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

wow.....so....feigning ignorance is now the ultimate alibi?

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

The NCAA is opening up a can of worms. It's OK to whore out your son as long as the son doesn't know about it.

This thing is far from over. In the text Simon posted it says "Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process." More to come for sure.

kalamity85
    kalamity85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

i'm confused. so did cam newton's father actually receive money when cam signed with auburn?

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Auburn would of lost Vs. Alabama there would of been a different ruling...

bypp
    bypp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 193

wow. so that's why the game was off the board all week

playit
    playit's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm confused. so did cam newton's father actually receive money when cam signed with auburn?
    THis is all for Cecil Newton talking to Mississippi State about the $$. There haven't been any allegations (yet) that Cecil Newton asked Auburn for money or that Auburn paid anything.

spongerat
    spongerat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

looks good for auburn and the NC

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

nobody receives money or is given anything. all schools are clean always. if someone says they are clean they are, that is the truth.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue
    Ch3fDan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

I doubt that, Auburn would still be a BCS team and that wouldn't change much. It will be interesting to see how the Heisman pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    If Auburn would of lost Vs. Alabama there would of been a different ruling...

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete's involvement are determined. The reinstatement process is likely to conclude prior to the close of an investigation. It is NCAA policy not to comment on current, pending or potential investigations.

sounds like the investigation continues..... what we know now is that cam's daddy shopping him around is now considered factual and no longer an "allegation". whether or not the ncaa finds proof that auburn (or auburn boosters) paid cecil or his church remains to be seen.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

At least we now know that Cecil, Ncaa, and Sec have said that it DID happen. This is the important part.
    To quote Chris Walsh "There's no more speculating, the heart of the scandal is true and the only questions now are who was involved and how far did it go."

Hotlanta Steam
    3 days till my Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    The NCAA is opening up a can of worms. It's OK to whore out your son as long as the son doesn't know about it.

This thing is far from over. In the text Simon posted it says "Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process." More to come for sure.
    I enjoyed Wetzel's column today on the exact same thing... interesting that it included Sonny Vaccaro (well know brother of Jimmy Vaccaro)... I am just waiting until we start seeing more stories about the Pump twins and how many player's parents that they got money for when the kid "had no idea"....

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

USC gonna leave a pile of crap on the NCAA's doorstep for this. What a crock of shit this is...guess it helps to know the right people in the right places.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

This story makes no sense. How can they say his amateur status was violated yet no penalties? I love the SEC but seems to me this is a case where sec is getting favorable treatment due to financial implications.

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

No way he went to Auburn for "free" if he was looking to get $200k from Miss St. It's that simple.

Poster X
    Poster X's Avatar Become A Pro!

certainly opens up a can of worms.

1teamparlay
    1teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!

It doesn't open up a can of worms. It takes the system and shoves a huge pile of worms down its throat.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Soliciting $200k for son's abilities is better than selling your jersey, riding in a golf cart or lying about an illegal BBQ. Loopholes FTW!

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Auburn is dirty. Wait til this gets blown wide open. Reggie Bush 2.0.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Auburn ruled him ineligible and then the NCAA reinstated him
    the NCAA enforcement division will still investigate, and this is far from over. it will just drag out like the Bush case.
    this was just a sweep it under the rug move for now...

NCAA opened a can of worms.
    but money rules at the end of the day and Cam being ineligble is not good for the bottom line

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Its a bunch of BS. On a side note wish me luck this weekend. Im going to the SEC championship game, sitting in the SEC West section and will be wearing Crimson and cheering for South Carolina as loud as I did last year for Bama. My fiance is scared im gonna get jumped. I just let her know I have a lot of built up frustration from last weekends collapse and I will deal with it accordingly.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

he is cleared to play but not cleared from the investigation. he will go down. it might be 2 months, it might be 3 years, but he is NOT cleared from the investigation.
    note the wording
    "AT THIS TIME cam newton has been ruled eligible to play"
    AT THIS TIME=right now, but maybe not later