WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Urban Meyer - 59 wins..30 Arrest

Remember when "Thug U" was located south of Gainesville down in Miami. Well, that's all changed. The University of FLORIDA has taken over the Thug title for the state in a big way. 30 football players have been arrested during Meyer's tenure.

Miami has become tame compared to the Gators.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

The cost of victory is high...so are the rewards.

PuckCoach
    PuckCoach's Avatar Become A Pro!

...and 1 heart attack. No wonder he's so stressed in Florida.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

I am a UF grad - so a little biased - but if they are getting in trouble in Gainesville, which is 80% college kids anyway, imagine what these kids would do down in Miami where 80% of the population down there are hood rats already. I also might be wrong - but seems like Meyer doesn't work to keep this stuff out of the papers like most other coaches do - you know this stuff happens everywhere - if you look at it - how many of the arrests were for underage drinking - at least a handful. Welcome to college - how many of you graduated without being arrested or having to run like hell when the cops showed up (Note - that I realize 85% of this board didn't actually graduate (or hasn't yet.....) - but you get where I am going with this).

kalamity85
    kalamity85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

so meyer is the ONLY coach in america to not keep this stuff out of the papers? if you say this happens everywhere else then it must be true. i mean cmon...30 arrests? he must really not care.

bacon22
    bacon22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1279

With the exception of winning, they are Bengals of college football.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

UF is also 2nd in graduating players behind Vandy in the SEC. But of course, bashing someone is more fun than giving praises. These players are young adults. They are responsible for their own action. The job of a coach is to win games, not baby sitting. The coach's job extends to baby sitting because he wants to make sure their players stay eligible to play so that they will continue to WIN GAMES.

It has been a while since I last applied for college admission. I don't recall any institutions ever do a background check. When a kid does something wrong, why do people blame on their race, poverty, society, games, rap, teachers and coaches? Don't parents take the responsibility of their children up bringing?

Of course, it's more fun targeting a celeb, than targeting the kid's parents.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Rixsaw: No shit. Parents do some parenting and quit blaming others

kalamity85

Quote Originally Posted by Rixsaw View Post
    UF is also 2nd in graduating players behind Vandy in the SEC. But of course, bashing someone is more fun than giving praises. These players are young adults. They are responsible for their own action. The job of a coach is to win games, not baby sitting. The coach's job extends to baby sitting because he wants to make sure their players stay eligible to play so that they will continue to WIN GAMES.

It has been a while since I last applied for college admission. I don't recall any institutions ever do a background check. When a kid does something wrong, why do people blame on their race, poverty, society, games, rap, teachers and coaches? Don't parents take the responsibility of their children up bringing?

Of course, it's more fun targeting a celeb, than targeting the kid's parents.
    did you think USC should have been punished for reggie bush's actions?

Superman455
    Drinkin ANOTHER Beer...
    Superman455's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree, all this starts at home when there is no parenting involved. Coaches are just that COACHES and not baby sitters. These guys are adults and should be held accountable for there actions, not the coaching staff.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Quote Originally Posted by kalamity85 View Post
    did you think USC should have been punished for reggie bush's actions?
    I didn't follow the whole situation, but here is my take:
    1) NCAA fined USC which means there are evident of wrong doing by USC. Thus they should be punish.
    2) Reggie Bush should be punish for taking favors when he knew it was against the rules.

I believe there were money involved, and I don't blame Bush for taking it. I would have done the same thing.
    College students are usually dirt poor unless you have rich parents.
    Are you saying that USC did nothing wrong and should not have been punished by NCAA?

kalamity85

yes. USC did nothing wrong. please tell me what USC did wrong.

Blacke
    Just Livin' the Dream!
    Blacke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1276

Quote Originally Posted by kalamity85 View Post
    yes. USC did nothing wrong. please tell me what USC did wrong.
    Ask Reggie Bush

HoldemHank21
    HoldemHank21's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a problem and any number of coaches would be getting hammered for this, HAMMERED. However, the ESPiN lovefest for Meyer won't allow that to happen.

And the players are the coaches responsibility. He recruits them. He does his homework on them or is supposed to. Ceraintly some players just won't learn and can't be helped, Massoli for example, but 30. That's ridiculous and Meyer should be held accountable. He does get paid millions of dollars.