msj0001
    msj0001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 445

Quote Originally Posted by Holdin Aces View Post
    Guys I am completely unbiased on this game. WVU is my favorite team but I went to school at Marshall. Here is my thinking for the game. I think the line smells like sh*t and it should at least be WVU -21. WVU has struggled with Marshall in the first half the last 2 games but turnovers led to a more lopsided score. WVU should take this game easily but I have seen nothing but people saying WVU is a lock and on a Friday night anything can happen especially when you take this into consideration. Marshall enjoys the best home field advantage in major college football. Marshall has an impressive 118-19 overall record at Joan C. Edwards stadium for a winning percentage of .866. No other Division 1 FBS program can match that. The University of Alabama ranks second with an .825 winning percentage at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Good luck to everyone no matter which side you take, WVU should win and cover but I just have a bad feeling that Marshall hangs in there tonight at home.

Exactly why I teased it

bigguyz
    bigguyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Quote Originally Posted by msj0001 View Post
    Exactly why I teased it
    Who did you tease it with?

msj0001

WVU -6.5 and UGA +8.5

troutsky
    Update your status
    troutsky's Avatar Become A Pro!

anybody like teasing WVU down to -6.5 and houston u to -14? idk if i like the 14.

rory borealis
    rory borealis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by wake14 View Post
    HOw could WV not cover this??? Marshall??
    Well, the late Mort Olshan of The Gold Sheet maintained in one of his articles that 50% of football games are decided outside of the realm of handicapping (muffed punt, batted ball being intercepted) and that in 100 games the bettor was handicapped 25W - 25L to start....To hit an overall 57% proficiency, Olshan maintained one would have to pick 67% winners throughout the remaining 50 games where handicapping skills did indeed come into consideration.

Anything can happen in a game... in the late 80s or early 90s UTEP was an incredible NCAAF underdog (42 points maybe?) against BYU who was nationally ranked at maybe #6 and yet UTEP won the game straight up.

The Marshall linebacker, Harvey (All-ConferenceUSA selection) had a good day last week... the Marshall quarterback and recievers hooked up successfully more than a couple of times aginst what Phil Steele called the #5 defense in the nation.... and Marshall doesn't command the respect in the power ratings either (on par with Indiana, Florida Atlantic, UNLV, Buffalo, Miami-OH & Bowling Green)

I think the germane question is "what kind of physical beating" did Marshall take at the hands of Ohio State and will a week's rest suffice. West Virginia would be a 16-point dog to Ohio State but they had a much easier opponent who they struggled against.

Marshall certainly doesn't believe that they're not capable of competing against WVU so they go into their home opener a fairly confident bunch.

I don't think WVU got beat up too much as Marshall did against OSU and with the struggles against a much-weaker opponent, WVU had some good game film to evaluate whereas Marshall couldn't be expected to glean that much from the game film against a much superior opponent.

There is some great coaching in the Conference USA since these guys have to take what they can get in the way of second-tier and thrid-tier recruits (small & fast) AS OPPOSED TO schools like WVU and OSU(big & fast)... these Conference USA coaches have to look for weakness or soft spots to exploit and then hope that "no/few penalties" and "no/few turnovers" COUPLED WITH their scouting can get their units into the 4th quarter with a chance to win the game on the final drive.

Mississipi State was in the game throughout the first half against Auburn last night until platoon QB Tyler Ross threw an interception with no real pressure. platoon QB Chris Relf came in and then fumbled the next snap.

You just can't say therefore that any team can cover 13 1/2 easily.

I cautiously like WVU minus the 13 1/2 but if you're inclined to bet Marshall... maybe stick to a 1st Quarter or 1st Half wager.

If the WVU OL can push around the Marshall defensive front, I think exhaustion from the OSU game could quickly settle in.

I do think emotion from a Rivalry game can carry Marshall through the first quarter.

I myself passed on this game and made no wager.

I don't like the 6-point tease to -7 1/2
    Last edited by rory borealis; 09-10-10 at 11:19 AM.

msj0001

6 pt Tease goes to -6.5 in most books now

Tigers1230
    Tigers1230's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I don't like it that WV was only up 10-0 at half against CC. They seem to be a slow first half team, largely due to running the ball so much. I always hate throwing anything down on these early rivalry games but I think the under should hold up.

Tigers1230
    Tigers1230's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I see this game being much what the last 2 have been. 30-7 or 27-7, something along those lines. Marshall gave up 250 yds on 41 carries to Ohio St. You know WV is going to run it 40+ times as well. This one might however come down to the 4th quarter again for WV to wear down Marshall and cover.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The line has dropped to -11.5 at the M. Just remember what has happened in two of the last few weknight televised games on ESPN. Boise drops from a 2.5 favorite to basically a pk, though some had Va. Tech at -1. Auburn drops from a 3 point favorite to basically a pk, though some books had Miss. State at -1. Bith times, Joe Pub lost. If Joe Pub is climbing on Marshall, you may want to take a good look at West Virginia, even though Stewart is not the sharpest bulb in the lamp.

stuiees
    stuiees's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

For what its worth... I have WVU -12.5 @ -105 locked personally.

Going back to 2006, West Virginia has gone 4-0 straight up and 3-1 against the spread against Marshall, notching victories by margins of 32, 25, 24 and 17.

Last year, WVU went 2-4 SU and 3-3 in road and neutral contests. And the school was 4-0 SU as a double-digit favorite, but only 1-3 versus the number. Marshall was 4-2 SU and 2-3 ATS at home last season.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

WVU 1st H ML -265 is as safe as it gets. If you guys have a large bankroll id say lay it ALL on WVU 1st H ML -265. Im using BP so im sure you can find a better line somewhere else. No way WVU goes into HT without the lead.

Fastwrx9
    Fastwrx9's Avatar Become A Pro!

Noel Devine will make sure WVU wins by atleast 2 TD's for sure. I will be shocked if they don't cover 12.5.

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Holdin Aces View Post
    Guys I am completely unbiased on this game. WVU is my favorite team but I went to school at Marshall. Here is my thinking for the game. I think the line smells like sh*t and it should at least be WVU -21. WVU has struggled with Marshall in the first half the last 2 games but turnovers led to a more lopsided score. WVU should take this game easily but I have seen nothing but people saying WVU is a lock and on a Friday night anything can happen especially when you take this into consideration. Marshall enjoys the best home field advantage in major college football. Marshall has an impressive 118-19 overall record at Joan C. Edwards stadium for a winning percentage of .866. No other Division 1 FBS program can match that. The University of Alabama ranks second with an .825 winning percentage at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Good luck to everyone no matter which side you take, WVU should win and cover but I just have a bad feeling that Marshall hangs in there tonight at home.

I am not disputing this impressive statistic built up years ago.. But it begs to take a closer look at what has happened the last few years where Marshall opponents were of a better class than years ago.

2009 lost SU at home to E. Carolina and So. Miss
    2008 lost SU at home to Cincinnati, C. Florida and Tulsa
    2007 lost SU at home to WVU, NEW HAMPSIRE and So. Miss.
    2006 lost SU at home to C. Florida
    2005 lost SU at home to Kansas St., So. Miss and E. Carolina

Losses to Troy and Toledo at home in 2004 and 2003

In fact, the last three years combined Marshall is 9-9 in home games. Possibly there could have been a listed home game not at Edwards Stadium. I don't know. But you get the point.

POTVINSUX
    POTVINSUX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

I'm on marshall +13 you heard it here

Hammew
    Hammew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Marshall has only scored a combined 10 points in their past 2 meetings with WVU. Last year WVU was a 20 pt. favorite and won 24-7 at WV.

uanl
    uanl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 160

West Virginia beat a weak team 31-0 last week..while a lot of ppl are making such a big deal of how awful marshal looked last week, but marshal was playing a national title contender... WV got off to a slow start last week taking something like a 10-0 lead into halftime and they were at home! ... this game is @ marshall...needless to say, im taking the points as i believe last weeks games for both teams are irrelevant as far as stats and such..and the consesus has the mindset of WV shutting out a weak team last week and Marshall getting blown out by a national title contender.. and therefore WV should blow out marshall when in reality WV is nowhere near the talent level of Ohio St.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones View Post
    I am not disputing this impressive statistic built up years ago.. But it begs to take a closer look at what has happened the last few years where Marshall opponents were of a better class than years ago.

2009 lost SU at home to E. Carolina and So. Miss
    2008 lost SU at home to Cincinnati, C. Florida and Tulsa
    2007 lost SU at home to WVU, NEW HAMPSIRE and So. Miss.
    2006 lost SU at home to C. Florida
    2005 lost SU at home to Kansas St., So. Miss and E. Carolina

Losses to Troy and Toledo at home in 2004 and 2003

In fact, the last three years combined Marshall is 9-9 in home games. Possibly there could have been a listed home game not at Edwards Stadium. I don't know. But you get the point.

I am aware of these stats also, like I said I think WVU should roll but there is just something fishy about this line in my opinion.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Quote Originally Posted by LostBankroll View Post
    WVU 1st H ML -265 is as safe as it gets. If you guys have a large bankroll id say lay it ALL on WVU 1st H ML -265. Im using BP so im sure you can find a better line somewhere else. No way WVU goes into HT without the lead.
    They didn't have the lead last year or the year before at halftime. I would not suggest betting the first half at all, if anything Marshall will hang in the game until after halftime. Remember Marshall's coach was WVU's Associate Head Coach last year. He probably knows the WVU playbook better than Bill Stewart.

stocker08
    stocker08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 563

WV no question

Don Giovanni
    Don Giovanni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

I would be shocked if Marshall doesn't put eight in the box to stop Devine and double up on Sanders. Geno Smith looked pedestrian against a FCS Coastal Carolina team; while I'm not saying Marshall is going to win this game, I think it will be closer than 33-10, but what do I know -Giovanni

investor
    Chicks jumpin my whip like a moshpit
    investor's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dayum Giovanni, Excitebike was the sh!t back in the day. I remember i loved to create my own course. That game was so much more advanced than any other game at the time it came out. Brought back some old memories...

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

1 reason the home stats are so great for Marshall is the history guys. In the early 90s Marshall was in division 1-AA through 1996. They played in 3 straight national title games in 1-AA from 1991-1993 and were national champions in 1992 and 1996. They were extremely dominant back then. When they moved up to the MAC it was just more of the same. They won something like all but 1 of the MAC championships. During the last years of them being in 1-AA and beginning years of 1-A they had guys like Chad Pennington, Randy Moss, Byron Leftwich and many more. They won more games than any other college during the 1990s. The thing is they were playing 1-AA teams and then MAC teams. That totally skews their home winning %. Since they moved to C-USA they haven't faired very well at all. The competition is a lot tougher and they aren't bringing in the great recruits like they once did.

Don Giovanni
    Don Giovanni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Quote Originally Posted by investor View Post
    Dayum Giovanni, Excitebike was the sh!t back in the day. I remember i loved to create my own course. That game was so much more advanced than any other game at the time it came out. Brought back some old memories...
    Loved that game...thanks, GL on your plays

Money
    Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2339

wv rolls

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

Quote Originally Posted by msj0001 View Post
    I might have to buy it down to WVU -11.5 and take my chances, I just think Noel Divine (who is so dirty) will have a field day
    buying down to 11-1/2 dont do much
    you either gotta buy down to 11 or 10 if your gonna buy

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

WTF is going on with the ML on this game? It went from -520 to -470 in about 30 seconds???

22dsnyd22
    22dsnyd22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 817

I still believe wv -6.5 1st Half is the best bet. I dont think the over is going to hit and if Marshall hangs around........... WV may not cover in the second half. I do feel strongly that WV covers -12.5 but I feel even stronger about them going into halftime with at least a TD lead. This way you wont have to watch the second half of this ugly game and can think about placing a .1 unit play on Case Keenum for Shits and Giggles since you just won.

Aristocles
    Aristocles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    Those of us from the area know this as "The Friends Of Coal Bowl". Years ago Marshall and WVU couldn't agree on playing each in a series because WVU was acting like a bunch of pussies and wanted to host the majority of the games instead of heading to Huntington to play. The thought of them losing to Marshall scares the hell out of WVU. Eventually the governor of West Virginia had to step in and forced the two teams to play (with some stipulations on how the host would be determined). I went to Marshall but I really like WVU here. I'm thinking about just going all in on the WVY ML. It was listed at -476 just a little bit ago and I was amazed when I saw it was that low. I figured it would be above -1000. I was thinking about just laying down the 476 but now I'm thinking to just say fukk it and go all in. Marshall got killed by Ohio St. but of course WVU is no Ohio St. Marshall's offense sucked horribly against Ohio St., gaining just 199 yards and didn't even score. Their 7 points came off of a blocked field goal. WVU posted a shutout against Coastal Carolina who is a FCS team. The WVU defense should be able to handle the Marshall offense. Defensively Marshall allowed 529 yards of offense to Ohio St. There can't be too much of an improvement this week considering WVU has Noel Devine and Jock Sanders who are absolutely great talents and are so damn fun to watch. Their speed and agility will be too much for Marshall to handle I believe. WVU gained 400 yards last week against Coastal Carolina. They might not get 400 yards this week but they should still rack up some good yardage. In the last 5 games only 1 has been played @ Marshall and WVU won 48-23. The scary thing is that WVU won at home last year 24-7, only after Devine scored 2 4th quarter TDs. Marshall actually led 7-6 at halftime and WVU struggled to pull away. However, last year Marshall was a pretty decent bowl team and WVU's starting QB Jarrett Brown was knocked out of the entire game in the very first series. This series resumed 4 years ago and since then WVU has outscore Marshall 141-43. In short, I think the Marshall offense won't be able to produce much against a good WVU defense. Also, I don't think the Marshall defense can stack up against the WVU offense. Should I go all in? Any thoughts?
    All signs say DON'T DO IT! (Picture a Magic 8 Ball)

Are you talking your entire bankroll? If so, then no I wouldn't. I took WVU - 12 1/2 but for a small bet. Risking everything on a single play is too much risk for me, think it through, brother.

If you do, then by all means, best of luck

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

I teased WV -6.5 with the under 52

Uncle Harv
    Uncle Harv's Avatar Become A Pro!

WVU's coach is notorious for being nice and not running up the score. Holdin Aces, great info regarding Marshall's home field record. That said, I would never take Marshall here. Prob a no play.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocles View Post
    All signs say DON'T DO IT! (Picture a Magic 8 Ball) Are you talking your entire bankroll? If so, then no I wouldn't. I took WVU - 12 1/2 but for a small bet. Risking everything on a single play is too much risk for me, think it through, brother. If you do, then by all means, best of luck
    I'm pretty sure on this play tho. I went to Marshall and I know both of these teams pretty well. I just don't see how Marshall can hang with WVU. WVU has way better athletes. Risking an entire is risky but can also pay out. I have already gone all in once this season. Went all in with Arizona with my bankrolls and 2 different books and they won 41-2. The thing is just how pissed and screwed would I be if Marshall pulled the upset. Just don't see it happening.

daprospecta
    daprospecta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

This is where I think the value lies
    WVU vs Marshall Under 47 1U
    • WVU was one of 9 teams who pitched shut-outs last week.
    • WVU has an above average offense
    • Marshall's offense didn't score on offense against Ohio St.
    • Not a good sign for Marshall to be completely shut out by Ohio St. even though they have top talent
    • WVU scored 30 points or more once last year behind playmaker Noel Devine who is the focal point again this year.
    • WVU will focus on running the ball against Marshall seeing that they gave up 280 yards to Ohio State on the ground
    • WVU will most likely have a longer time of possession and with them running the ball more I see a low scoring game that will end fast .
    • Prediction WVU 24 Marshall 10

msj0001

Quote Originally Posted by Crayzee View Post
    buying down to 11-1/2 dont do much
    you either gotta buy down to 11 or 10 if your gonna buy

Yeah I guess you have a point there...1X on a WVU -6.5 and UGA +8.5 teaser, another 1X on WVU -12.5

AMcBoarder
    AMcBoarder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

WVU -13 under 47 for me

jorge1
    OM
    jorge1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi guys,

WV 1h -6 (-137) 3.75x ...Its too good to be true in my opinion...

First 12345 ... Last