MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Has anyone looked closely at Michigan's defense?

I am getting ready for next weekend and right now the game I am looking at is Michigan-Connecticut.

I am having a hard time believing Michigan will win more than 4 games again this season. This defense doesn't look good. They have exactly 1 player. Mike Martin. Martin is coming off of an injury to boot. Roh isn't bad, but he isn't going to replace Graham any time soon.

After those two it becomes a nightmare for Rich Rod. True freshman running around the secondary isn't going to be good for a team that can't generate a pass rush.

Of all the historically good schools---Michigan, USC, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama etc-----I think this may among the worst defensive football teams in the last 25 years.

Good luck Wolverine fans---you are going to need it.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Martin, you have a right to have some concerns about Michigan's defense. The past two years the defense has allowed the most points in school history. Eight starters return but that may not be saying much. The three best players from last season are gone. Defensive end Brandon Graham, cornerback Donovan Warren and linebacker Stevie Brown. Those three represent the Silver Award as Big 10 MVP, the best defensive back and the team's leading tackler.

Rich Rods is up to his ankles in it at Michigan.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Martin, you have a right to have some concerns about Michigan's defense. The past two years the defense has allowed the most points in school history. Eight starters return but that may not be saying much. The three best players from last season are gone. Defensive end Brandon Graham, cornerback Donovan Warren and linebacker Stevie Brown. Those three represent the Silver Award as Big 10 MVP, the best defensive back and the team's leading tackler.

Rich Rods is up to his ankles in it at Michigan.
    Not to mention they just lost their most experienced CB. They'll be hurting on defense a little this year.

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

is it possible to look closely being that they have not played a game

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Michigian will get at least 7 wins

MartinBlank

What seven will they win? Michigan won one---1----Big 10 game last season. They beat Indiana in a game they should have lost.

Here are their losses as I see them-----tell me which ones you disagree with.

UConn
    At Notre Dame
    Michigan State
    Iowa
    At Penn State
    At Purdue
    Wisconsin
    At Ohio State

I think they will beat UMass, Bowling Green, Indiana, and Illinois. Although Indiana and Illinois are probably toss-ups.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

First, what defense? Michigan does not have a defense. They play a 3-3-5, and lost their best CB, Troy Woolford for the season. As far as their losses are concerned, Michigan can beat Purdue, UConn and Michigan State, giving them 7 wins. That is, if they finally stop screwing around with the QB situation, pick one, and stick with him.

sassagore
    sassagore's Avatar Become A Pro!

michigan beats notre dame. why are you automatically chalking up that loss? who's notre dame returning that makes them so much better than michigan? granted they have brian kelly now but he's got some kinks to work out in his first year or 2.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Sassagore, obviously none of us know for sure who is going to win this game...why they will play it.

I do know that the visitor in this series has only won 2 out of the last 11. I also know more positive reports are coming out of the ND camp than from Michigan.

Personally I don't care who wins but if I had to take a side ......ND by 17 to 21.

My studied opinion for what it's worth.....nothing else.

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Denard Robinson may be talented enough to allow them to control the ball for most of the game and just put up a lot of points...

I'm on Michigan week 1 vs. Uconn.

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by sassagore View Post
    michigan beats notre dame. why are you automatically chalking up that loss? who's notre dame returning that makes them so much better than michigan? granted they have brian kelly now but he's got some kinks to work out in his first year or 2.
    I'll answer that one.

It is at Notre Dame. The visiting team in this series has struggled mightily.

Secondly. As the title of this thread mentioned, Michigan has no defense. They were horrible against the pass last year----and Notre Dame sports one of the best WR in college football in Michael Floyd, and the best pass catching tight end in Kyle Rudolph.

And I think Kelly's history of working with QBs is much stronger than Rich Rod's. Kelly had his 6th QB take his team to the Big East championship after being crushed by injuries. Last year, Pike went down and Kelly replaced him with Collaros. Kelly has proven what he can do with QBs.

There is absolutely nothing about Michigan's defense that anyone can point to and say "Yeah, they've improved".

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Martin are you from Orlando ?

babyanni
    babyanni's Avatar Become A Pro!

going to be another long year for Rich Rod i think

rk9
    rk9's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rich Rod's 3-3-5 sucked at West Va and it still sucks at Michigan. Even when West Va was good, their D was always a weakness. He needs to find a D coordinator and stick to running his spread offense.

Jmoiz888
    Jmoiz888's Avatar Become A Pro!

Notre dame will definitely beat michigan this year

woodsen2
    woodsen2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

To say UConn couldn't stop Rich Rod's attack at WVU would be an understatement. Now they don't have Pat White and Noel Divine at Michigan but they have plenty of athletes. I believe UConn also returns no one in the secondary and lost both its starting d ends.

Both defenses will struggle to get stops but I think the advantage goes to the home team in this situation especially since Rich Rod's dominated Edsell

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

With Greg Robinson at D-Coordinator they're not going to be very good. They're gonna lose to UConn and will be lucky to win 6 games.

TrapperDapper
    TrapperDapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4715

Michigan has been similar to Notre Dame lately. Getting a lot of talent in their recruiting classes but few of them are panning out when they become upper class men.

babyanni
    babyanni's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by babyanni View Post
    going to be another long year for Rich Rod i think
    or not shoelace had them looking real good.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Interesting thread...I guess the def is better than everyone thought. Michigan is going to surprise ppl this year.