The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Rumors Chavis gone from TN

Rumor on the hill is Kevin Steele will be TN next DC.

Man, I hope this is true. The former Vol player is currently Alabama's Def. Coordinator. He's got a great resume. Including Florida State and Nebraska's black shirt LB coach under Osborne. I couldn't even imagine.

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Rumor on the hill is Kevin Steele will be TN next DC.

Man, I hope this is true. The former Vol player is currently Alabama's Def. Coordinator. He's got a great resume. Including Florida State and Nebraska's black shirt LB coach under Osborne. I couldn't even imagine.
    i heard the same yesterday, but it doesnt seem to be true. Steele is one of the best few recruiters in the nation, it would have been amazing to land him. it would have been f-in amazing.

today i read this:

With all of the staff changes on offense, I thought it would be a good chance to catch up with Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis. Here is a sitdown question and answer session with the man they call "Chief."

How much improvement did you see out your unit this year?

"We certainly didn't start the year off the way we envisioned, but our guys never lost site of what we wanted to accomplish. Our guys worked hard every day to improve themselves and I think we made great strides as the season went on."

What game did you think things were starting to click?

"We had moments in every game. There were times when we played well and there times we just didn't play well as a defense. We felt going in to the Georgia game that we had turned the corner and after that game there was no question we had grown up as a defense. Were we complete? No. We still had some moments after that but we had made strides to compete in the SEC."

How much of your turn around can be attributed to the play of Demonte Bolden and Dan Williams?

"I think that was a big part of it. I think it's obvious that we made strides there. Our pressure package got better. That's a big part of being a defense in this league because of how everyone can throw the football. If you give the quarterbacks time then they are going to beat you. It was very significant in our turn around."

Were you ready to pull your hair out at times this season?

"That's part of the growth process. You never get where you want to as quick as you want to. We have had some outstanding defenses here and been very dominant at times. I always felt like we could be a good defense. We experienced some things we haven't experienced, but I think those things made us better players and better people."

Have you ever played as many young kids before?

"No. You look back at the championship game and we had three true freshmen in the secondary most of the game. I think it speaks volumes about our football team and head coach that we were as young as we were but won 10 games and played for the conference championship."

As the linebackers coach, how proud were you of the play of Mayo, McCoy, and Karl?

"I don't like to compare, but I felt as good about this group as any we've had. At the end of the season, they were playing as well as any of those groups. Probably played as well without having a great front and that's not to take away what our front accomplished. It just speaks volumes about what this group of linebackers did."

While we are talking about linebackers, Jerod Mayo is pretty talented isn't he?

"There were road games where I graded him out at six or seven more tackles than he was actually credited. I think he played as well at the beginning of the year as he did at the end. I challenge you to go put on the California game and watch him on every play. I don't think you'll question that statement."

How good can this defense be next year?

"If we can be as good as we were in the last two games, I think we'll be happy and the people that support this program will be happy. We have a chance to be special in the secondary. Obviously we need some defensive ends to come a long, but I think we have a real good shot to have a good defense. I'll be able to give you a better answer after spring practice, but I'm excited about what we have."

You don't get one like Eric Berry every year do you?

"Mature and he knew what he wanted and how to get it done. I've not been around a freshman that has had that type of impact on a football team before."

What players do you think will carry this defense next year?

"We are going to work as one. When you have all 11 working as one, then you are much better. That's how we approach things and when you do that then you have a chance to be special. The individuals will show up on their own."

What does Spring Practice mean to you?

"I think it's fundamentals. There are a lot of things I want to get accomplished during the Spring that you can't in the fall. You have to come away from the Spring with a better understanding of what you do in certain situations. We want to be very confident and when a player is confident then they play more loose."

What motivates John Chavis?

"Fear. The fear of not being every thing I'm capable of being. I want to make improvements every year, every day. The fear of coming up short. It's probably the only fear I have."