BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

If Not A&M, Who Will Be #16?

With Texas A&M's aparent suicide wish to join the SEC nearing the reality stage, who will be the 16th team to join the Pac 10? Here are a few to consider.

1. Missouri. If you are in the market for T.V. areas, why not the St.Louis and Kansas City markets? As usual, the Big 10 is dragging it's heals and Missouri is there for the taking.

2. Houston. But only if they agree to play their football home games at Reliant Stadium. Another huge T.V. market.

3. Kansas. I know. Not too much to offer Football wise, but now the hoops part of the equation the Pac 10 becomes a national player.

Now I have left off all of the MWC teams because the MWC is sitting pretty now. They will become the 5th BCS Conference if they can remain together. Who would you rahter challenge for a Conference Championship. TCU, Utah, Boise State, and BYU, or Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon. NO MWC team wants to step into that hell hole.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 06-12-10 at 12:49 PM.

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

I'm going with Houston. Two days ago, they officially unveiled plans to significantly upgrade their facilities. They're making a play.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-fo...061010aaf.html

The current estimate calls for football seating to be 40,000-50,000. I'm sure a Pac-10 invite could jack that up a bit.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

Missouri / kansas will be the call instead of houston

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Baylor

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Colorado State

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    Colorado State
    Interesting. If Colorado State gets the nod, that will keep the two team per state line up that the Pac 10 currently now has (well, 4 on California, but two Bay Area teams and two Los Angeles based teams) in tact.

The problem is that Colorado State is very weak athletically speaking, and their stadium only holds 32,500.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I think you left out the most likely one...Baylor. Even though their sports program isn't much to shout about, they have prominent alumni all over the state of Texas. They are quietly pushing A&M along and aligning with Texas to head over to the PAC. They would be the Vanderbilt/Rutgers/Northwestern of the Pac-16.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Baylor is OUT! No religious schools in the Pac 16. They refused to look at BYU for that very reason. Cal would block that move, as well as Stanford, UCLA, USC, and other schools. Baylor is simply not wanted in the Pac 10.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

I am hoping that the remaining Big 12 schools will stand strong and realign themselves pick up a few schools and still be the Big 12. I hate the idea of the super conferences and I dont like the idea of the SEC picking up A&M. Why cant we just leave things the way they are and continue to have our college football the way we always have. Texas and Oklahoma do not belong in the Pac 10! Just doesnt seem right

jwbama23
    LSUCKS

and on another note, If the SEC expands I hope they decide to raid the ACC and take Clemson. Clemson seems more like an SEC school than a ACC school

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by jwbama23 View Post
    I am hoping that the remaining Big 12 schools will stand strong and realign themselves pick up a few schools and still be the Big 12. I hate the idea of the super conferences and I dont like the idea of the SEC picking up A&M. Why cant we just leave things the way they are and continue to have our college football the way we always have. Texas and Oklahoma do not belong in the Pac 10! Just doesnt seem right
    The Big 12 Conference would become a joke. Look who they have left now. Texas, OU and a bunch of patsies. Who would they take? TCU? Houston? That would be great for OU, because they would win the North every year. Texas would win the South 9 years out of 10. No T.V. network would pay to see the garbage that a conference like that would put out.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Baylor is OUT! No religious schools in the Pac 16. They refused to look at BYU for that very reason. Cal would block that move, as well as Stanford, UCLA, USC, and other schools. Baylor is simply not wanted in the Pac 10.
    I knew they were a private school, but I didn't know they were a religious school. Shows how much I know about Baylor. Regardless I've still heard rumblings of Baylor. Maybe it's just Baylor begging not to be left out and causing a fuss. Sports wise, media market wise, and geographically wise, Utah makes sense...but I haven't heard a peep about them in this discussion.

eldoctord
    eldoctord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Funny how Kansas/Bill Self is out snubbing the MWC. Can't see Kansas being happy moving out of the Big 12 for basketball reasons alone.

mtneer1212

Quote Originally Posted by eldoctord View Post
    Funny how Kansas/Bill Self is out snubbing the MWC. Can't see Kansas being happy moving out of the Big 12 for basketball reasons alone.

Big East baby.

plzkthx
    plzkthx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

missouri will be my best bet.

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jwbama23 View Post
    and on another note, If the SEC expands I hope they decide to raid the ACC and take Clemson. Clemson seems more like an SEC school than a ACC school
    I agree, no idea why you don't hear this discussed more as an option compared to Fl St and Miami option you always hear about

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Because Clemson is about an hour away from Georgia, two hours away from South Carolina, and isn't too far away from Knoxville. What market are you capturing there? Greenville? They fit the mold of an SEC school, but the SEC gains nothing by expanding with them.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Because Clemson is about an hour away from Georgia, two hours away from South Carolina, and isn't too far away from Knoxville. What market are you capturing there? Greenville? They fit the mold of an SEC school, but the SEC gains nothing by expanding with them.
    I dont think they gain nothing by getting them. Clemson does have one of the better fan bases in the ACC. Without doing any research I would assume they draw more fans than 2-3 of the SEC schools. Not to mention on a national level Clemson playing UT or UGA would be a more watchable game than Clemson vs anyone in the ACC

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Exactly, if the SEC is going to expand it'll involve a school with a new market. SEC already has the state of South Carolina. NC State, UNC, Vtech, or one of the Texas schools are much more realistic. I wouldn't mind NC State and Texas A&M personally.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

sec will get virginia tech and perhaps A&m, i think if 16 is the new conference # they will make a move for one of the oklahoma schools and try to grab miami or florida state.

Acc will absorb some big east teams

mtneer1212

SEC will not grab Clemson, Florida State, or Miami. They will not piss off a current SEC member (i.e. Georgia and Florida). They are looking to hit a home run in a new market..... think Texas (longshot), Oklahoma (longer shot), Texas A&M (good chance), Va Tech (Virginia will pressure them to stay in ACC), Kansas (KU would love it, but SEC is not thirsting after them). I would love West Virginia to get to the SEC, but that is the longest shot of all.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    SEC will not grab Clemson, Florida State, or Miami. They will not piss off a current SEC member (i.e. Georgia and Florida). They are looking to hit a home run in a new market..... think Texas (longshot), Oklahoma (longer shot), Texas A&M (good chance), Va Tech (Virginia will pressure them to stay in ACC), Kansas (KU would love it, but SEC is not thirsting after them). I would love West Virginia to get to the SEC, but that is the longest shot of all.
    If Teas A&M goes to the SEC, West Virgina leaves the Big East, but not to where you may think. The SEC is going to take some ACC team. I do not see South Carolina raising too much hell about Clemson, or UGA raising too much ehll about Tech, but even if they do, the SEC still has the two North Carolina teams to work with.

Now the ACC will be one taco short of a #12 combination plate, so who do they take? West Virginia. The perfect team to take. That revives the West Virgina-Va. Tech Rivalry, as well as the West Virginia-Virginia rivalry.

Flying Dutchman
    Floggings continue until morale improves
    Flying Dutchman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

Ga tech was once in the SEC, it would be a natural to go back.

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oklohoma, Texas, Texas A@M, 2 of those 3 are going to SEC

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Well, now that Big 12-2 is staying put, the question remains: Who will join Pac-11? Now Utah is the most likely target, as MWC BCS hopes are set back. But they deny being approached yet. I think it will be a done deal this week.