daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Texas A&M to SEC getting close

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=187&f=2639&t=6029021

We reported on the premium board that A&M did receive an unconditional offer yesterday morning. They are working on getting the details worked out and into written form before A&M makes a decision on what to do.

Timing will be everything as Texas and the Pac-16 alliance is pressuring A&M to make a decision, and I could see the A&M admin get nervous and fall in line. Still, the A&M donors have overwhelmingly called the 12th Man Foundation and Bill Byrne to demand that A&M go to the SEC. That has made a difference, as it has caused the decision-makers to take pause and really buy time for the SEC option. They just need to see the details in writing.

For those interested, you can sign up for a 7-day free trial subscription and see everything we're reporting. We're providing several updates a day. Just click on the "7-day Free Trial Button in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Thanks.

David Sandhop (Hop)
    Owner and Publisher - Aggie Websider

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Absolute suicide for A&M. Texas, T-Tech, OU, and Okie State are going to the Pac 10. Texas A&M would get their tails kicked all over the field if they have to play Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn and LSU every season. They would never win a divisional title, much less defeat the likes of Florida or Georgia for a Conference crown. Texas A&M fans would have to settle for mid-level bowl games at best. A&M would join the likes of Mississippi State, Vandy, and Kentucky as yearly also-rans.

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

A & M has been getting their ass kicked in the Big 12 since they fired R.C Slocum. Those *********** (A&M Administrators) deserve every ass whippin they recieve. JMHO.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

It makes great sense for the SEC. You get Texas's 2nd most popular school which is reasonably close to Houston. This will also give them a presence in the Southwest. For A&M, it seems like it's a case of the little brother finally standing up to the big brother and saying "you can't tell me what to do". Football wise, they will probably be along the lines of a Arkansas or Ole Miss in the SEC unless they can bring in some high profile recruits now. Seems like it was a long time ago when A&M was a top program.

As for who is next, don't rule Oklahoma out of the picture yet. Missouri could be attractive for their media markets, but that's about all they have. The others in the picture are Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson with Miami & VT being the more likely. With Georgia Tech, Clemson, and FSU you have teams very close to other SEC schools and you don't capture another media markets. FSU has a huge fan base, but Florida would likely raise a stink if FSU's name gets brought up in expansion. Same with UGA & GT.

If the SEC expands west, how do you fill out the new divisions? You can't possibly put Alabama & Auburn in the east. Bama does not want to be in the East, and UF, UGA, and UT don't want them there either. Aside from LSU, those are the big power brokers in the SEC and would fight hard if that were to happen.

The most likely scenario? I think the SEC expands to 14 teams with A&M, Miami or VT being the 2. They can sit back and for the other domino to fall, which is Notre Dame, before they make their next move. There just isn't a need to add a Kansas, Missouri, or Big East school right now.
    Last edited by daneblazer; 06-12-10 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

OU goes where Texas goes. That will more than likely be to the Pac 10. Texas wisely wants no part of the SEC. A&M is on their own now. If they go to the SEC West and become perinneal whipping boys to the likes of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Arkansas, they will have no one to blame but themselves .
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 06-12-10 at 03:53 PM.

rwsmith
    rwsmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think this would be a great move for recruiting though...it will give those texas players a chance to play in the sec without having to go far

Shelton
    Shelton's Avatar Become A Pro!

sweet texas should go with them

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

So does the SEC expand immediately to 16 and if so who do they target. Georgia Tech, Kansas and Kansas State?

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Georgia would be opposed to Georgia Tech, and Florida would oppose Miami or Florida State. The likely candidate would be Virginia Tech who has huge ratings in the DC market.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

If the Big East loses Rutgers, but could gain Kansas and Kansas State, it might be a net gain. If the Big East loses Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt, then the conference will crumble, and West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida will be running for cover.

ijrod21i
    ijrod21i's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love what's happening in college sports, eventually it will be 2 or 3 super conferences and a play off will be a must.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Quote Originally Posted by ijrod21i View Post
    I love what's happening in college sports, eventually it will be 2 or 3 super conferences and a play off will be a must.
    I for one hate all of this conference shuffling. I love college football tradition and this is getting too crazy for me

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

What will happen, and a lot sooner than later, is the there will be 5 Super Conferences. The First will be comprised of the Pac 10 and Big 12 movers. The Second will be the expanded Big 10. The Third will be the SEC. The Fourth will be the ACC when they are through raiding the Big East. The Fifth will be the MWC, who will rake the Big 12 discards, and along with TCU, Utah, Boise State, and BYU, will be strong enough to qualify.

Once these Conferences are set, the BCS Bowl will also be set. Each BCS Bowl will keep their current tie-ins except the Fiesta Bowl, who will take the MWC to replace the Big 12. The Rose, still keeps the Big 10-Pac 10 Conferences. The Sugar still keeps the SEC. The Orange still keeps the ACC.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

good move for a&m