BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Coaches who are on the Hot Seat

Here are a few coaches who definately need to get their acts together:

Rich Rodriguez. Michigan. This one is a no brainer. With the alum after his scalp, many say that he needs 8 wins plus a bowl win to save his job. That is a tall order. Games at Ohio State, at Penn State, and home against Iowa and Wisconsin are all definately loseable. That leaves little room for error. With a game at Notre Dame, and hosting UConn and Michigan State, there is plenty of room for that error.

Les Miles. LSU. Yes he has won a NC, but even that was a freak, because his team still lost two games that season. Lately, LSU has not performed up to par. 9 losses in two years is not going to cut it. The fact that he has made some terrible in game coaching decisions does not help his cause either. With an opener in Atlanta against North Carolina, games at Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas, and a home game against Alabama, things do not look very promising this season for Miles and LSU.

Ron Zook. Illinois. One winning season in 5 years simply is not going to cut it. Zook has always had the reputation as a great recruiter, but poor head coach. He went to the Rose Bowl in 2007/08, and then followed that up with two season that netted him 8 wins total. While Illinois may not have had the talent of an Ohio State or an Iowa, they certainly had talent that could win 6 games and go to minor bowls. This year, the Illini have non-con games against Norther and Southern Illinois, and do not play either Iowa or Wisconsin. It just does not get any easier than that. If Illinois can not win this year, Zook is gone.

Dan Hawkins. Colorado. Many, including myself, believe that the only reason why Hawkins is still there is because the school did not want to spend the money to buy him out. Under Hawkins, Colorado is a terrible 16-33. They have been to one bowl game and lost it. They have not had a season over .500. With games at Cal, Mizzou, Oklahoma and Nebraska on the schedule, plus a home game against Georgia, look for this to be Hawkins last year. Colorado is trying to impress the Pac 10. 16-33 records will not do that.

Dennis Erickson. Arizona State. He has had two straight losing seasons at Arizona State. Both came after promising starts. Arizona State has only won 5 PAC 10 games in the past two years. That stat is magnified when you realize that the Pac 10 had one team each year that went winless in the conference. State has also lost two straight to Arizona. To make matters worse, State loses 7 starters on both sides of the ball this year. With a schedule that includes 6 potential away losses, this will be a very difficult year for Erickson, one he may not survive.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 05-27-10 at 08:38 AM.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

spurrier - south carolina
    rodriguez - michigan
    zook - illinois

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I was thinking about adding Spurrier to the list, but while he has not done great, he also has not done very poorly. He has never had a losing year at South Carolina, and he does bring in recruits to a school that was always an also-ran in the SEC East. His problem is that he can not beat Florida and Georgia. He is 1-4 against each team. If you look at his ATS record, you see that he is a solid 16-8-1 as a Favorite. He simply does not pull enough upsets.

rwsmith
    rwsmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anyone think that georgia's mark richt (spelling ?) may be on the hot seat. He made some crucial staff changes that could make or break him at uga.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

That is possible, but not this year. I think that UGA is the only team that can challenge Florida in the SEC East. I really do not expect UGA to lose more than two games, or possibly three, at the very most.

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
    Does anyone think that georgia's mark richt (spelling ?) may be on the hot seat. He made some crucial staff changes that could make or break him at uga.
    the rumblings seem to indicate alot of unhappy Georgia fans, but if Georgia is going to do something this should be their year

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The problem with Richt is that he has never played in the BCS Championship game. He has won two SEC titles, one with a one loss team (Florida) and one with a two loss team (Florida and Auburn). He has lost his last two games to Florida by a combined score of 90-27. His team lost 5 games last season, including games at Tennessee and at home against Kentucky. That is inexcusable. This year he has 10 starters returning on offense, and switches to a 3-4 defense to better fit is personnel. There can be no excuses this year. I think with the schedule he plays (no Alabama or LSU, and Arkansas at home) his team has enough talent to win 10 games and possibly the SEC East.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I was thinking about adding Spurrier to the list, but while he has not done great, he also has not done very poorly. He has never had a losing year at South Carolina, and he does bring in recruits to a school that was always an also-ran in the SEC East. His problem is that he can not beat Florida and Georgia. He is 1-4 against each team. If you look at his ATS record, you see that he is a solid 16-8-1 as a Favorite. He simply does not pull enough upsets.
    This.

Find it hard to believe South Carolina will ever fire Spurrier. If anything, South Carolina is on the hot seat for Spurrier. Could see him leaving with another poor season.

Also agree with Richt. He gets plenty of 10 season wins, but can never get them over that hump. Georgia fans are getting impatient. Big year for him and the Bulldogs.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Spurrier has said he won't leave. Steve just has no fight left in him, its really sad. He wants to retire at SC in a couple more years. His team is undisciplined at times and weak in spots that is very "unspurrierlike"

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

The problem with Richt is that he has never played in the BCS Championship game. He has won two SEC titles, one with a one loss team (Florida) and one with a two loss team (Florida and Auburn). He has lost his last two games to Florida by a combined score of 90-27. His team lost 5 games last season, including games at Tennessee and at home against Kentucky. That is inexcusable. This year he has 10 starters returning on offense, and switches to a 3-4 defense to better fit is personnel. There can be no excuses this year. I think with the schedule he plays (no Alabama or LSU, and Arkansas at home) his team has enough talent to win 10 games and possibly the SEC East.
    No Alabama or LSU and Arkansas at home ... WOW that helps!

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Good list. I think Erickson will have a tough time keeping his job in Tempe after this season.

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

Dan Hawkins should probably be at the top of the list. I don't see Colorado coming out of the hole.

RichRod has a chance. Michigan will be better again this year. They are making steady progress but I don't know if it will be enough for the Michigan faithful. No mater who took that job it wasn't gonna happen over night.

Spurrier will not get fired. SC will be better this season but the rooster admin don't have the balls to fire him anyway.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
    Dan Hawkins should probably be at the top of the list. I don't see Colorado coming out of the hole.

RichRod has a chance. Michigan will be better again this year. They are making steady progress but I don't know if it will be enough for the Michigan faithful. No mater who took that job it wasn't gonna happen over night.

Spurrier will not get fired. SC will be better this season but the rooster admin don't have the balls to fire him anyway.
    saying rooster and balls in the same sentence is classic.......a very good list......you could have added Houston Nutt.....

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

The alum are after Rich Rodriguez's scalp?

rwsmith
    rwsmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thats true...favorable schedule no doubt...But 10 returning starters and a favorable sec lineup is that enough to get him the boot if they stumble..what about 8 wins with losses to florida and Auburn which are must wins in the eyes of georgia fans.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

8 wins and I would fire him. Who else do they lose to? South Carolina? Arkansas? Ga. Tech? If he loses to Florida and Auburn, as you say, and then to Ga. Tech, that means Richt goes 1-3 in his final 4 games, and the win come against lowly Idaho State at home. That alone may get him fired. This team may lose a couple of games, but 4 is totally unexcusable. Not with the talent they have coming back and a weaker SEC overall. Not with the fact that they duck Alabama and LSU.

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 880

I'm not so sure about Miles. LSU has lost some games, but they look like they're still near the top every year to me. Also, the SEC is very tough and having a couple losses every season in the SEC doesn't mean that your team is slipping.

SHADYLANKY
    Update your status
    SHADYLANKY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

I think Rodriguez is likely to be gone at the end of the season. Will Kiffin be on the hot seat by the end of the year? Or does he get a free pass even if they lose 3 games his 1st season.

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

Quote Originally Posted by SHADYLANKY View Post
    I think Rodriguez is likely to be gone at the end of the season. Will Kiffin be on the hot seat by the end of the year? Or does he get a free pass even if they lose 3 games his 1st season.
    Kiffin will not be on the hot seat so soon. More than likely, they will lose 3 games this season. He will have some time to get things back on track.

I still think RichRod will get more time. I think they will be much improved at Michigan and the alums better understand that another coach will set the program back another 4 or 5 years.

jaydes40
    jaydes40's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

VL brings up a good point. If Rich Rod gets fired by Michigan, they will have to start over again. Since his offense would probably go with him, that means at least another two years of wheel spinning for Michigan while they try to get thepropler personnel for yet another different offense. However, he must defeat Ohio State in 2011, if he survives 2010. Michigan hd a pretty good recruiting class, second to only Penn State in the Big 10, according to some. That could help.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

dan hawkins suck