VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why isn't Troy in a bowl game?!?

Their 8 - 4 is more than enough considering there are plenty of 6 - 6 and 7 - 5 teams in bowl games... I know that Florida Atlantic won and grabbed the tiebreaker for the Sun Belt conference, but honestly the Trojans should have a bowl somewhere!
    Last edited by VegasDave; 12-08-07 at 04:57 AM.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I suppose the logic is that the Sun Bell shouldn't have two bowl teams. But then again, Troy did beat Oklahoma State rather handily, so you may have a case.

Big Flo
    Big Flo's Avatar Become A Pro!

U know what? Thats a good question. They did play some tough opponents and did quite well even though they lost. I think that loss to Fla. Atl. is what did it. They were 15 1/2 pt. favorites and they lost straight up. I guess probably cuz their in a week conference.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That is a very good question. I didn't even think about Troy not being in until this thread.

Troy only lost by 10 to UGA
    Beat Oklahoma State

They got screwed.

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29934

I agree - they should be in for the reasons mentioned above. Since the Sunbelt started bowling in '01, Troy, last year, is the only one to win a bowl game. Last year they clobbered Rice. Also last year was the only year, i think, the Sunbelt got 2 teams in and the 2nd team, MTSU, got beat badly by a MAC team, CMU.
    I think Troy should be in over the 6-6 SEC team that LOST to a Sunbelt also ran and finished the season 0-4..

LT Profits

hhsilver,

Actually Troy was the second Sun Belt team to win a Bowl. North Texas upset Memphis (?) a few years back.

nep1293
    nep1293's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    hhsilver,

Actually Troy was the second Sun Belt team to win a Bowl. North Texas upset Memphis (?) a few years back.
    North Texas beat Cincinnati in 2002, they lost to Memphis in 2003

The reason Troy isn't in is because all of the other leagues have more than 1 Bowl tie in. I think Navy and TCU were the only teams who got at large selections. There wasnt a spot for Troy. Although I do agree they should have gotten in over many of the 6-6 or 7-5 teams.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bowls pick teams that have a large fan base that will travel, I dont see Troy having a big fan base. Bottom line is $$$$

LT Profits

Thanks nep. I knew UNT had a win somewhere.

fredtheturd
    fredtheturd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Troy has a pretty good fan base down here and most are willing to travel to the games considering MOST of the bowl games seem to be in the south-east anyways. I guess it's all subjective, kind of like the Heisman.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Troy is a very solid team and is defintely good enough to be in the postseason. Florida Atlantic also is a very solid team, but they only give one team a bowl chance. . . Check out these teams combined losses. . . South Florida, Kentucky, Oklahoma St, Florida (4/5 FAU losses) . . . Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, and FAU (Troy losses). . .

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

last year there were 2 Sun Belt teams.....Troy would have been a good selection this year.

matskralc
    matskralc's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    Bowls pick teams that have a large fan base that will travel, I dont see Troy having a big fan base. Bottom line is $$$$
    Yep. Troy ain't gonna make anybody any money.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Even most of the people in Troy are Alabama or Auburn fans. I have the utmost respect for Troy and their coach Larry Blakeney, as they pull off a couple of solid upsets every year. Troy is a competitive team that very few teams would want to play in the bowls....

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by matskralc View Post
    Yep. Troy ain't gonna make anybody any money.
    They could have made me money. Let me get another over-inflated line versus a bigger name school and it would have been more holiday cash

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for backing me on this guys...

I really didn't want to have to begin to list teams that shouldn't be there over Troy... why are Conference USA's top 6 teams all in a bowl?

nages1018
    nages1018's Avatar Become A Pro!

The reason why Troy didn't get a much deserved bowl bid is the same reason why Michigan did.

Money! and the fear that few would few the need to watch a relative dark horse when the likes of Southern Cal, LSU, Ohio St, etc would be playing at the same time.

For the same reason, Michigan, even after losing (early in the season) to Appalachian St) was allowed a second consideration. But Michigan is too important a draw for the TV crowd (and ad money).

Go throgh the bowl games this year and tell me that each of those teams really deserves the bowl bid it received.(???!!)

For the most part I've read that the networks are nervous as it is that some of the teams that really do serve to be on won't draw the audience the networks want.

I say let the newcomers play! They deserve it more than some of the others!