bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Navy's Paul Johnson is the new Georgia Tech coach

Just when I thought [iSBRFORUM]Georgia Tech[/iSBRFORUM] couldn't have any dumber after they fired Chan Gailey, but they somehow managed to. I mean come on... Like that triple-option spread offense is gonna really work in that speed ridden ACC conference.

TheGreek current line on the [iSBRFORUM]Navy[/iSBRFORUM]/[iSBRFORUM]Utah[/iSBRFORUM] bowl game is the Utes -8 with a total of 67.
    Last edited by bigboydan; 12-07-07 at 12:20 PM. Reason: correction of ACC not SEC

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Just when I thought [iSBRFORUM]Georgia Tech[/iSBRFORUM] couldn't have any dumber after they fired Chan Gailey, but they somehow managed to. I mean come on... Like that triple-option spread offense is gonna really work in that speed ridden SEC conference.

TheGreek current line on the [iSBRFORUM]Navy[/iSBRFORUM]/[iSBRFORUM]Utah[/iSBRFORUM] bowl game is the Utes -8 with a total of 67.
    They run the midline option which is difficult to defend with nonathletes. Now he will work with better ones. Also, GT is in the ACC not SEC. Option offenses are great for college especially with better type athletes. See Florida, Nebraska a few years back, WV etc.

The key is having an athletic QB that can throw too.
    Last edited by The Seer; 12-07-07 at 01:24 PM.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Not surprising...He was at Georgia Southern winning I-AA national championships before he went to Navy.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Johnson is well respected in the coaching community. I think it was a good hire. He has a history of elevating programs-quickly too.

Here's more about his achievements.
    http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-...on_paul00.html

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I think he is a great coach and a great hire. Georgia Tech will be a quality team. I don't know how you can knock the coach, his system has worked everywhere he has been. Better athletes will only make his system better.

Junkyard Dog
    Get up and Get it
    Junkyard Dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1899

I was planning on taking navy+pts but idk after this. How do u guys feel this will affect the team?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Navy will be very well motivated for the bowl game. The game is in San Diego, so this is a home game. Navy will want to perform well before the troops, and give their 'general' an honorable exit. You know how it is with those military types. This game has 'salute' written all over it.

Plus they're in the dog seat, which is preferable for bowls before New Year's Eve.

Feel free to talk me out of it, because this is my first selection for the SBR sponsored team (which doesn't mean it will be included as a pick).
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 12-08-07 at 04:37 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like Navy didn't waste anytime replacing Paul Johnson at all.

I don't think the coaching change will really be all that big of deal for their bowl game now, because they hired assistant coach Ken Niumatalolo.

Heres the whole scoop.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk already had a new coach in mind when Paul Johnson left for Georgia Tech on Friday after six successful seasons.

Assistant Ken Niumatalolo was promoted to the head coaching job Saturday.

"After the Army-Navy game, I kind of tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'Hey Kenny, if anything comes about I want to talk to you,'" Gladchuk said.

The decision was easy, given that Gladchuk wanted a coach who would continue Johnson's potent triple-option offense.

"Fundamentally, at Navy it's going to be the triple option," Gladchuk said. "It's an offense that has been really successful for us and given us that edge, that dimension. If you look at who's out there that can run the triple option, I consider Kenny one of the masters."

Niumatalolo said it didn't concern him that Johnson might continue to get credit for the Midshipmen's vaunted rushing attack.

"I don't really care whose offense we call it. We're going to use it because it works," he said. "I've been involved with this offense for 20 years. I've called the plays for this offense before. I learned a lot from Paul about the various wrinkles and how to make adjustments."

The 42-year-old Niumatalolo, who's of Samoan descent but was born and raised in Hawaii, is believed to be the first Polynesian head coach in NCAA history.

"Hopefully, if I do well it will open doors for some other guys," he said.

Niumatalolo had two coaching stints at Navy for a total of 10 seasons, including the last six, when he was assistant head coach and offensive line coach.

Johnson enjoyed unprecedented success at Navy. The Midshipmen went 45-29 in his six seasons, including 43-19 over the last five years, and recorded six straight wins over Army for the first time in history.

"We want to continue to dominate the other academies," Niumatalolo said. "We look forward to keeping this machine going."

Niumatalolo played a major role in installing the triple-option attack, which enabled Navy to set the school's single-season scoring record this year. He will coach the Midshipmen against Utah in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 20.

Navy led the nation in rushing in four of the last five years, including each of the past three seasons, a first in NCAA history. The Midshipmen are averaging a school-record 351.5 yards rushing per game this year.

A 1989 graduate of Hawaii, Niumatalolo lettered three years as a quarterback and led the Rainbow Warriors to their first postseason bowl in 1989. He was hired as a full-time assistant by his alma mater in 1992 and spent three seasons as an offensive assistant coach.

Navy players praised the decision to hire Niumatalolo.

"I think it's a great move. Personally, I'm happy because we've got a coach who really knows the option," junior quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada said. "We got a curveball thrown at us on Friday, but we woke up [Saturday] and found out we already have a new coach."

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

It's difficult to prevent the service academy teams from being up for any game. Knowing Johnson is heading out from Annapolis won't affect that team. And I think it's a great hire for the Ramblin' Wreck.