bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tuberville to Arkansas?

I don't know if this is actually a good idea or not. It's almost like the Razorbacks are settling for somebody thats "ok", and not better than Nutt was.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Thursday he's not going to rush through his negotiations with university officials toward a new contract despite ``a sense of urgency outside in the public eye, but contracts take forever.''

Tuberville also told his weekly Tiger Talk radio audience that ``I'm not looking to go anywhere.''

The taped interview came as various Arkansas media outlets reported Thursday night that Tuberville is on the verge of signing a contract with the Razorbacks. A source who talked to Tuberville on Thursday evening denied the reports.

Tuberville had meetings with Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs and university President Jay Gogue early in the week. They didn't meet Wednesday or Thursday.

``We're not going to run and jump through this,'' Tuberville said. ``I'm looking to make sure that people understand for us to get better, this program needs to take some steps in some areas for us to improve.''

Tuberville also said, ``What we've done - and what we'll probably do for another week - is sit down and look at the best circumstances for this team and program. There are a lot of variables you need to look.''

More in Friday's Birmingham News.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Tubberville's a much better coach than Nutt. It's not even close.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I'm pretty well connected with the AU program Danny, and actually went back to sit in a box for the Bama game. One of my buddies played with Tommy at Augusta National during the off week prior to the Bama game, and long story short it ain't happening. He moved his mother from Arkansas to Auburn earlier in the year (she'd never moved away from Arkansas previously), and his kids seem to really enjoy the town (granted they haven't known of much else). I have the utmost respect for Houston Nutt and think he'll do as fine a job as is possible at Ole Miss fyi (they have a great program and facilities by most any other conference's standards, but are clearly a 2nd tier SEC team)....

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

ummm......Tommy Tubbervile is one of the best coaches out there? have you seen his record against top 10 schools? Have you seen his record against Alabama?

The guy is really really good....way underrated if anything and would be a major upgrade from Houston Nutt.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't say I'm surprised at all really. This whole stunt was just a ploy to get a little leverage in order for Auburn to pony up a little more loot.

Tuberville reportedly agree to 2-year contract extension

NEW YORK -- Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville reportedly agreed to a two-year contract extension Tuesday that includes a $200,000 annual raise and ends speculation that he might leave for another job.

Tuberville, who was in New York for National Football Hall of Fame functions, told The Birmingham News and The Huntsville Times that he and athletic director Jay Jacobs reached an agreement that will run through the 2013 season. They completed the deal Tuesday afternoon in a meeting at his hotel.

He will make $2.8 million next season, escalating to $3.8 million in the final year, the two newspapers reported.

Tuberville had been mentioned as a candidate for the now-filled Texas A&M job and the Arkansas opening, which remains vacant.

"We're excited about it," Tuberville said. "It's one of those things that we worked it slow. I know people have been anxious. I haven't been looking at any other job. I don't want any other job. I love Auburn. We want to be at Auburn a long time, as long as we can be there. Good things happen slow. We're excited about it."

He said the deal includes a buyout clause and will provide security for his assistant coaches.

"We made sure the coaches are comfortable, and they are," Tuberville said. "They're excited about it."

Tuberville, who had been seeking multiyear contracts for his assistants along with facilities upgrades, did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone by The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The contract includes a buyout that will be at $6 million in 2008, $5 million in 2009 and $4 million after that if Tuberville leaves for another job or is fired.