Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

West Virginia is one half of the Championship Game...whos the other?

I'm glad the overrated LSU Tigers went down! Ohio State caught a TON of flak for being overrated and maybe rightly so but LSU is now 1-6 ATS in the SEC! Kansas/Missouri winner should be #1 in my book but this border war may be so intense that they can't get back up for the Big12 Championship! Ohio State and maybe Georgia (?) get back in the mix if the KU/Missouri winner loses. What if Kansas loses tomorrow by 1 point and then Missouri falls to 11-2 with a Big12 Championship loss? Does KU jump them and play in the National Championship? What a crazy year!

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29922

there are a lot of voters against a conference non-champ getting in, although it doesn't matter to the computers. Remember when nebraska got in and got embarrasses as conf non-champ a few yrs ago.

don't be surprised if WVU loses to pitt or conn.

I hope we never get the playoff so many want. No other sport has a regular season with so many big games.

4FUN.AND$$
    4FUN.AND$$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

WVU and Ohio state.

Missou / Kansas winner loses to Oklahoma if Bradford back and then
    Ohio State moves up and plays for the championship. If any Big12 school in the National Championship then this year is a bust.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by hhsilver View Post
    don't be surprised if WVU loses to pitt or conn.
    HA! Not a chance!!! UConn is ok and might ...MIGHT cover but outright..??? Pitt. SUCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hhsilver View Post
    I hope we never get the playoff so many want. No other sport has a regular season with so many big games.
    Yeah I agree because the NFL has a playoff system and no one really cares about any of the games until the playoffs start... They can't possibly be getting away with charging $250 to watch these meanningless games when the people can just wait for the playoffs and watch them for free... I can't understand why no one goes to any of these meanningless games like NE/Indy or the Cowboys game coming up with the Packers...

The NFL doesn't mean anything to HSliver and I until the playoffs so call us when it starts...

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Such a shame that SC lost that fluke game to Stanford.

Everyone completely wrote them off but note that without Booty's awful decisions in that game, USC is a 1 loss team with its only loss against Oregon and is an absolute shoo-in for national championship honors.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm hoping KU wins out. All the confusion and supposed #1, #2 teams losing all the time is making me sick.

I wish the debate would end , and D-I would just go with a playoff already.....

awhitejackson
    Slappin troubles away with the SlapChop
    awhitejackson's Avatar Become A Pro!

WVU' offense Versus Mizzou's offense would equal the game of the year.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Quote Originally Posted by awhitejackson View Post
    WVU' offense Versus Mizzou's offense would equal the game of the year.
    Kansas doesn't have that bad of a offense either.

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have to admit that LSU certainly looks overrated and anytime you give 50 points to Arkansas and over 30 to Ole Miss then we have a very serious problem here in BR. Our defense is pitiful right now. I know banging week end and week out in the SEC can wear you down but everything was laid out for them if they would have taken care of their business. I have banged on Ohio St. enough and am man enough to take what people say about LSU. I will probably agree with most of it. I know one thing. They DON'T deserve to play for any national championship and I could see Tenn. whipping them good if the defense doesn't improve and get back to being aggresive and blitzing and flying all over the field....

Money2Burn
    Money2Burn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kansas Vs. West Virginia

Bigcrank23
    Bigcrank23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    HA! Not a chance!!! UConn is ok and might ...MIGHT cover but outright..??? Pitt. SUCKS!!!

Yeah I agree because the NFL has a playoff system and no one really cares about any of the games until the playoffs start... They can't possibly be getting away with charging $250 to watch these meanningless games when the people can just wait for the playoffs and watch them for free... I can't understand why no one goes to any of these meanningless games like NE/Indy or the Cowboys game coming up with the Packers...

The NFL doesn't mean anything to HSliver and I until the playoffs so call us when it starts...

I disagree....I think college football would be way more exciting with a playoff system. And I dont think that the games would mean nothing just because there is a playoff system. You would still have to win games to make it to the playoffs. Right now with the bowl games the way they are, the only one that means something is the national championship, besides the money the school gets do you think the players really care if the finish the season at #3 in the nation? the answer is no. They would much rather have the oppurtunity to play for the national championship, which with a playoff system, the teams that are sitting at #3 or #4 would still have this chance. And with a playoff they could still have all the other bowl games for the teams that did not make it(even though they would still mean nothing). Just my opinion, and I think that the way this year has gone, there are atleast 6, maybe 8 teams that could play in the national championship, so this would be a perfect time for a playoff.

cartay
    cartay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Will likely Mizzou or Ohio State vs. West Virginia.

I'm interested to see who might be vs. Ohio State if both Mizzou and WV lose before th Bowls

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcrank23 View Post
    Just my opinion, and I think that the way this year has gone, there are atleast 6, maybe 8 teams that could play in the national championship, so this would be a perfect time for a playoff.
    I agree that is the case...this year. But what about seasons such as 2005 when it would have been tough to argue that anyone other than Texas and USC deserved to be in the Championship Game?

As for the first half of your post, are there some players who don't care about being ranked No. 3 as opposed to say No. 2 or No. 5 or No. 10? Sure there are some, but making a blanket statement of 'NO' for all is not valid in my opinion. Take a team like OU right now. The Sooners aren't going to play for the BCS Title, so they are now essentially playing for No. 3 perhaps. Will their intensity be any less next week against Missouri? I'd say no, and these conference championships are essentially early rounds of playoff games. Plus I can assure you coaches aren't lackadaisical in their preparations for the 'lesser' BCS Bowls just because they only have a shot at finishing No. 3.

Bigcrank23
    Bigcrank23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    I agree that is the case...this year. But what about seasons such as 2005 when it would have been tough to argue that anyone other than Texas and USC deserved to be in the Championship Game?

As for the first half of your post, are there some players who don't care about being ranked No. 3 as opposed to say No. 2 or No. 5 or No. 10? Sure there are some, but making a blanket statement of 'NO' for all is not valid in my opinion. Take a team like OU right now. The Sooners aren't going to play for the BCS Title, so they are now essentially playing for No. 3 perhaps. Will their intensity be any less next week against Missouri? I'd say no, and these conference championships are essentially early rounds of playoff games. Plus I can assure you coaches aren't lackadaisical in their preparations for the 'lesser' BCS Bowls just because they only have a shot at finishing No. 3.
    Ok..maybe I should say that most players dont care if they finish #3 and not all of them, but ask OU what they would rather play for #3 or #1 and see what answer you get. And I do think that intensity of OU would be greater if they where playing for the national championship. I never said and dont think the coaches prepare any less for the smaller bowl games, just dont think the players are as hyped up playing in one of the other bcs bowl games thats not for a national championship as they would be if there was a playoff and they still had a shot at winning it all. And it just my opinion, but take a year such as 2005, I would have loved to have seen a playoff and see a team such as penn st.,oregon,ohio st. etc. knock off USC or Texas. But I like upsets and underdogs so I guess thats why I think this way. Not everyone will agree but I would love to see a playoff tried for atleast one year, and then hear people say it wasnt exciting.

Willie Bee

Ok..maybe I should say that most players dont care if they finish #3 and not all of them, but ask OU what they would rather play for #3 or #1 and see what answer you get.
    I have to believe that's true for anyone in any sport, they'd much rather play in the championship than in the consolation game. But didn't OU -- and LSU and USC and everyone else for that matter -- have their chances to remove all doubt what game they should be heading to this postseason during the regular season?

Upsets are fun to watch for me as well, but I thought the idea of any system to determine a champion was to make sure the two best teams battled in the end. When you start adding more layers to the postseason, you naturally remove layers of meaning from the regular season. We agreed that this season there were 6-8 teams that were fairly deserving of playing for the BCS Title. Would you have eight teams only every season and, if so, how would you determine which eight were in the playoffs?

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10440

WVU - is most overrated FB team in top 20, VT is most under rated. sweethook.

cartay
    cartay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

So it's likely down to Mizzou, WVU, Ohio State and Georgia.
    Last edited by cartay; 11-25-07 at 04:42 PM.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

wish my dawgs would get in but i would need some help from okla and big big help from pitt

Willie Bee

The way this season has gone wtt, the events you described unfolding to get Georgia in shouldn't really big that big of a deal.

IWishIWasRich
    IWishIWasRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are an LSU FANATIC and REALLY want them in the BCS Championship game you might bet this parlay (which is the only way they could get in). LSU over Tennessee, Pittsburgh over West Virginia, Oklahoma over Missouri. I wonder what that ML parlay would pay??? It ain't going to happen. I am going to load up on Oklahoma ML later as I think Mizzou will get a lot of play. If Oklahoma loses and Mizzou and WVA get in the big game and Ohio State is frozen out it will be worth the loss to me because I hate Ohio State. If they get in that means that I won on Oklahoma because I am sure WVA will beat Pittsburgh. Georgia won't get in the big game because you have to win your conference championship to get in now. This used to not be so. Good luck on your plays, all...

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I disagree....I think college football would be way more exciting with a playoff system. And I dont think that the games would mean nothing just because there is a playoff system. You would still have to win games to make it to the playoffs. Right now with the bowl games the way they are, the only one that means something is the national championship, besides the money the school gets do you think the players really care if the finish the season at #3 in the nation? the answer is no. They would much rather have the oppurtunity to play for the national championship, which with a playoff system, the teams that are sitting at #3 or #4 would still have this chance. And with a playoff they could still have all the other bowl games for the teams that did not make it(even though they would still mean nothing). Just my opinion, and I think that the way this year has gone, there are atleast 6, maybe 8 teams that could play in the national championship, so this would be a perfect time for a playoff.
    I agree bro. I was just being sarcastic.. Anyone who says the games won't matter as much as they do now is not thinking when they make that comment...

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    Anyone who says the games won't matter as much as they do now is not thinking when they make that comment...
    Hey, quit talking about me

My point, Shams, is that every layer you add to the playoffs will reduce some of the meaning for the regular season games. If college football went to the 'BCS +1' format -- #1 vs. #4, #2 vs. #3, winners meet in championship -- it's not going to make much difference at all. I'm actually a proponent of that method.

But if you make it an 8- or 16-team playoff, or god forbid 32 or more teams in the mix, then there will naturally be less meaning to the outcome of regular season contests. We basically started this year believing that a 1-loss team was going to have an uphill battle and be dependent upon computers and sportswriters' bias to make it to the BCS Championship, right?

What needs to happen first, in my opinion, is college football will need a scheduling committee instead of leaving it up to each school to make their own non-conference schedule. Getting everyone to 'conference up' is another issue as well. At least make some effort to level out the non-conference schedules.

And in the end, will the playoff system only include conference champs, or will it have 'wild cards?' If it does have wild cards, you will still need a BCS ranking system to determine the seeding for the playoffs.

There's a ton of work that has to take place other than just saying, "Playoffs would be better."

old threads
    old threads's Avatar Become A Pro!

There should be playoffs for the top 8 conference champions only. This year it would be Missouri-Oklahoma, West Virginia, Ohio St, Georgia-LSU, Virginia Tech-Boston Col, USC-Arizona St, Hawaii and BYU.

Willie Bee

I would go for that old threads as long as you could get the conferences a bit more even and there was something done to make schedules more balanced. Without a true, balanced distribution of power among the conferences, then any playoff system that only includes conference champs is going to be as 'mythical' as it is now.