View Poll Results: If LSU, Oregon and Oklahoma win out, who would face LSU in the BCS Championship Game?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oregon

16 66.67%
  • Oklahoma

8 33.33%
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

IF LSU, Oregon and Oklahoma Win Out, Who Faces LSU in BCS?

First of all, if Kansas wins out, they will definitely be in. The real debate is what happens if the three teams in the thread title win out (meaning Kansas would lose to Oklahoma, assuming they beat Missouri to get to Big 12 Championship Game).

LSU is obvious, but I would take Oklahoma instead of Oregon, for the simple fact that the Sooners would be a slight favorite over the Ducks if they faced each other on a neutral field. I think that is a fair tiebreaker (in the absence of PLAYOFFS) in a case like this where both teams would have identical records. Thoughts?
    Last edited by LT Profits; 11-12-07 at 02:03 AM.

shrax4
    shrax4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Get some sleep LT!

I think Oklahoma would get in based on being more heralded than Oregon, but I'll certainly be pulling for Oregon to play LSU in the big game.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by shrax4 View Post
    Get some sleep LT!
    I just woke up a little while ago...LOL

I am a night owl.

Actually, Oklahoma being a projected favorite over Oregon has nothing to do with popularity, but everything to do with the fact that they are ranked just ahead of the Ducks in both the LVSC and Sagarin Power Ratings. Thus, berth would be merited.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri are all pretty even imo but who would get the most push with winning the Big 12 in the BCS? Kansas would be the only undefeated BCS team which should be enough imo? Missouri would have an advantage in they get first shot to beat an undefeated Kansas while Oklahoma has already beat Mizzou so they should pull for KU to win as beating them would do more for the Sooners! Don't know who they would play but wouldn't be shocked if LSU lost the SEC Championship. They don't have the QB play of the other top teams and have already survived a bunch of squeakers! I know the SEC is tough but don't tell me Auburn would come within 1 second of beating any of the other top teams on the road this year!

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree, If Kansas wins out they should be in the championship game v. LSU (if LSU also wins out).

However, it bothers me that Oregon is ranked 2nd in the BCS in front of No. 3 Kansas.

That tells me that Oregon will probably play LSU even if KU wins out due to some Pac 10 bias (real or imagined).

The only thing that would be a difference maker is the score differential, which may be good thing for all teams involved to run up the score at any chance.

LT Profits

jon13009,

The question is would it be Oregon or OKLAHOMA if both win out.

As I already stated in Post #1, if Kansas wins out, they are in. The would definitely leapfrog Oregon as they would have late-season wins over Missouri and Oklahoma to go with an unbeaten record.

If Oklahoma wins out, that means Kansas would have at least one loss.
    Last edited by LT Profits; 11-12-07 at 10:58 AM.

LT Profits

Oh and by the way jon, the reason Oregon is ranked ahead of Kansas now is because Kansas hasn't beaten anyone yet. That would certainly change if they close out with wins over Mizzou and OU.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    jon13009,

As I already stated in Post #1, if Kansas wins out, they are in. The would definitely leapfrog Oregaon as they would have late-season wins over Missouri and Oklahoma to go with an unbeaten record.

Missouri will beat Kansas. The real question is if Missouri beats Oklahoma then who goes to the final? Missouri, LSU or Oregon.

LT Profits

I would take Oregon over Missouri pavy, since they would have the same record if both win out and Oregon would be around -3 over Mizzou on neutral ground. So my order of preference if Kansas does not win out:

Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Missouri

LT Profits

Oh, I am assuming LSU will be in as the #1 team. The above pecking order is for their opponent.

bmac
    bmac's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really hope oregon gets in.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

I would take Oregon over Missouri pavy, since they would have the same record if both win out and Oregon would be around -3 over Mizzou on neutral ground. So my order of preference if Kansas does not win out:

Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Missouri
    This doesn't make any sense. IF Missouri beats Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship it will only have one loss whereas Oklahoma will have 2. Do you think a team with 2 losses will leapfrog a team with 1 loss?

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29934

Should WVU be in the mix? I guess they have to settle for being the best 1 loss team to not be in the discussion.

LT Profits

Sorry, I should have specified that the order of preferrence I gave above is for right NOW, and whoever loses a game the rest of the way drops out.

If Missouri beats Oklahoma, Sooners are out of the mix and you are left with:

Oregon
    Missouri

As for West Virginia, they get penalized for playing in the sorry-ass Big East. The only way the Mountaineers would be worth a mention is if ALL the contenders lose a game, which will not happen.

sikballplaya24
    sikballplaya24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oregon is a better team than Oklahoma all around

sikballplaya24
    sikballplaya24's Avatar Become A Pro!

and yet i would like to add, quite possibly have a higher chance of beating LSU, because if you have seem them play, they are MIGHTY QUICK AND FAST on defense and offense

LT Profits

The linemakers disagree with you playa, as Oklahoma would be a 2 to 2.5 point favorite over Oregon, based purely on power ratings. Intersting that Oklahoma has the 2nd highest power rating RIGHT NOW, yet are ranked 4th or 5th depending on the poll. That means that Sooners would be favored over every team in the county on a neutral field except LSU.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

This is an excellent question of who plays in the national championship game, there is plenty of football left and I do believe that Oregon has some tough teams left to play still, they have to play at UCLA, they have Oregon State which always plays Oregon tough, you all know what is up with the Big 12, you did forget the Oklahoma still plays Oklahoma State which always plays them tough too.

The teams left for LSU is still Arkansas and their championship game against Georgia or Tennessee is still possible upsets.

There is plenty of football left and an awful lot to be determined in these next few weeks. A lot could happen between now and then, as we all know there has been an awful lot of upsets this season.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

LT, you haven't watched Oregon play much this year, have you?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by tblues2005 View Post
    This is an excellent question of who plays in the national championship game, there is plenty of football left and I do believe that Oregon has some tough teams left to play still, they have to play at UCLA, they have Oregon State which always plays Oregon tough, you all know what is up with the Big 12, you did forget the Oklahoma still plays Oklahoma State which always plays them tough too.

The teams left for LSU is still Arkansas and their championship game against Georgia or Tennessee is still possible upsets.

There is plenty of football left and an awful lot to be determined in these next few weeks. A lot could happen between now and then, as we all know there has been an awful lot of upsets this season.
    I totally agree. If you think last year's choice for final teams was controversial wait till you see this year's. There is a slim possibility that a team with two losses may make it to the final game.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

jon13009,

As I already stated in Post #1, if Kansas wins out, they are in. The would definitely leapfrog Oregon as they would have late-season wins over Missouri and Oklahoma to go with an unbeaten record.

Sorry LT,

Oregon is my pick because of the ranking (which I think is due to some Pac-10 bias). But OU is in a stronger conference. IMO.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by usckingsfan31 View Post
    LT, you haven't watched Oregon play much this year, have you?
    That is totally irrelevant, I am going by power ratings here. Just the fact that the guys that make the lines would make Oklahoma favored over Oregon is good enough for me.

Lock-ness monsta
    Lock-ness monsta's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ask that Shark guy. He says Kansas is the best team since the 95 Dallas Cowboys. If Oklahoma beats them - they should immediately get the crown. Seriously though, if Oklahoma wins out, they should be rewarded for being in a conference with a championship game. Oregon should be forced to beat the second ranked team in the WAC (sic) Ten.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

This is a great question the way its asked.
    There is no way if Kansas wins out they don't make it. They might even make it as #1 (not that it matters - because at the very least they'll be #2).
    I think the real controversy starts when you consider that exact scenario.
    If LSU, Oklahoma and Oregon wins out - then who do you leave out?

I think you have to leave Oklahoma out.

The system pretty much sucks.
    The BCS makes things so interesting though. I would hate if it was a tournament with 8 teams or w/e. But I would love to see a 4 team tournament at the end of the season to determine the national championship.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

Also let me add.
    LSU loses to Oregon or Oklahoma in the championship game.
    So if I was an LSU fan i'd be pulling for Kansas to win out

paul Mordeeb
    paul Mordeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Oregon has no good games left. The only way mabey is if Oklahoma beats mizzu unimpressively in a big 12 final. Then oregon might slip in.