rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Top 5 teams in the country?

With almost everyone on the board pretty much in agreement that OSU's not the best team in the country, despite what the new rankings say, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on who the top 5 teams (regardless of ranking) are. The criteria should be, all things being equal - neutral field etc. - who are the 5 tops teams in the country.

My list:

1: Oklahoma - Not much separating 1 and 2, but I give the Sooners a slight edge because their offense is far more explosive, and Stoops v. Miles is no comparison.

2: LSU - Still think the Tigers win out and meet OU in the title game. The defense is loaded, but where was the pass rush yesterday?

3: Florida - Pretty significant drop-off after the top 2 teams. Tebow's better than I thought, there are playmakers all over the field on offense, and the young Gators' defense is improving. Team showed a lot in giving LSU all they could handle.

4: Cal - Still the best team in the Pac 10, IMO. Tough position playing w/o Longshore, but the Bears' offense will give any team trouble.

5: BC - I have no idea who to put here. Oregon - no defense, South Carolina - freshman QB .... nope, West Virginia - see Oregon, USC - they lost to Stanford .... no chance. Almost put Missouri here, as they gave OU a scare in Norman, and w/o 4 costly TO's, they played the Sooners almost even. A case could be made for USF, but I think the Eagles are a more complete team.

Who ya got??

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

1 - LSU
    2- Florida (I know...won't finish as high as they should because of two losses)
    3 - Oklahoma
    4 - California
    5 - South Carolina (came down to Gamecocks and Kentucky, and South Carolina won handily head-to-head)

Have to reward the SEC for having far and away the best conference in the country.

pegasis0066
    pegasis0066's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know Ohio State doesn't belong in that list.

I think/hope Michigan kicks the crap out of them and puts this injustice to bed.

LT Profits

Won't have to wait that long pegasis. Penn State will beat them in a couple of weeks.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    1 - LSU
    2- Florida (I know...won't finish as high as they should because of two losses)
    3 - Oklahoma
    4 - California
    5 - South Carolina (came down to Gamecocks and Kentucky, and South Carolina won handily head-to-head)

Have to reward the SEC for having far and away the best conference in the country.
    LT,
    As an alum of the University of South Carolina, it pains me to say this...but we're not close to being the #5 team in the country.

I won't be surprised if we lose to both Tennessee and Florida. Our second half performance yesterday in Chapel Hill was enough to make me want to hurl!

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

In what other conference can you schedule Youngstown St, Akron, Kent St and a bottom team from the pitiful Pac 10 and win them all and become the No.1 team in the country? What a freakin joke!! Ok we will see. The real schedule awaits them for the second half of the season and if they fnish that undefeated then I will eat my words. But they better hope they don't because the SEC could await in the big game and we will all know how that will come out....Ohio St No.1???...thats embarrasing to college football

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

bc is not a top 5 team

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
    bc is not a top 5 team
    Yeah, I hear ya. They're almost there by default, as I couldn't really find a more suitable alternative. I actually wanted to put Auburn at 5 the way they're playing the last 3 games, but I couldn't justify putting Auburn ahead of USF.

The way I see it, OU and LSU are by far the two best team, with UF and Cal a step below. After that, I don't see much separating 5-10.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

1. LSU
    2. OU
    3. Cal
    4. Ohio State
    5. Oregon

I'm not a big Ohio State guy, but they have to be in the top five. Florida is rubbish and will lose either one or two more games.

austintx05

i dont think cal is a top 5 team either...to me the pac10 is a joke

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5707

1. LSU
    2. Oklahoma
    3. California
    4. Oregon
    5. Arizona State

After 1 and 2 it is really a mix and match of a few teams. Did I just put 3 PAC 10 teams in there?

sirwinzalot
    sirwinzalot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

1. LSU
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Missouri
    4. Ohio State
    5. Boston College
    6. Arizona State

Almost forgot about the Sun Devils, these are 6 of the best teams.........for my money

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guys I think LSU is capable of being No.1 but until the QB play, mainly Matt Flynn, gets to playing better then I am unsure we deserve a top spot. They were so many under thrown balls Sat. it made me sick. This is the 3rd week he has not played well and until he does, there is no way we can make it to the National Championship....

Sabanbama
    Sabanbama's Avatar Become A Pro!

1.Ohio St.
    2.S.Florida
    3.Oklahoma
    4.Virginia Tech
    5.Alabama

Sabanbama

SEC is wide open right now, thats why I put Bama in the top 5.

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanbama View Post
    1.Ohio St.
    2.S.Florida
    3.Oklahoma
    4.Virginia Tech
    5.Alabama
    Wow. That's the biggest homer pick I've ever seen. Bama is, at best, the 8th best team in the SEC. Have you seen this team play of late? If not for a few big special teams plays, they lose to Ole Miss Sat. They deserved to lose to Houston, as they were completely dominated after the 1st Q, they did nothing offensively all game against FSU, they lost at home to UGA, and they were extremely fortunate to escape with a home win over Arky after a monumental collapse. JPW hasn't played a good game in over a month, and the defensive can't stop anyone. I hope you're kidding with these rankings.

Sabanbama

No actually I am serious, check back with me in about 6 weeks and I will remind you that I said this. The system they are running on offense is starting gel at the right time. Also if you can remember Ole Miss almost beat Florida as well. Just relax and watch Bama put one on Tennessee this weekend.

Sabanbama

Saban will have them ready for big SEC games.

rjt721

No actually I am serious, check back with me in about 6 weeks and I will remind you that I said this.
    I'll look forward to your response when they're 7-5 heading into the Independence Bowl.

if you can remember Ole Miss almost beat Florida as well.
    Yes, they're also the same team that's winless in the conference.

Put down the bottle.

Sabanbama

I dont drink I am not a Red Sox fan. You have to be an alcoholic to pull for them ilegal drug taking idiots.

shrax4
    shrax4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Man, you guys are way off. The prelude to the championship game is this Saturday fellas!

Stanford at Arizona.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I have no idea. I'm surprised how so many people answered this question.

Florida might be the best team in college football. LSU and Oklahoma are tough.

Really tough question.

austintx05

Quote Originally Posted by sirwinzalot View Post
    1. LSU
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Missouri
    4. Ohio State
    5. Boston College
    6. Arizona State

Almost forgot about the Sun Devils, these are 6 of the best teams.........for my money
    are you serious? Arizona St? Boston College? At least I can understand your homer call on Mizzou...although I don't think they are a top 10 team

austintx05

1. LSU
    2. Florida
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC
    5. Michigan

Putting Michigan at #5 is tough and the reason I do it is because I believe they have a shot to beat Ohio St late this season and if they do, the way things are going, the Wolverines could have a shot at being in the Top 5.

mshanedub420
    mshanedub420's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    With almost everyone on the board pretty much in agreement that OSU's not the best team in the country, despite what the new rankings say, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on who the top 5 teams (regardless of ranking) are. The criteria should be, all things being equal - neutral field etc. - who are the 5 tops teams in the country.

My list:

1: Oklahoma - Not much separating 1 and 2, but I give the Sooners a slight edge because their offense is far more explosive, and Stoops v. Miles is no comparison.

2: LSU - Still think the Tigers win out and meet OU in the title game. The defense is loaded, but where was the pass rush yesterday?

3: Florida - Pretty significant drop-off after the top 2 teams. Tebow's better than I thought, there are playmakers all over the field on offense, and the young Gators' defense is improving. Team showed a lot in giving LSU all they could handle.

4: Cal - Still the best team in the Pac 10, IMO. Tough position playing w/o Longshore, but the Bears' offense will give any team trouble.

5: BC - I have no idea who to put here. Oregon - no defense, South Carolina - freshman QB .... nope, West Virginia - see Oregon, USC - they lost to Stanford .... no chance. Almost put Missouri here, as they gave OU a scare in Norman, and w/o 4 costly TO's, they played the Sooners almost even. A case could be made for USF, but I think the Eagles are a more complete team.

Who ya got??
    CALS OFFENSE IS NOTHING WITHOUT LONGSHORE!!!!!!! NOTHING!!! Skill players cant do much when the routs and delivery of the balls are not smooth. Its like running a Lamborghini with a chevy cobalt V-6 in it. Just not the same. obviously...

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

1. LSU
    2. Florida
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC
    5. Michigan

Putting Michigan at #5 is tough and the reason I do it is because I believe they have a shot to beat Ohio St late this season and if they do, the way things are going, the Wolverines could have a shot at being in the Top 5.
    I'm assuming by USC you mean South Carolina?

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by mshanedub420 View Post
    CALS OFFENSE IS NOTHING WITHOUT LONGSHORE!!!!!!! NOTHING!!! Skill players cant do much when the routs and delivery of the balls are not smooth. Its like running a Lamborghini with a chevy cobalt V-6 in it. Just not the same. obviously...
    I never said the offense was the same w/o Nate.

1. LSU
    2. Florida
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC
    5. Michigan

Wow. I love it.

UM's toughest game is this week. They match up well with OSU, but Illinois' offense poses problems. Speed at QB kills this team, and Juice will have a big day running the ball. Last team w/ the ball may very well win this game. A 44-40 type score wouldn't surprise me.

claggart
    claggart's Avatar Become A Pro!

A friendly wager on Ohio State

Gentlemen,
    Let's put our money where our mouths are. I'm willing to entertain wagers for OSU to go undefeated in Big 10 play. Several of you see them having no shot of doing so, and since I don't see them losing to either Michigan or Penn State, I want you to stake your claim. Wager anyone? Odds? Let me know. Incidentally, I hate Ohio State, but they're just not gonna lose in Big 10 play. Incidentally, I took them at 13-1 a few weeks ago to win the whole thing.

ntgarrett
    ntgarrett's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    S Carolina
    S Florida

Hemlock21
    Hemlock21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 606

I'll play

1. Oregon
    2. LSU
    3. Ohio st
    4. Ari St.
    5. Michigan

austintx05

Quote Originally Posted by Wassymac View Post
    I'm assuming by USC you mean South Carolina?
    NO. Trojans will be there....

austintx05

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    I never said the offense was the same w/o Nate.

Wow. I love it.

UM's toughest game is this week. They match up well with OSU, but Illinois' offense poses problems. Speed at QB kills this team, and Juice will have a big day running the ball. Last team w/ the ball may very well win this game. A 44-40 type score wouldn't surprise me.
    You are exactly right, which is why I have Illinois this week. I still feel Michigan has a legit shot here winning the Big 10 and sneaking up in the polls. Early loss is better than a late loss.

puttn4par
    puttn4par's Avatar Become A Pro!

I guess you all think south florida is no good..... Wrongo they are!!!!!!

LT Profits

South Florida is good, but they are nowhere near a Top 5 team. Not even top 10.

LT Profits

claggart,

I already put my money where my mouth is, as I bet that OSU will not win National Championship at -600. And there is an excellent chance that I will bet Penn State on the money line against them, so no need for side bets.

I WILL say that at least getting 13-1 on them is not a terrible play, consdiering the other wide of my No bet was Yes +480.

12 Last