bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Neveda QB Nick Grazianio-OUT for the year

Neveda QB Nick Grazianio-OUT for the year with foot surgery. Collin Kaepernick will get the nod this weekend against Boise St. on Sunday.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

wow...that's big news. Nevada is going to struggle even more than they already are.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

buddy,

I'm not sure that's entirely true...since Graziano had only started about 5 times in his career, they aren't losing much experience...Nevada's QB's are very much system guys, and the back-up performed very well in relief last Saturday...

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pags is right, in that Kaepernick was surprisingly good last week, and he may not be a bad replacement for Graziano. He may, in fact, turn out to be great for Nevada a few years down the line (he's a redshirt freshman). But, make no mistake, starting against Boise State on the blue carpet next Sunday is going to be a lot harder than coming in at home against Fresno State.

Also, Nevada has some other injury problems: Jonathan Amaya, sophomore cornerback, sprained knee, day-to-day; Art King, sophomore receiver, concussion and shoulder separation, questionable; Uche Anyanwu, senior safety, bruised thigh, missed last game, will probably play this weekend. In addition, Nevada had troubles with losses on their offensive line during camp, and have never really patched those holes very well.

Nevada is badly outmatched by Boise State on both sides of the ball, especially with respect to the running game. Most notably, Boise State has a powerful running game, the best in the WAC; Nevada has the worst run defense in the WAC. Boise State, on the other hand, has the best run defense in the WAC, to defend against Nevada's so-so run offense.

With respect to passing, the teams are a bit more closely matched, but this, of course, is a wildcard with Nevada starting the young upstart. Boise State's pass defense is pretty good, and will give Nevada's QB trouble. Kaepernick is going to be under pressure, and his receivers will be covered pretty well.

Bottom line: Nevada does not have a prayer, IMO. They were sloppy against Fresno State -- their performance was worse than the final score suggested. Boise State needs to keep pace with Hawaii in what will be a tough fight for the WAC championship, and they are not going to let Nevada get in the way ... certainly not in Boise.

I expected this line to come in at a little more than 30. In the range of 26 or 27, I will have Boise State to cover, and I will not be surprised if they have the line covered by the end of the first half.
    Last edited by regularguy; 10-09-07 at 07:35 PM. Reason: more detail

regularguy

By the way, it's N-E-V-A-D-A. "Nu-vaaah-du."

pags11

regularguy,

thanks for all of that info...at 28 or more I'd start to eye Nevada, but not sure if I'd make a play...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Thanks for the info and the heads up guys.

pags11

anyone with daily updated injury information on this one, I'd appreciate you posting...

regularguy

Hey pags. I follow the WAC a little bit.

The Reno Gazette Journal reported today (p. 4D) that neither Jonathon Amaya (cornerback, knee, day to day) nor Art King (receiver, concussion and shoulder, questionable) practiced Wednesday. I am assuming that Uche Anyanwu (safety, bruised thigh, missed last game) is going to play.

I continue to believe that Nevada is in for it on this one. Their morale must be terrible. They have lost two games they were thought able to win (Northwestern and Fresno St.), they have lost their quarterback and have other key injuries, they have looked like hell and the problems are fundamental (lines of scrimmage), there are nasty whispers now around Reno, they have a -- how should I put it? -- often effective but often unpleasant coach, and now they have to face Boise State. Frikkin' Yikes.
    Last edited by regularguy; 10-11-07 at 01:06 PM. Reason: detail, detail, detail

regularguy

Updates on Nevada Wolfpack problems:

- Amaya and King will not play Sunday.

- Josh Catapano, who has been starting at center in place of the first string center, who was injured before the season started, injured his knee in practice Wednesday, and did not practice Thursday. The coach expects him to be able to play Sunday.

- And this, according to the Reno Gazette Journal: Vai Taua, a redshirt freshman backup running back quit the team last week. Following some soul searching, he returned to practice Thursday. "Head coach Chris Ault said he allowed Taua to return to the team, but Taua's first day back was spent on the scout team and ended with slammers, an exercise that coaches often use as a disciplinary measure." Taua sees little playing time, and this will not affect the team directly, but to me it is a sign that there is some chaos in the locker room.

Look for Boise State to inflict more discipline on Sunday.