pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another strange event in the UTEP vs. SMU game last week...

so with 7 secs left in the half UTEP is offsides...smartly, Justin Willis throws the ball deep and completes it to the UTEP 30...they decline the penalty but the refs won't let SMU run another play?...my understanding is that a quarter can't end on defensive penalty, and that they play one untimed down...really unbelievable refs didn't get this right...Phil Bennett was going nuts...

mastercapper
    mastercapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Nope that was the right call because if the penalty was declined like u said then there would be no penalty. Thats pretty self-explanatory!!!!!

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

They should have just taken the penalty despite that nullifying a big gain. THEN, they would have had a free play.

pags11

gentlemen,

I believe the rules state that the game can't end on a defensive penalty to end the quarter or half, regardless of whether a penalty is accepted or declined...I could be wrong, but I believe this is why Phil Bennett was so pissed...an example of this would be a team throwing a long bomb at the end of a half, the defense gets a P.I. call on them but the offensive player catches the ball near the goal line...the offensive team would then be allowed to decline the P.I. call, take the catch and then attempt a FG goal (one untimed down)...anyone know how to find this in the NCAA rule book?...
    Last edited by pags11; 10-03-07 at 09:44 PM.

Hemlock21
    Hemlock21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 606

There was 2 secs left. I watched the entire game and boy was it awful. C-USA and Sun Belt have been cash cows all year for me. SMU coach was pissed but it didn't matter no way they would have made a field goal from that distance

Wolfpack
    Wolfpack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    gentlemen,

I believe the rules state that the game can't end on a defensive penalty to end the quarter or half, regardless of whether a penalty is accepted or declined...I could be wrong, but I believe this is why Phil Bennett was so pissed...an example of this would be a team throwing a long bomb at the end of a half, the defense gets a P.I. call on them but the offensive player catches the ball near the goal line...the offensive team would then be allowed to decline the P.I. call, take the catch and then attempt a FG goal (one untimed down)...anyone know how to find this in the NCAA rule book?...
    Pags, I believe you are right. I'll see if I can find the the official rule.

pags11

hemlock,

I'm glad you saw the play as well...regardless of how little chance they would have had to make a FG, they should have been allowed to run another play (or try a bomb into the end zone)...

wolfpack,

yeah, let us know

Wolfpack
    Wolfpack's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think this is what were looking for. This is a big PDF file.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

The rule is on page 67 under "extension of periods"

Not sure, but I believe this is the rule we are looking for.