BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Early Game Looks. LSU vs North Carolina

I decided to spread these out instead of making one long never ending thread. Today we look at LSU vs North Carolina in Atlanta in 9/4.

This is a critical game for both teams. For LSU, it has been a long two years for LSU Football, having suffered 9 losses during that time. Les Miles has made some of the worst clock management decisions in recent history, and may have cost his team a couple of games. He is definately on the hot seat. Many think that if Rich Rod fails at Michigan, Miles is ready to jump, if asked. That is a lot of baggage for a coach to carry. The fact that LSU loses 7 starters on defense does not help matters either. Last year, the defesne was the hilite of the team, allowing 16 or less points in 7 of their games. The defense will have to reduild in a hurry. The offense returns 6 starters, and aparently have their QB problems solved. This offense had problems scoring gainst quality opposition last season. On top of all this, there is a possible NCAA investigation looming.

North Carolina had major problems putting points on the board last season, and had a disappointing season. The offense does return 8 starters, including QB Yates, but this group must produce this season. This group scored 20 or less points in 6 games last season, and was limited to 12 or less in three of those. The defense was the bright spot for UNC, and returns all but 2 starters. Their LB corps may be the best in the nation. This group held opponents to 17 ppints or less 8 times last season. Butch Davis is looking to take the next step in the ACC.

From a wagering point of view, the under really stands out. LSU will be trying to retool their offense again. North Carolina will be trying to put more points on the board. But the bottom line is that both teams will be trying to win this game, because a loss kills most chances of a visit to the NC game. The UNC defense seems to be the standout unit on both squads, and UNC may play it close to the vest, especially since this is game 1. Look for a possible under play if the number does not drop too low.

Next Up. Purdue at Notre Dame on 9/4.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 04-02-10 at 09:22 AM.

stingray14
    My bookie thinks I'm a PRO
    stingray14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great write up

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

Every game is big, that is what is great about college football.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Nice write up. What would you make the line on this game?

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Excellent analysis. I think LSU will be a bit overrated coming into this season, but I fully expect them to win this game by a touchdown. North Carolina is not in their league yet... but maybe soon. Butch Davis has taken that team to impressive heights

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    Nice write up. What would you make the line on this game?
    I am guessing LSU will be favored in the range of 3 to 4 points. Maybe a bit more considering the SEC's record against the ACC of late.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

I'll be interested to see where it opens. Looking forward to the ND-Purdue write up.

capri5421
    capri5421's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yates at QB, your looking at another 9-5, 8-4 some garbage. They are just missing something, terrible in 09 ATS.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by capri5421 View Post
    Yates at QB, your looking at another 9-5, 8-4 some garbage. They are just missing something, terrible in 09 ATS.
    Actually, UNC was 6-5 ATS, with two games not lined. They started out 1-4, and finished up 5-1. LSU was 6-7 ATS last season.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

i heard a lot of good things about the tar heels today, enough to take them +8000 to win the NC.

babyanni
    babyanni's Avatar Become A Pro!

patrick peterson cant wait to face tj yates

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I have been told that the ACC has encouraged it's members to put extra emphasis on these non-con games in hopes of getting two teams into BCS games. The ACC believes that it will be a very competitve conference this season, with Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, Miami and UNC in the Costal, and Florida State, Clemson, and Boston College in the Atlantic division all fighting it out for division crowns and finally a conference crown. With Va. Tech playing Boise State, Florida State playing at Oklahoma, Miami playing at Ohio State, UNC playing LSU, and Ga. Tech playing at Georgia, the ACC sees a chance to prove itself as one of the top conferences in the FBS, IF they can win these games. The ACC will be dogs in at least 3 of these games and maybe all 5. Four of these games occur in the first two weeks. The only way the ACC can enhance it's image with the voters, thus enhancing it's chances of getting two teams into BCS games is to win there non-con games. The ACC wants two teams in the Top 10, not in the Top 20. They are also none too happy about losing their Gator Bowl spot to the Big 10. Whether or the message gets to the players remains to be seen, but this is the ACC's thinking going into the season.