bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tennessee/Florida... Thoughts???

This game is rather tough to me guys. I'm leaning towards Tennessee +8 in this game.

What do you guys think?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

This one is a no go for me. I will be passing on this game.

VolinArizona
    VolinArizona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

I'm a Tennessee alum, and I advise everybody to steer clear of this game. Unless you know more about Florida after 2 cupcakes than I do, there is no telling how this game goes. The only bet I like is the OVER of WHATEVER number it is.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

This sure doesn't help matters capping this game at all.

Florida WR Caldwell out, RB James to play against Tennessee

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Fifth-ranked Florida will be without receiver Andre Caldwell for Saturday's game against No. 22 Tennessee, however running back Brandon James will play.

Caldwell sprained his medial collateral ligament in Florida's 59-31 win over Troy on Saturday and could be sidelined at least two weeks.

"That's a blow," coach Urban Meyer said Monday. "That's a frontal shot right there."

Caldwell touched the ball eight times for 130 yards and a touchdown in Florida's first two games, averaging 16.3 yards per play. He caught 57 passes for 577 yards and six touchdowns last season. He also ran for a score and threw a touchdown pass.

"It's a tough loss for us," quarterback Tim Tebow said. "He's a great player, a great leader for us and for our receiving corps. Everybody looks up to him. But a great thing about being at the University of Florida is you have guys that can step up and make plays. All those guys will step up."

Meyer didn't have a timetable for Caldwell's return.

"All I'm going to tell you is he's not going to play this week," he said.

The Gators also have other injuries but nothing severe.

Receiver Jarred Fayson injured his left knee in the game, but later returned. Backup safety Bryan Thomas also sprained an MCL. Thomas, a special teams star, is out against the Volunteers.

And Meyer said speedster Percy Harvin now has tendinitis in his knee in addition to the tendinitis in his Achilles tendon that has bothered him the last few weeks.

Harvin was limited in practice last week because of the Achilles tendon problems and was supposed to play sparingly against the Trojans. He will play against Tennessee.

But the Gators (2-0) turned to him after Troy cut a 42-point lead in half. Harvin finished with 56 yards rushing and 42 yards receiving.

Caldwell had one reception for 8 yards, catching a pass on the first play of the third quarter and then fumbling. He also had an 18-yard touchdown run in the first half.

Caldwell, the younger brother of former Florida receiver Reche Caldwell, caught 57 passes for 577 yards and six touchdowns last season.

Without him, Fayson, Cornelius Ingram and Louis Murphy will likely get expanded roles. Ingram caught seven passes for a career-high 105 yards and a touchdown against Troy. Murphy had six receptions for 78 yards.

James was suspended for the opener after pleading no contest last month to a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

He provided a spark for the special teams against Troy, returning one punt 32 yards and returning three kickoffs for 127 yards. He had a 59-yarder that set up a touchdown in the first quarter.

He sprained his ankle in the second half.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

IMO, Florida is overrated. I could see Tenn covering this game.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Agree that picking a side will be difficult.

The over seems like it might be the play here.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

lean to Tenn. here as well...

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Tenn for me as well. 8 points is to many in a SEC showdown.

pags11

good to hear aces...definitely good to hear...

sirwinzalot
    sirwinzalot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I was shocked to see Bookmaker open this game at Florida -11 on Sunday. It shocked me so much I could not pull the trigger. Is there something I am missing? I thought Florida should have been a 7 point favorite. I lean Tennessee as well, and I agree with another poster here that the over seems like the play in this game.

VolinArizona

I was at the Cal game, and watched it again on TIVO. I watched every snap of the Southern Miss game.

Tennessee is vulnerable on defense. Real effing vulnerable. I know the 2nd half against USM was a good defensive outing, but I don't know.

I know these two teams possibly better than anybody on this forum, and I truly have NO idea how it's going to do. Take it for what it's worth.

eglickman
    eglickman's Avatar Become A Pro!

I go to the University of Florida, and I was at their first two games. After going to these games, it is clear that the crowd influences the outcome. The stadium is the loudest in the country, and such often causes the visiting team to makes mistakes. The Florida fans at this game will be going absolutely crazy the whole game (including me..I have tickets). I'm sure it will be heard at least a mile away. Anyway, back to football...I may have bias, but in my opinion, Florida is not overrated. Although they have brought in a mostly freshman defense, the unit seems to be playing better than expected. Tim Tebow has been playing flawlessly (except for the second half of the Troy game, when Florida was up 49-7 and let its guard down). Caldwell may be out, but Florida has plenty of offensive weapons to utilize. I expect some of the Tennessee players to be intimidated by the very loud "Swamp" and as a result make some defensive errors. Tebow will surely exploit this and will pull out his third win in a row this season under Urban Meyer.

My Prediction: Florida 35, Tennessee 24
    Last edited by eglickman; 09-11-07 at 01:52 AM.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

Question... Will Ainge's pinky be healed by gametime or will it still be in a splint?

VolinArizona

Quote Originally Posted by eglickman View Post
    Although they have brought in a mostly freshman defense, the unit seems to be playing better than expected. Tim Tebow has been playing flawlessly (except for the second half of the Troy game, when Florida was up 49-7 and let its guard down). I expect some of the Tennessee players to be intimidated by the very loud "Swamp" and as a result make some defensive errors.
    All points above are laughable. You ARE biased.

1. That young defense has played WKU and Troy. The speed UT will have across the field on offense is stratospheres better than those 2 teams combined. The OL for UT is gelling nicely, as well.

2. Tebow has played Troy and WKU defenses. Of course he looks flawless. Those defenses are nothing compared to an average Tennessee defense.

3. Most of the Vols starting this weekend have played in the Swamp, Death Valley, Tuscaloosa, Athens, etc. We've already had a tough road game across the country.

So the 3 points I quoted you on are invalid. Can Florida win by 11? Absolutely. But you truly can't use Florida's first 2 games as any kind of evidence for capping this game.

VolinArizona

Quote Originally Posted by moneyplays View Post
    Question... Will Ainge's pinky be healed by gametime or will it still be in a splint?
    It hasn't been in a splint. He tapes his pinky to his ring finger. When it first happened, they said it would take 4 weeks to heal, it's been 2. He has zip on his short to intermediate routes, but Tennessee hasn't truly tested a defense downfield yet. However, Ainge in both games has throw nice 25 yard touch passes, so I think it's more Cutcliffe hiding some things.

VolinArizona

By the way, Phil Tratuwein still isn't playing, and when you get Xavier Mitchell, Robert Ayers, and a healthy Ben Martin on the field at DE, that could be a big problem for Tebow.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Tenn playing without db senior, Gaines in this affair. He is an important cog, had a bunch of tackles in the Tenn/Calif game.

However, Teebow is playing full time for the first time against an angry SEC conference foe. Not convinced he can handle that pressure for the entire game without making mistakes.

Also, Flo returns only a few starters on defense. Should be a high scoring game. But, I like Tenn with the points and I think I will even play them on the ML>

eglickman

Quote Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post
    All points above are laughable. You ARE biased.

1. That young defense has played WKU and Troy. The speed UT will have across the field on offense is stratospheres better than those 2 teams combined. The OL for UT is gelling nicely, as well.

2. Tebow has played Troy and WKU defenses. Of course he looks flawless. Those defenses are nothing compared to an average Tennessee defense.

3. Most of the Vols starting this weekend have played in the Swamp, Death Valley, Tuscaloosa, Athens, etc. We've already had a tough road game across the country.

So the 3 points I quoted you on are invalid. Can Florida win by 11? Absolutely. But you truly can't use Florida's first 2 games as any kind of evidence for capping this game.
    You make a good point; WKU and Troy are mediocre teams. Still, I stand by my prediction. Florida is a better team right now than Tennessee and is playing at home. It should cover.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

To all that like the over,remember the big SEC showdowns are normally defensive games. Last 2 in the swamp were 16-7 and 24-10.

VolinArizona

Neither defense of either team were as bad/young as the 2 this Saturday. Florida had an amazing defense and below average offense last year and the game hit 41.

VolinArizona

Quote Originally Posted by eglickman View Post
    . Florida is a better team right now than Tennessee.
    And what I'm saying is that this statement is baseless.

VolinArizona

Oh, and while trends are only small pieces of evidence in capping, the favorite is 1-6 ATS in the last 7 in this series.

eglickman

We'll talk more after the game.

VolinArizona

The outcome is of no matter. The decision process is what we're discussing. I'm talking about handicapping, you're not.

pokernut9999

Quote Originally Posted by VolinArizona View Post
    Oh, and while trends are only small pieces of evidence in capping, the favorite is 1-6 ATS in the last 7 in this series.
    And what was the over and under in those 8 games?

VolinArizona

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    And what was the over and under in those 8 games?
    In those 7 games, 3 overs and 4 unders.

They are forecasting thunderstorms in Gainesville all week, including Saturday, so that leans to the under, as well as what you've brought up in this thread.

Might keep me from betting the total at all.

pokernut9999

thanks for the info. I only have the last 5 years .

IWishIWasRich
    IWishIWasRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tennessee +8 but I will just be watching this one. Florida is so quick in scoring (I know they have been playing cupcake teams) that they might just overwhelm the Vols. I hope not.

Skankdog
    Skankdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the +8 bigboy, just too many athletes and I think those young WRs have enought reps to make things happen in this game for Tennessee.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I will stay away from the game as I will not lay 8 points in a tough SEC game, but I don't think Tennessee has enough speed in the defensive backfield to match up with Florida (or atleast they haven't shown me the speed in the first two games of the year).

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Tenn has already played 2 high quality opponents, gone on the road once and features the better and seasoned of the 2 QBs. Consider this a big revenge game, and FLA has only 2 returning starters on defense. I'll take my chances with Tenn +8 here.

VolinArizona

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Tenn playing without db senior, Gaines in this affair. He is an important cog, had a bunch of tackles in the Tenn/Calif game.

However, Teebow is playing full time for the first time against an angry SEC conference foe. Not convinced he can handle that pressure for the entire game without making mistakes.

Also, Flo returns only a few starters on defense. Should be a high scoring game. But, I like Tenn with the points and I think I will even play them on the ML>
    I don't know how I missed this. You're going to have to trust me - Gaines was not an important cog.

pags11

I like your style buddybear...

I was a bit concerned when I saw that the Tennessee corner is going to be out for this one, but am staying with the play...

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

I lean towards tennessee and the points at this point, however I don't trust the coach to win the big games. The play may be the second half total over. I can see the tennessee's defense wearing down in the second half.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

lots of Vols backers here, i'm in the minority i guess, i think the gators role here, thats who i'm playing.

12 Last