bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oregon State's Stroughter expects to play at Cincy

In case you guys might have missed this one heres the scoop.

Receiver Stroughter expects to return for game at Cincinnati

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Receiver Sammie Stroughter expects to return to the field for Oregon State in Thursday night's game at Cincinnati.

Stroughter made the trip with the team to Cincinnati and will dress for the game.

Stroughter, who took a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons early in fall camp, was at one point questionable for the entire season.

But Stroughter unexpectedly returned to practice just before the start of the season and was at the opener last weekend on the sidelines -- wearing his jersey but no pads.

He was practicing with the regular offense on Sunday after working out with the scout team.

"It's conceivable he could play," coach Mike Riley told reporters on Monday.

However, Riley also said that the issue must be carefully considered by Stroughter and his family.

During his 18-day absence from the team, Stroughter issued a statement through the university saying that he was grieving the deaths of two family members and longtime Beavers assistant Jim Gilstrap.

"These losses have taken my entire family by storm and the grief from these incidents has affected each one of us differently. It has been the decision of my immediate family and I that I take whatever time needed to get over what I am personally experiencing due to the sudden changes in my life," he said.

Riley has asked reporters to give Stroughter his privacy.

Stroughter, a third-team All-America selection last year, caught 79 passes for 1,293 yards last season. He scored eight touchdowns, three of them on punt returns.

Yvenson Bernard said it was great just having Stroughter back at practice.

"One of the first plays he made in practice was a crazy catch," Bernard said. "It's good to have him out there and I think everyone enjoys his company."

The Beavers opened their season last Thursday night with a 24-7 victory at home against Utah, testing the arms of a competing sophomore QBs Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao. Riley said he'll start Canfield against Cincinnati but also play Moevao against the Bearcats.

Bernard ran for 165 yards and two touchdowns against the Utes.

Cincinnati beat Southeast Missouri State 59-3 on Saturday in the debut of coach Brian Kelly's new "Cat Attack" offense. Quarterback Ben Mauk, who missed nearly all of last season with injuries, completed 18-of-27 passes for 244 yards and two touchdowns.

"I think this story is going to be a good story," Riley said. "Now, when the rest of the story starts, it might be Thursday, it might be next year, it could be anywhere in between."

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

appreciate it dan...also important to note that back-up RB Polk may be declared eligible in time for this game as well...