rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

NCAA Week 2 plays

YTD: 4-1, +6.00

4* Michigan -6.5: Talk about value. Had UM done what was expected against App. St, they’d be laying close to 2 TD’s here.

Oregon will inevitably put some points on the board here, as their offense poses the same problem that has haunted the Wolverines’ in years past – speed, primarily at the QB position. This has been a problem for UM’s defense dating back to the ’04 season when Vince Young tortured them to the tune of 192 yards on the ground and 4 scores in the Rose Bowl. Previous seasons have also seen the likes of OSU’s Troy Smith, MSU’s Drew Stanton and last week App. State’s Armanti Edwards torture UM’s defense with their athleticism and mobility. I fully expect Oregon and speedy QB Dennis Dixon to have success running the ball early on. However, once UM’s defense adjusts and puts 8 men in the box to counter OU’s rushing attack, forcing Dixon to beat them through the air, I see the Duck’s offense becoming far less effective, as Dixon lacks the ability and accuracy throwing the ball that the aforementioned QB’s possess.

On the other side of the ball, I don’t anticipate UM having any difficulty moving the ball against the Ducks’ defense. Lost in last week’s debacle was the fact that Mike Hart rushed for 188 yards and 3 scores, all while missing almost 2 Q’s of action while nursing a thigh injury. Against an Oregon D’ fresh off allowing 310 rushing yards to Houston, expect a determined Hart, the heart of this Michigan squad, to get the ball early and often.

UM hasn’t lost consecutive games at the Big House in the same season since ’94. With a largely senior-laden team that will come out looking to redeem itself and salvage their season after such a disappointing and embarrassing loss, I anticipate Michigan bouncing back in a big way Saturday afternoon.

Will add more plays throughout the week.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm gonna pass on this game man. I agree with you on value, just not sure how UM responds here. They could take that loss out on Oregon.

nevadaside
    nevadaside's Avatar Become A Pro!

The skillz are there.......& this week the focus "WILL" be there too. Plus, Loyd does not want to get lynched.
    GL rjt,
    I'll be rollin on this as long as I can get -6.5 or better up here.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought I'd be the only nut that liked Michigan in that game.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

I haven't yet looked at week 2 in college just yet, but good luck with that Michigan play. I will soon find out if I will be playing either side of that game, or just passing on it.

You would think Michigan will come out with something to prove and run it up on Oregon.

rjt721

3* UCLA -6.5: This line would have been more accurate had this game been played last year. As is, BYU is getting too much respect here based on their outstanding ’06 season. The problem is that this is a completely different BYU squad, particularly on the offensive side of the ball where, excluding the offensive line, which is still quite good, they lost virtually every key member at the skill positions. Cougars QB Max Hall looked impressive in his first college start against a solid Arizona defense, but asking him to perform well in his first start on the road against the Bruins’ ultra-athletic front seven, by far the best defense BYU will encounter this season, is an entirely different matter.

On the flip side, BYU’s defense, the strength of the team, will face a far steeper challenge against the Bruins than AU’s inept offense posed last week. Ben Olsen was extremely sharp against Stanford, completing 16/29 for 286 and 5 scores. Granted, Stanford is far from a power in the Pac 10, but all indications throughout spring practice and leading up to this season were that Olsen was finally poised to live up to his vast potential, and he did nothing to discredit that notion against the Cardinal.

I expect BYU to be a solid team in conference play, one that improves as the season progresses and Hall gets more experience. However, asking them to stay within a TD in the Rose Bowl against a UCLA squad with aspirations of dethroning USC and Cal in the Pac 10 is too much to ask. BYU keeps this one close early, but the Bruins pull away in the second half and win by double digits.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    3* UCLA -6.5: This line would have been more accurate had this game been played last year. As is, BYU is getting too much respect here based on their outstanding ’06 season. The problem is that this is a completely different BYU squad, particularly on the offensive side of the ball where, excluding the offensive line, which is still quite good, they lost virtually every key member at the skill positions. Cougars QB Max Hall looked impressive in his first college start against a solid Arizona defense, but asking him to perform well in his first start on the road against the Bruins’ ultra-athletic front seven, by far the best defense BYU will encounter this season, is an entirely different matter.

On the flip side, BYU’s defense, the strength of the team, will face a far steeper challenge against the Bruins than AU’s inept offense posed last week. Ben Olsen was extremely sharp against Stanford, completing 16/29 for 286 and 5 scores. Granted, Stanford is far from a power in the Pac 10, but all indications throughout spring practice and leading up to this season were that Olsen was finally poised to live up to his vast potential, and he did nothing to discredit that notion against the Cardinal.

I expect BYU to be a solid team in conference play, one that improves as the season progresses and Hall gets more experience. However, asking them to stay within a TD in the Rose Bowl against a UCLA squad with aspirations of dethroning USC and Cal in the Pac 10 is too much to ask. BYU keeps this one close early, but the Bruins pull away in the second half and win by double digits.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

with you on Michigan rtj...

rjt721

3* Arizona State -14 (-105): Few teams were more impressive in week 1 than the Sun Devils, who dismantled a capable San Jose State team that is superior in many areas to Colorado. Dennis Erickson is the best thing that ever happened to Rudy Carpenter, and I don’t feel ASU is getting enough respect with this line against a rebuilding CU program, lead by a freshman QB, that is at least a year away from being a consistently competitive team.

1* Colorado State +14.5: Mostly a situational play. Cal predictably played great in their nationally televised rematch with UT, but flying 1500 miles to take on a CSU team that is notoriously tough at home is a difficult spot. Tedford’s boys have never fared particularly well on the road, and against a Rams’ attack that will look to control the ball and keep Cal’s potent offense off the field, I like CSU’s chances of staying within the number.

rjt721

Adding:

1* Miami (FL) Team Total UNDER 16.5 (-115)

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Here is what I got so far RJT, if it matters.

Northwestern -9
    Minnesota -9
    UCLA -7
    New Mexico -7

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post

Northwestern -9
    Minnesota -9
    UCLA -7
    New Mexico -7
    No, it doesn't matter, looker.

Obviously I like UCLA, and I tend to agree with that Northwestern play.

As always, good luck.

pags11

agree with you on CSU...however, if you look closer at the SJSU box score vs. ASU, you will see that their star RB had one carry (sprained his ankle on the first play)...CU is actually a very capable squad and I've watched Hawkins kid...he's the best freshman QB I've seen so far this season...

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    agree with you on CSU...however, if you look closer at the SJSU box score vs. ASU, you will see that their star RB had one carry (sprained his ankle on the first play)...CU is actually a very capable squad and I've watched Hawkins kid...he's the best freshman QB I've seen so far this season...
    High praise for Hawkins. I think Jake Locker is the best freshman QB, but no doubt Hawkins is impressive. My ASU play is more a reflection of how good I think the Sun Devils are, and not so much how I perceive CU. I'd also be leery of backing a frosh QB in his first career start on the road.

GL pags.

Adding:

1* BYU/UCLA Under 47

pags11

rtj,

I'll concede that Locker's the better athlete of the two, but I'm talking the whole package of being a QB...time will tell I guess...GL bud...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post

Northwestern -9
    Minnesota -9
    UCLA -7
    New Mexico -7
    Add Indiana/Western Michigan UNDER 60 to that.

Good luck with all your plays RJT.

rjt721

5-1, +4.6

Ytd: 9-2, +10.6
    Last edited by rjt721; 09-09-07 at 01:14 AM.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Very nice today RJT.

Hot start to the season, keep it up bud.

rjt721

Thanks looker.

Good luck to you the rest of the season.