austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

So what did we learn Week 1 NCAA?

I don't see a clear cut dominant team. Seems as if a little more parity in the league, but again its only week 1.

• App St wins in the Big House
    • Texas only bets lowly Ark St by 8
    • Mizzou manages to let Illinois make a game
    • OU beats the ever loving shit out of North Texas
    • ND looked simply lifeless
    • Va Tech struggled at home

...I could go on, but you get the picture

As a handicapper what makes you worth your weight in salt is being able to determine what actually matters.

• Was Texas completely looking ahead to TCU?
    • Va Tech too wrapped up in the emotion to execute?
    • Is ND really that bad?

Discuss.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't learn this one, because I already knew it. Lloyd Carr should have been fired a few years ago.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

A couple thoughts:

- I think Auburn will be a great fade much of the year, especially when laying pts. Their offense is just brutal, and they didn't even deserve to beat a mediocre KSU team. Things will only get worse for the Tigers when SEC play begins.

- Does anyone give 2 shlts about the ND/UM game after today? I never thought I'd say that, but who cares after watching both play this afternoon.

- Arizona's offense is still terrible.

- DeSean's Jackson's unreal.

- As good as Cal's offense is, their defense isn't good enough to match up with SC.

- Arizona State wins 10 games this year.

- First team to 10 in the VT/LSU game will win.

austintx05

i agree with point 3 and 5...i have yet to look at az st's schedule....

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

Add Philip Fulmer to that list. I think they both might be gone after this season. Tennessee's defensive performance tonight was atrocious.

Plus, Fulmer punts on 4th and 17 from his own 17 with 1:40 left down 45-31. What, you jerk, you didn't want to let them score 50?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I didn't learn this one, because I already knew it. Lloyd Carr should have been fired a few years ago.

austintx05

never been a fulmer fan, plus it was just a bad spot for Tenn here...but Ainge was still impressive

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Plus, Fulmer punts on 4th and 17 from his own 17 with 1:40 left down 45-31. What, you jerk, you didn't want to let them score 50?
    Completely agree. The outcome of the game wasn't even entirely decided at that point. Obviously, it would have taken a miracle, but you're only down 2 scores. You pick up the first down, maybe break a big play for a score and you're only down 7. Then you recover the onside kick, who knows what happens? Sure, a comeback is beyond unlikely, but why punt? If UT doesn't convert on 4th down, Longshore would have just taken a knee....Tedford wouldn't have tried to put another in the endzone.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I learned (once again) not to bet an Art Briles coached footbal team...also, I learned Wake just isnt the same as they were defensively last year...oh yeah, and I agree that Deshawn Jackson is unreal...

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

my only loss of the day was taking Michigan. that game was just horrible, i don't care how good of a division 2 school they are, if you want to make a case as a national champ you should destroy any div-2 school. Michigans shot at a title are gone now.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

1. Tenn's O-line is solid. Ainge looked impressive even with a broken pinky and what appeared to be slow receivers. I see them coming through in a big way soon. Lets see what the line is. I don't really see them going 1-2 but hopefully they will get points.

2. Cal's defense is soft. Their safety could of had a couple INT's but looked lost. Their blitz looked good.

3. DeSean Jackson is F'n sick. I loved watching him.

4. ND still sucks and is overrated. It's going to be along season for Mr. Weiss and oh yeah, he's not a genius.

5. VA Tech's o-line is garbage. I saw Glennon get hit on almost every time he dropped back to throw. They weren't creating holes for the running game. Their defense still looks ok though. They are going to get absolutely smashed by LSU. No way to prepare for them in 6 days and they are just not ready plain and simple.

6. Lloydd Carr stayed a season too long. App had more turnovers than michigan and still pulled off the upset. Mich's defense lost 7 starters and gave up 350+ yards. Upcoming games: Oregon, ND, Penn State... HRM?!?! Do you smell a 1-4? I don't see them pulling off anything better than a 2-3. They will beat ND.

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

[*] App St wins in the Big House[*] Texas only bets lowly Ark St by 8[*] Mizzou manages to let Illinois make a game[*] OU beats the ever loving shit out of North Texas[*] ND looked simply lifeless[*] Va Tech struggled at home

As a handicapper what makes you worth your weight in salt is being able to determine what actually matters.
    [*]Was Texas completely looking ahead to TCU?[*] Va Tech too wrapped up in the emotion to execute?[*] Is ND really that bad?[/LIST]
    App St. is a very good team, did anyone really think they would pull the upset - NO But, lots of people thought they would hang in there.

Mizz. Hey I loved Mizz. when I first saw the line, but after futher review ILL will be tough this year and it being a close game came no surprise.

ND They have pretty much been lifeless for years.

VaTech. Way to many points to give to a good team like ECU.
    Plus the emotion and it being the first game of the season. Look for VaTech to play a much better second game.

Texas- No, they are really going to be that bad this year, way over ranked.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

drftrader
    drftrader's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Add Philip Fulmer to that list. I think they both might be gone after this season. Tennessee's defensive performance tonight was atrocious.

Phil has a high winning %, but has never been able to take us to the next level( yes I'm from Knoxville). He has never seemed to have the defensive mentallty, where you just hammer your opponent. There were a few bright spots, but overall a poor game for Tennessee. Defensive never got into Cal's face. We just looked slow on both sides. Tennessee fans always have hope though.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    I learned (once again) not to bet an Art Briles coached footbal team...also, I learned Wake just isnt the same as they were defensively last year...oh yeah, and I agree that Deshawn Jackson is unreal...

Pags: WF probably isn't as good as last year, but maybe a little bit of that is BC has a better than expected O and I knew they would be good.

First year in a long time that I didn't see at least 3 or 4 teams that I thought might dominate. Top 5 might change a dozen times this year. Of course, we don't really know how good some teams are. Teams that destroyed weak teams like P State??? Maybe their QB finally lives up to all the HS hype.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I learned that even with a true freshman QB against a team that many are predicting to win the Big 12 North that Illinois looks to be a pretty good team and that this backup may actually be better than Juice Williams.

I learned that Cal is just as physical as they were last year when they steam rolled TXAM in the Holiday Bowl.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    I learned that even with a true freshman QB against a team that many are predicting to win the Big 12 North that Illinois looks to be a pretty good team and that this backup may actually be better than Juice Williams.

I learned that Cal is just as physical as they were last year when they steam rolled TXAM in the Holiday Bowl.
    Buddy

Yes, I agree Ill is an improved team. When you fumble at the goal and that becomes a td for the other team and you still make a game out of it that shows some spirit.

Cal has offense buddy, but I don't think enough D to stop a
    determined USC. But you never know.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

• Is ND really that bad?
    To answer the questions above, I would offer the following:

-I did not watch the Texas game but saw a lot of TCU. I would say that both teams were not giving away too much yesterday. The Texas/TCU game could be a helluva game. I realize Baylor isn't much but to shut them out is still pretty impressive. I do believe Texas was looking ahead to TCU and we will all see a different Texas team next week....a much better Texas team. Having said that, I'm not so sure, at this point, that TCU isn't every bit as good as Texas is.

-Va Tech looked to be rusty. I understand that this was an emotional game, however, I think, after the 1st quarter, the emotions wear off and there comes a point where you have to react and hit people in the teeth. Personally, I think it will be a good thing for Va Tech to go in the road in the most hostile environment in the nation. It redirects their focus where it should be....on the game. I haven't looked at any lines yet but there will probably be an overreaction reflected in the line due to the blowout LSU handed Miss. St. I suspect Va Tech might win this game outright.

-I suspect ND will struggle all of September. However, I think, as time progresses, they will get better. Indecision at QB filters down throughout the team. To me, it is clear that Weis' 3-ring circus at QB and not naming the starter has completely backfired. A Jedi mindtrick like this only works if your team can handle the questions fired back at your own team. Clearly, ND can't handle that type of circus. Weis should name the QB next week early to avoid that crap. I suspect Penn State will hand ND their ass in a hat next week. I haven't seen a line yet but, as of this writing, I believe Penn St. should cruise.

E

toastedbread01
    toastedbread01's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fau could push OSU
    Temple is probally a lot better than last year

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
    • Is ND really that bad?
    1. Possibly. But I'm not as hyped for Texas as a lot of people. I'm not sure that Colt is the second coming.
    2. Probably. But if they don't get a running game and better play from their QB, they'll get their butts kicked by LSU this Saturday night.
    3. YES! It's going to be a long season for the Golden Domers.
    Last edited by Doc JS; 09-02-07 at 12:24 PM.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Cal has a sick offense

ND is horrible and will be an under .500 team

Weis is overrated and from what I've seen recently a pretty bad IN-GAME coach.

Although Florida and LSU lost key players to the draft they are still solid as ever.

Michigan is a fraud

Auburn has zero offense (kinda knew that with Cox at the helm)

Minnesota sucks.

UCLA is going to be very good.

WSU has a horrible defense and might give up 60+ to Pac-10 stellar offenses.

Oklahoma is going to be a menace this season.

Syracuse sucks

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    WF probably isn't as good as last year, but maybe a little bit of that is BC has a better than expected O and I knew they would be good.
    Jagodzinski's spread offense is a perfect fit for this BC team. The Eagles would not have won yesterday's game with O'Brien as the coach. That's not a knock at all on O'Brien, because as I said in my writeup, he's a terrific coach and will be missed in the long run. But with all the weapons on this offense, his conservative ways held this team back. With Jags opening things up, BC will put up points on everyone in the ACC.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    Cal has a sick offense

ND is horrible and will be an under .500 team

Weis is overrated and from what I've seen recently a pretty bad IN-GAME coach.

Although Florida and LSU lost key players to the draft they are still solid as ever.

Michigan is a fraud

Auburn has zero offense (kinda knew that with Cox at the helm)

Minnesota sucks.

UCLA is going to be very good.

WSU has a horrible defense and might give up 60+ to Pac-10 stellar offenses.

Oklahoma is going to be a menace this season.

Syracuse sucks

Can't dispute any except maybe a little with number 1.

An ESPN announcer came right out on TV the other day and said Weis is a bad coach. I couldn't believe it, he pulled no punches. Yes bad coach and bad team.

Might add the Temple wins some games this year
    and Ill might surprise some teams.

austintx05

good stuff here guys...appreciate the input

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think Texas was looking ahead to TCU (my alma mater by the way) ... I just think they laid a clunker. McCoy did not play well and if he doesn't, that doesn't bode well for UT. That being said, I kinda hope this clunker pushes the line down for the TCU-UT game because I still think the Horns are the superior team and if the line is 10 or less, I lean to them for that game. If TCU gets more than two TDs (unlikely), I'd be on them.

ND is definitely going to be horrible this season.

OU won't be as good as they looked against an over matched team. But should be contending for the Big 12 title.

Va.Tech should get better each week. I think alot was put on them with all the extraneous stuff that came with the Week 1 ceremony, etc. Now they've got that out of the way and can concentrate on football.

btwizzy
    btwizzy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some very good posts in this thread, and I agree Lloyd Carr will not be the Coach at Michigan next year.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Play over Big 10 & 12 play under SEC & ACC.