pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pags' Plays

Hello board,

Here are my plays for the week:

Nebraska -19.5

Sam Keller makes his debut as the starting QB for Nebraska this week. Those of you that don't remember him from ASU, be prepared to watch some fireworks. In the first half of the 2005 season, I thought Keller was as impressive of a QB as there was in the nation. He has the arm to make all of the throws and has a lot of pocket presence to lead his team. Nebraska returns most of their receiving corps, led by the often troubled Maurice Purify. They are loaded at the RB position and their offensive line should be able to wear Nevada down in this one, especially with Nevada's best defensive player, Ezra Butler, being out. On the defensive side of the ball, Nevada will attack Nevada QB Graziano, who will be making his first ever division one start. Nebraska should contain the Nevada running game in this one as well. It will be interesting to see how Nevada does with their third string center starting the game, which is an important position in the "pistol" offense. Should be a descent game the first half with Nebraska pulling away in the second half.

Wake Forest +6.5

I just don't understand all the talk I hear about how Wake Forest had success last year with smoke and mirrors. I watched at least nine of their games last year, and what I see from them is a very disciplined, well coached football team. Jim Grobe has done as good of a job as any coach in the country building his program. I think what was most impressive about their run last year was how they dealt with injuries. This is a deeper team than most people think. Everyone is talking about Matt Ryan in this one, and don't get me wrong, he's a fine quarterback. However, I feel QB Riley Skinner is a perfect fit in the Wake Forest offense and is as equally impressive as Ryan is. The difference being, though, that he has more weapons to work with. Defensively, Wake is as good of a tackling team out there in the country. What they lack in athleticsm, they make up for in smartness and technique. I think the other important thing to note is the fact that Jim O'Brien won't be on the sidelines for B.C. this week. He is also one of the better coaches in the country, but is now at N.C. State. I see a hard fought battle in this one that is anyone's game.

Texas -37.5

You won't see me laying this kind of chalk anytime in the near future, but I had to bite on this one. Mack Brown has made a habit of drilling his week one opponents. Brown, much like Les Miles at LSU, is very much a bully vs. inferior opponents. He will take every opportunity to put it on Arkansas St. here. Arkansas St. is an alright Sun Belt team (I mean besides Troy, there's not much difference between the 2nd and 7th place teams in the Sun Belt), but it could get very ugly on Saturday. QB Colt McCoy has had all summer to work on his game and I anticipate him coming out gunning this week. Look for Texas to keep their foot on the gas in this one well into the fourth quarter.

Troy +26

Those of you that have gotten to watch Troy play can appreciate how hard this team plays each week. They are a team that since their inception into Division One has played tough opponents on the road year after year. There's no change this year as their non-conference schedule is again loaded. This is a good spot for them though, catching them in their first game vs. a one dimensional SEC opponent who has to replace a lot on defense. It's important to note that Arkansas will be without leading receiver Marcus Monk. Troy has a lot of team speed and should be able to keep up with Arkansas in this one. They return 8 starters from a defense that defended the run pretty well last year. On offense they return 3key skill position guys, QB Haugobook, RB Catthouse and WR Banks. It's been well documented that Troy played very well at FSU last year, and also well for three quarters vs. Georgia Tech the next week. I look for Troy to give Arkansas a real battle here.

Cal -5.5

This is a good spot for the Cal team as they get Tennessee to travel out west in week one. Cal comes into the game loaded on both sides of the ball. They are led by RB Justin Forsett, who is one of the top RB's in the Pac 10. Their receiving corps are led by electrifying playmaker Deshawn Jackson. Robert Jordan and Lavelle Hawkins round out the trio. Cal also has an excellent TE in Craig Stevens. Tennessee comes into the game banged up. One of their top two RB's, Lamarcus Coker, won't be available due to him missing fall camp to a suspension. Their starting QB, Erik Ainge, will attempt to play with a broken pinky finger, which could make things difficult for the Tennesee offense. This is more of a situational play for me more than anything else, as I think Cal is out to make a statement that they are a national title contender. I'm expecting a great effort from the Bears here.

Houston +15.5

Houston has quietly become a pretty impressive program over the last four years. Art Briles has built himself a physical team with also a lot of team speed. They come into this game off two straight bowl appearances vs. an Oregon team that finished last season reeling. RB Anthony Aldridge is extremely underrated and other than Matt Jones a couple of years ago, is the only player I've ever seen average ten yards per carry (on a significant number of carries). Much has been made about Oregon's home field advantage in this one. However, I think if you really look at Oregon's home field record the last three years, you will see that they have had some chinks in their armor. Over two TD's is a lot of points in my opinion in this one in a game that I could see very close to the end.

Georgia -7

Georgia played as well as any team in the country the last third of the season and is an extremely physical team on both sides of the ball. Again, I think this is a tough trip for Oklahoma St. here. Going down to Athens in the summer heat is no easy task, especially for a team like OSU that has so many problems on the defensive side of the ball. Another key factor in this one is that Mike Bobo will now be calling the plays for Georgia (as he did in the bowl game). He appears to be a more innovative playcaller than Richt was previously, which should help open up their offense. OSU has weapons on offense, no doubt, but Bowman and Reid can't play defense too. I see Georgia wearing them down in the second half and pulling away.

Good luck to all.

pags11
    Last edited by pags11; 08-30-07 at 11:52 PM.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I'm going to track your record for you bud..

1-0 +1.00 Units.

tullamore
    tullamore's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pags, nice writeups, I look forward to reading more over the course of the season. I am with you on Texas already.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Only against you on one, and you already know it. I hate to wish bad luck to anyone, but I hope you don't cover that Wake Forest bet.

Sweep the others though.

Good luck Pags.

pags11

imgv,

I'll have to send you my unit sizes each week to properly track it, but that can be arranged...thanks bro...

tullamore,

good to hear you are on Texas...thanks for the kind words...

pags11

onlooker,

don't bring that bad karma on yourself brother...lol...GL to you anyway on the Wake game...

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I am the opposite of onlooker, as Wake Forest is your only play that I am on also. I did not play any of your other games at all.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    I'm going to track your record for you bud..

1-0 +1.00 Units.
    What was his first winning pick?

pags11

LSU -16.5...you didn't read the 4 or so threads where I commented on the game onlooker?...I never post my week day plays in Pag's Plays, just part of my superstitions...

imgv94

He was on LSU -16.5

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    LSU -16.5...you didn't read the 4 or so threads where I commented on the game onlooker?...I never post my week day plays in Pag's Plays, just part of my superstitions...
    Yes, after I posted that I remembered the other thread. I was trying to find it in this thread.

pags11

LT profits,

good to hear you are on Wake Forest...thanks for your contributions as a real poster to the forum this year...GL this weekend...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

If the Beavers can hold on to this lead, I will be 1-0 this season myself.

shrax4
    shrax4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks Pags, with you on all but Wake Forest and Georgia.

imgv94

imgv,

I'll have to send you my unit sizes each week to properly track it, but that can be arranged...thanks bro...
    That will be easy considering we talk on the phone all the time.

pags11

ok, just wanted to make sure you knew it was documented

OSU's getting the ball back with 10:54 left onlooker...time to grind away with Benard...GL the rest of the way...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

ok, just wanted to make sure you knew it was documented
    I wasn't doubting, just asking.

pags11

absolutely my brother...

pags11

no problem onlooker...

imgv94

pags we going all one unit this week right?

pags11

imgv,

tonights game was for a half unit, then Saturday's are all one unit...will update you as to the increased units next week...

imgv94

imgv,

tonights game was for a half unit, then Saturday's are all one unit...will update you as to the increased units next week...
    I appreciate the honesty bro..

I had no idea what you had on tonight's game, you could of easily said one "FULL" unit..

1-0 +0.50 Units.

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

You know I love the Georgia game. Cal as well. GL Pags.

pags11

imgv,

no sweat...thanks...

aces,

appreciate it bro...good to hear we are on a couple of games together...

GitRDone
    GitRDone's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL pags, looking forward to reading your analysis of your picks. I am with you on Troy (didn't play the rest). Best of luck this season.

GitRDone

pags11

thanks very much gitrdone...good to have you on board on the Troy play...

sean68
    sean68's Avatar Become A Pro!

First time poster here. I have been looking at the thread for a couple of days and I have been very impressed with the high level of football knowledge.
    GL pags...I definetly agree with you on Neb, TX, Cal, and Hou and I am playing those as well.
    Gl to all...Thank god football is back!!

Negataur
    Negataur's Avatar Become A Pro!

pags11,

With you on GA, HOU, Cal, and TX. Wasn't considering NEB, but will look into it. I firmly believe that TENN is in big trouble this year, and this was before the QB troubles.

GL to ALL.

r2d2
    r2d2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

likin cal after the man rape they received at rocky top last year. like the georgia and husker plays also. lets go get em.

ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL on your picks, neat writeups.

With you on Cal, against on wake

pags11

sean,

I try, just have watched a lot of college football for a long time...welcome to SBR...

negataur,

good to hear we are on so many games together...interesting comments about the Tennessee program, can't say I disagree...

r2d2,

good to have you around again this year...GL on your card as well...

ritehook,

at least we are only against eachother on one...BOL...

cashflow50
    cashflow50's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

With you on Cal and Georgia. BOL to you!!

TheGambler
    TheGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I've been waiting all year to see the thread called "Pags Plays". This site definitely has some excellent handicappers and I consider him one of the finest. I myself, I only tend to look at a few games each week but this guy definitely puts some time into it and provides great writeups. I remember last year I would look at his picks and then share them with buddies at work. He started off hot last year and my buddies were wondering who the hell this Pags guy is! I have a notion to play each of the plays just b/c i know where they came from. Pags, do you have your overall record from last year? I would be curious to see how many units you were up. Keep up the good work and yes, I felt like a degenerate leaving a post about the strong play on Kent St last night but that was one of the games I have been looking at for weeks and absolutely loved it.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi Pags,

Anyway you can bold the game you feel most confident about? That's a lot of games. What is your betting strat? You bet the amount for all of em?

White_Tiger
    White_Tiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

All the play the same as 1 unit Mr. Pags? Or you might play some 2 or 3 units game if you don't mind I ask.
    Also BOL to you.

12 Last