bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Beavers receiver Stroughter returns after leave of absence

This sure does add a little bit of value for OSU in week 1.

Beavers receiver Stroughter returns after leave of absence

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Sammie Stroughter surprised his Oregon State teammates by showing up at practice Saturday, four days after it was announced he would take a leave of absence from the team.

The senior wide receiver was in pads and joined his teammates in drills at the Beavers' afternoon practice.

He had announced Wednesday in a statement released by the university that he was dealing with grief after the deaths of two family members and longtime Beavers assistant Jim Gilstrap.

Stroughter, a third-team All-America selection last year, had last attended practice on Aug. 7.

Oregon State coach Mike Riley said Stroughter's full return to the team was still undetermined and that he was just "testing the water."

"It was Sammie's choice today," Riley said in a statement released by the school. "He just showed up, got his gear on and came out. That's really what happened. There is no real word about it. He came out and practiced and is just having fun. "

"We visited this morning; we talked about a longer-range plan, but really it will end up being a personal choice for Sammie," he said. "The statement that he made was pretty clear that it was a personal choice."

The Beavers open their season Thursday night at home against Utah.

Stroughter caught 79 passes for 1,293 yards last season. He scored eight touchdowns, three of them on punt returns.

dodif
    dodif's Avatar Become A Pro!

:d

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Good to know, this is actually a game I had down to bet. I wonder if he will be playing in the game on Thursday. He is still listed as OUT.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

heard this was due to a death of a family member...I imagine he will play but may not start in Thu.'s opener vs. Utah...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

You think him playing will effect the line?

pags11

onlooker,

what's strange is his abscence didn't seem to affect the line, nor do I think him coming back will...really kind of strange because along with Benard, he's one of OSU's two key offensive players...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I hear you Pags.

They will be my first football play of the year, and I am just trying to decide if I should bet it tomorrow at -6.5. I just feel it will only go up from there.

pags11

onlooker,

I do think this line is a lot more likely to close at 7.5 than it is at 6.5, if that helps you any...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Thanks for the advice Pags, I think you are right.

He is now listed as QUESTIONABLE.

pags11

I'll keep you updated if I hear anything else onlooker...

sirwinzalot
    sirwinzalot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Please keep me updated on this. I see he did return, but it almost sounds like he won't play. I don't know. I am really looking at playing Utah here, but have to at least get 7 and -110 or less. 7.5 would be nice.

pags11

sir, most reports I've read the last 24 hours say he won't play, although one said he still may return kicks...I'll let you know...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I got down on Oregon State today at -6.5. I liked this play before the word Stroughter was back. if he plays, it will be a plus for me.

Thanks for the updates Pags.

pags11

no problem onlooker...GL with your play...I will be on the sidelines, but watching it closely...