bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Huskers name Keller starting QB

What in the hell too Callahan so damn long to announce the obvious.

Huskers name Keller starting QB

08/20/2007 -

LINCOLN, Nebraska (Ticker) - Sam Keller will get the chance at Nebraska that he had taken away from him at Arizona State.

Cornhuskers coach Bill Callahan on Monday named Keller as the starting quarterback for the season opener against Nevada on September 1.

Callahan met with both Keller and junior Joe Ganz on Monday afternoon before making his announcement. No doubt, Keller had been waiting a long time to hear the things Callahan had to say.

Keller transferred to Nebraska from Arizona State last year after a bizarre turn of events in Tempe.

Keller was named MVP of the Sun Bowl after leading the Sun Devils to a comeback victory over Purdue to cap the 2004 season. He started 2005 by throwing for 2,165 yards and 20 touchdowns in the first seven games of the season before a hand injury ended his season.

Named the starter for Arizona State last season, Keller was replaced two days later when then-coach Dirk Koetter changed his mind two days later and went with Rudy Carpenter. Keller transferred to Nebraska soon after Koetter's reversal and Arizona State went a disappointing 7-6 - 4-5 in the Pac-10 - as Carpenter had a sub-par season.

Koetter was fired after a loss to Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl.

Now Keller has a new lease on his football like after impressing Callahan in camp.

"We felt that we had a great evaluation," Callahan said. "We got more plays in than we ever have at this juncture in training camp and we got a lot of film that we've already evaluated. We feel very confident in our decision to announce Sam at this point."

"It's an honor. It's something I've been waiting for a long time," Keller said. "I really haven't changed in my feelings. I owe it to this team, the players and the coaches, to keep competing as hard as ever. I am very honored that I have been given this opportunity to lead the team."

Callahan said Ganz will serve as the backup to Keller, following a competitive battle for the starting position that began last spring.

"There was great competition," Callahan said. "Joe Ganz is a class act, through and through. We appreciate all his efforts. He continues to improve, get better and work hard. He will definitely be our backup quarterback heading into the opener this year."

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

no surprise

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

this guy is absolutely legit...can't wait to see him play again...