MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Brian Kelly to tie Rockne in wins

Did I hear that right? 3 wins away.

Doesn't even seem possible Krlly going to be all time ND coach

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

*Rockne's tenure was not super long. 105-12-5. Died in plane crash, at age 43.

Notre Dame head coach position is a pressure-cooker. Most coaches don't last too long there.

Enikk
    Enikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Interesting. With only 105 you would have thought Lou would have more but after quick look-up he was 100-30-2

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19563

Many more games played today, think it was only nine or ten during Rockne's era.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

My point was, for a team with 122 years of play and remarkable record of only 1 losing season (2016, under Kelly) that there would be a guy in there with like 150 + wins. There's not.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    My point was, for a team with 122 years of play and remarkable record of only 1 losing season (2016, under Kelly) that there would be a guy in there with like 150 + wins. There's not.
    Gerry Faust didn't have a losing season?? Some of Faust's losses should have counted for 2 or 3. He was a terrible coach. Only 1 losing season in 122 years??? Wow.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Means nothing

Nd plays watered down schedule year after year football

Dr. Fager
    Update your status
    Dr. Fager's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7167

If the helmet had fell of earlier, FSU would have won in regulation. Not a particularly good job of coaching last night by the ND head coach/staff. Just kiddin' ND fans, relax they'll be fine. Toledo standby.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Never seen a more over hyped coach and program. Put them in the Big Ten they will lose 3 games every year along with an ass kicking from Ohio State. Put them in the Sec they would be lucky to have winning records.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Never seen a more over hyped coach and program. Put them in the Big Ten they will lose 3 games every year along with an ass kicking from Ohio State. Put them in the Sec they would be lucky to have winning records.
    yes 100%

Roscoe3000
    Roscoe3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

But he surpassed the number of videographers Rockne killed a long time ago.
    Points Awarded:

edawg gave Roscoe3000 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe3000 View Post
    Wow. Almost forgot about that one.

You hit on something. That episode was passed over pretty quickly.

I do remember some interviews about people saying "I wouldn't have been up there on a windy day." Can only wonder what Kelly might have said to persuade him to stay up there.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Some truth to that but you have to put it in the context of the tradition. If you go back to the Rockne/Leahy era, Notre Dame barely lost a game. Avg # losses per year was maybe 1.0 back then.

Add in the history. The titles, the 7 Heisman trophy winners, the link to the Catholic church. The TV contract...no wonder they get the attention.

Still, only one Natl title in 30+ years. Runner-up with Kelly vs Alab. The game that NDame will forever regret is the home loss vs Boston College AFTER the Irish beat FlaSt. Top southern teams NEVER play a late-season cold-weather game, after that one.

Vyasports
    check raise re-raise all-in
    Vyasports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1334

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Did I hear that right? 3 wins away.

Doesn't even seem possible Krlly going to be all time ND coach

Roscoe3000
    Roscoe3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

I cannot find it on the internet anymore, but there was a discussion where one guy who supposedly had ties to the ND program. Pretty much, the story is that Declan (the videographer) had the lift at about goalpost high because of the wind. Allegedly, Kelly yelled something to the effect of calling him a p*ssy and to get the lift higher. I am sure had Declan's parents not been drinking the ND Flavor-Aid, more would have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Wow. Almost forgot about that one.

You hit on something. That episode was passed over pretty quickly.

I do remember some interviews about people saying "I wouldn't have been up there on a windy day." Can only wonder what Kelly might have said to persuade him to stay up there.

ChuckyTheGoat

Very true, Roscoe. Think about it:

*Kelly is very much a hot-blooded Irishman (literally).

Don't need to stretch your imagination much to think that he's capable of verbally berated a video-guy. I mean, what's stopping him? It's not like he's worried about an All-American transferring.

I loved some of the stories from the Lou Holtz era. During team meeting week of Miami game, Holtz said "If you want to fight Miami in the parking lot after the game, that's alright. Just save Jimmy Johnson's ass for me."

Holtz would later say that he couldn't do it at Notre Dame, after the Admissions Office raised their standards. Couldn't get Chris Zorich and Tony Rice into school anymore.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57517

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe3000 View Post
    He also wanted to execute his whole team. I sense a pattern...