BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Big 10 Expansion Just About Set

There now seems to be little doubt that the Big 10 will expand by the summer. According to ESPN and CBS, agreements have been reached with the Big 10 Network, ESPN, and Direct T.V. to guaranteethat existing Big 10 schools make the same amount of T.V. revinue as they are now. This was the major stumbling block for expansion.

Right now, Rutgers is the favorite followed by Missouri and Pitt. Syracuse also has been mentioned, and Notre Dame is still in the dream. Texas is no longer considered a viable option. Also being considered is a larger expansion, to possibly 14 teams. If the Big 10 does expand eastward, the Big East is in major trouble. If the Big 10 takes all three Big East Candidates, that will end the Big East as a football conference. The ACC would take West Virginia and South Florida, and C-USA would grab Louisville and Cincinnati. Even the loss of just one team hurts the Big East, who has already had to raid the CUSA for teams (Cincinnati and Louisvile) just to stay afloat. The possibility of having to add Buffalo or East Carolina to your conference just can not be that appealing.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

rutgers to the big 10 is a big meh, pitt or mizzou will be amazing. But i doubt pitt would make the move since they have more chance to a bcs bowl in the big east

scarp
    scarp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

hmmm.. good information... looks like the big 12 will be the same

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue
    Ch3fDan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

I really don't see the proposed 14 team expansion being a good thing, grabbing one team is fine. Would like to see the Big Ten add Pitt, but you never know.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

I still think that the best fit is Notre Dame; I hope the directors are not dumb enough to let the last train go. If not, Pitt is the best fit from a sports point of view; Rutgers is a reach, dreaming that they will get good TV ratings in NY/NJ. Mizzou is also a solid pick. Let's see how this finishes.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

No comment from JJ on Rutgers to the Big 10?

iwantcougars

notre dame still thinks they're a legendary football factory, unless some down to eart AD comes to ND there will no chance. Also they know they'll have more chance going bcs bowling as independent, but if nbc pulls the plug to their tv contract and some people press there's a slight chance, but i wont see it.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Notre Dame will remain independent as long as they get a nice fat contract from NBC, but once that goes away, they will join some conference. Right now, they are in a worse position by being an independent than they are by being in a conference. What Notre Dame's A.D. and school brass can not understand is that their days of glory are over. They are just another football team now. Oh they will occasionally challenge for a NC, but so will 60 other schools.

bigbank
    bigbank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

Rutgers? Not seeing any benefit to the Big Ten by adding this school. Missouri or Syracuse yes, Rutgers...nah.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Rutgers is the closest thing to D1 Football in NYC. Local NY tv carries Rutgers and many alum work there. Probably trying to push the Big10 network into the area. Probably many alum from Big10 schools in NYC too.

That would be my thinking. Who needs Mizzou, what do they do for anyone in regard to the Dollar?

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue

Mizzou is good for the Big 12 and I have a hard time believing they will move from their. I don't think it would be the worst thing for the Big Ten to add Rutgers, however, I still think Pitt makes the most sense. Notre Dame is going to live in their little bubble as long as they can so whatever, let them.

iwantcougars

why iowa state isnt a candidate for the big10?

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

LOL

The Big Ten sure is dying to add Pitt, Iowa State, or Missouri.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Iowa State is not a cnadidate because of several issues, the biggest being that they would not bring in any type of extra money to the conference. Their overall athletic program and institutional standards is also in question.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue

Rutger's athletics are on the rise so if the Big 10 was able to snag them at this point it may prove to be a huge steal down the road. It's more of a gamble to add Rutgers and less of a gamble add a proven team like Pitt.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11965

Shit's just gonna keep consolidating until we have like three or four superconferences, one for each region of the country

iwantcougars

hey big 10 forget about rutgers take cinci, west va or pitt

iwantcougars

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Iowa State is not a cnadidate because of several issues, the biggest being that they would not bring in any type of extra money to the conference. Their overall athletic program and institutional standards is also in question.
    ok, i thought iowa st was decent at other sports, but the institutional may be an issue

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

all are good options in my opinion...What about the Big 12 championship game if they lose Mizzou?

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines

If big 12 losses a team (Mizzou to Big 10 or Colorado to Pac 10), they add TCU. The north - south would be messed up, as one team from OK would have to go north, most possibly OSU.

If both teams go out, they may take Houston too and both OK teams go north to the renamed "Big 8 minus 2" north and "Old Southwestern conference" south division.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The Big 10 will not take Cincinnati or West Virginia. There is no financial gain by doing so. Pitt is very "iffy". Rutgers, Missouri, and Syracuse give them the biggest financial gain, and that is all they care about. They wnat to open up new T.V. markets.

Right now it is entirely possible for the Big 12 to lose two teams, one to the Big 10 and one to the Pac 10. TCU would definately be one replacement team. While Houston would be a logical candidate for the 2nd spot, BYU is also being mentioned. The Big 12 is not nearly the stickler that the Pac 10 is about accepting Uniersities like BYU. In either case, both go to the Big 12 South, so OU and Okie State would remain in the same division. If only one goes, then Okie State, being further North than OU, goes to the North. There still is a chance that none go.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

I sure hope Mizzou doesn't go to the Crap 10. Take Rutgers or Pitt or...anyone else.

Big 10 football and basketball is weak and boring. It's good to watch if you need to take a nap though.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

It may be weak, but I would not describe it as boring. The fact that the Big 10 won more bowl games than it lost shows tha the conference as a whole seems to be on the improve.

iwantcougars

the issue with byu is that they dont play on sundays, so schedule wise it will be a nightmare, colorado state has most chance than byu

scarp
    scarp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

maybe colorado would leave the big 12. Iowa state passed them up

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Let us assume that Rutgers is the choice. You will have an Eastern Division and a Western Division. Here is a potential breakdown:

East: Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana/Purdue*

West: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana/Purdue*

* Whichever schools is further East goes to the East, and West goes to the West.

Teams that will always play other teams out of their division: Indiana-Purdue, Michigan-Minnesota, Rutgers-Northwestern, Penn State-Wisconsin, Ohio State-Iowa, Michigan State-Illinois.

If the team that is taken is Missouri, it becomes simpler. Both Indiana teams go to the Eastern Division, and Missouri goes to the West. No special scheduling would be needed to continue rivalries.

East: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana.

West: Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 03-08-10 at 09:55 AM.

will_kill
    will_kill's Avatar Become A Pro!

the cuse suck

iwantcougars

at this point i think notre dame will be joining the big 10 or the midwest 12

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by iwantcougars View Post
    at this point i think notre dame will be joining the big 10 or the midwest 12
    I hope you are right. Here is another thing to factor in if you are Notre Dame. Here is the list of non BCS Bowl games that the Big East (who Notre Dame is tied into except for BCS Bowl purposes) and the Big 10 have tie-ins to.

Big East:

2. Champs Sport Bowl vs ACC
    3. Yankee Bowl vs Big 12
    4. Meineke Bowl vs ACC
    5. International Bowl vs MAC
    6. St. Petersberg Bowl vs CUSA

Big 10:

2. Gator Bowl vs SEC
    3. Capital One Bowl vs SEC
    4. Outback Bowl vs SEC
    5. Insight Bowl vs Big 12
    6. Texas Bowl vs Big 12
    7. Dallas Bowl vs CUSA

Which bowl set up would you rather be playing in. The Big East, or the Big 10?

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines

The bowls tie ins are dependent on the strength of the conference. So, it is not surprising that Big 10 has more lucrative bowls. If Notre Dame goes to Big 10, Big East may even drop a bowl tie in.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The Big East will not drop another bowl tie-in this year. Next year could bring several changes, depending on how many teams (if any) the Big 10 and Pac 10 pick up. Right now the Pac 10 has 6 bowl tie-ins. If they add two more teams and expand to 12, they will certainly pick up one more bowl, and possibly two. The Big 10 could pick up one more bowl.

Stealinhome
    Stealinhome's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I would think schools would love to get in to the big 10. They are the worst con. With an auto bcs bid if you moved to the big 10 you odds of getting a fat bcs check would go up a great deal.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

What I am trying to figure out is just how far the Big 10 wants to go with this. I would assume that they will take one team, and one team only, but there are rumors of adding more than one team. If NOtre Dame is not that team, from a sheer athletic point of view, Pitt would be the best way to go. Financially, Rutgers may be the way. Either way, that spells bad news for the Big East.