Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Stanford Steve and The Bear: Week 15 college football picks, bets, nuggets

Stanford Steve and The Bear: Week 15 college football picks, bets, nuggets

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

College football is in full swing in 2020, and it's unlike any season we have had before. One thing is familiar, though: "Stanford Steve" Coughlin and Chris "The Bear" Fallica breaking down games as only they can, offering their top bets, nuggets and totals worth wagering on. How will the guys fare this week?

Here is your guide to Week 15 of the season from the two college football analysts. (Games postponed or canceled because of COVID-19 have been removed.)

Records

• Stanford Steve (1-2 last week, 24-15 overall)
    • The Bear (2-1, 22-18)

The plays

No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide (-32, 68) at Arkansas Razorbacks

Stanford Steve: I was so close to giving the over between 'Bama and LSU last week, but I just didn't trust what I saw from LSU on the offensive side the previous week at Texas A&M. This week, coach Sam Pittman and Kendal Briles, I assume, will have a better game plan and a more "interested" group to try to attack what might be the most improved unit in the sport since the start of the season: the Alabama defense. On the other side, what else can you say about the Mac Jones aerial assault? The guy has been incredible, throwing for another four TDs and 380-plus yards while playing only one snap in the fourth quarter. We'll take the over.

Pick: Over 68 (Alabama 51, Arkansas 20)

No. 15 USC Trojans (-3, 62) at UCLA Bruins

The Bear: Recency bias is going to play a big role here. People saw and remember SC's brilliant passing performance Sunday vs. Washington State. I think SC will be a very public play, as people know the Trojans will head to the Pac-12 title game with a win. But SC's inability to run the ball last week worries me. UCLA is much improved at the line of scrimmage and could very easily be undefeated. The home 'dog looks like the right side to me.

Pick: UCLA +3

No. 20 Texas Longhorns (-29.5, 61) at Kansas Jayhawks

Stanford Steve: You know the drill here: Go against the Jayhawks. Hook 'em.

Pick: Texas -29.5 (Texas 52, Kansas 20)

Auburn Tigers (-6.5, 49) at Mississippi State Bulldogs

The Bear: You have to wonder what's left in the Tigers' tank after a trying past two weeks in which they got drilled by No. 1 Alabama and very easily could have upset No. 5 Texas A&M, with a dropped fourth-quarter INT-turned-TD a huge turning point. Now the Tigers have to head to Starkville, where State has played well the previous two times out, giving Georgia everything it could handle and against Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl. There was a point when it looked like the Bulldogs' season could head south, but they have continued competing. I'll take the home underdog here, as the MSU defense will likely give "road" Bo Nix some problems.

Pick: Mississippi State +6.5

Stanford Cardinal (-3, 52.5) at Oregon State Beavers

Stanford Steve: Can the self-proclaimed "Road Dogs" continue their winning ways on the road while still not being able to go home and sleep in their own beds? It will be easier said than done, as a battle-tested Beavers squad returns home after a tough loss to the Utes without their starting QB or RB last week in Salt Lake City. All signs point to them getting star RB Jermar Jefferson back after COVID-19 protocol. We'll take the home underdog to cover the points in a close game.

Pick: Oregon State +3 (Stanford 27, Oregon State 26)

The Bear: Stanford goes from the role of double-digit dog outright winner to road favorite -- and that's a dangerous proposition. The Cardinal have been on the road for a while now and go to Corvallis, where Oregon State beat Oregon and Cal this season. Give the Beavers credit for battling back while short-handed last week in Salt Lake City, and with Jermar Jefferson cleared to play this week, I like Oregon State at home to snap that 10-game losing streak to the Cardinal. Although home field is muted here, Reser Stadium has been a tricky spot for Stanford, as the past two trips have been decided by a combined four points.

Pick: Oregon State +3

Arizona State Sun Devils (-11, 55) at Arizona Wildcats

Stanford Steve: I am doing something that I know I shouldn't be doing when it comes to the Territorial Cup. I am taking the favorite and giving the points. I know it's wrong, and I don't care. The Wildcats have lost 11 in a row as a program and have scored 14 and 13, respectively, in their past two games. I will take Herm and the boys to get their first win and cover the double digits.

Pick: Arizona State -11 (Arizona State 38, Arizona 22)

Nevada Wolf Pack at San José State Spartans (-2.5, 58.5)

Stanford Steve: I can't let my favorite story of the year end without giving them as a pick. What Brent Brennan and the Spartans have done this season is easily my favorite thing to happen in the sport, which started with preseason camp at Humboldt State. For the second straight week, SJSU is playing a home game not at its home field. Last week, the Spartans played a home game at Hawaii, and this week they play a home game at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. No matter what has been in the way, this team has overcome it, and the defense has been really impressive, giving up only 17 points per game on average. This will be a very well played game, but we'll take the favorite and lay the points.

Pick: San José State -2.5 (San Jose State 31, Nevada 24)

The Bear's underdogs to play on the money line, in round robins and parlays

UCLA +130
    Mississippi State +205
    Wyoming +340
    Oregon State +125
    Nevada +125

Bear Bytes

No. 17 North Carolina Tar Heels at No. 10 Miami Hurricanes (-3, 67.5)

• Miami is 5-2 ATS as a favorite this season. The Canes were 3-7 in their previous 10 games as favorites under Manny Diaz.

No. 11 Oklahoma Sooners (-14, 56.5) at West Virginia Mountaineers

• Oklahoma is 5-0-1 ATS in the past six meetings and has averaged 52.5 PPG in those games.

No. 15 USC (-3, 62) at UCLA

• This marks the 18th time in the past 19 years that USC is favored over UCLA; 2014 was the lone exception.

Wisconsin Badgers (-1, 41.5) at No. 16 Iowa Hawkeyes

• This would be the first time since 2010 that Iowa is favored over Wisconsin. The Badgers upset the Hawkeyes 31-30 at Kinnick that year.

Navy Midshipmen at Army Black Knights (-7, 38)

• In the past 12 games between academies, underdogs are 11-1 ATS and have won seven outright.

Tennessee Volunteers (-15, 50) at Vanderbilt Commodores

• Vanderbilt has covered seven of the past eight meetings and won five of the eight outright. Each of the past five meetings has been decided by double digits.

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Thank you H