PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

who has the best set of rules they follow for sports betting? POST AND VOTE NOW.

SIMPLY JUST POST YOUR TEN RULES AND VOTE ON WHO'S 10 RULES YOU LIKE THE MOST. OR JUST VOTE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE YOURS. OR HANDPICK AND POST ON ONES FROM EACH LIST AND POST THEM.(NOTE)WHEN HAND PICKING YOU DON'T HAVE TO PICK 10 THERE MIGHT NOT BE TEN THAT YOU LIKE.(2ND NOTE)WHEN VOTING YOU CAN'T VOTE ON YOURSELF.

Example: on voting. just post like this: I like alabamakids list the best because: your reason and comments goes here.
    Example: on hand picking
    1 alabamakid's 5th rule post reason here
    2 johnnydangerously's 1st rule post reason here
    3 frankywhite's 3rd rule post reason here
    4 etc.
    5 etc.
    6 etc.
    7 etc.
    8 etc.
    9 etc.
    10 etc.
    Please keep comments respectful/constructive criticism only please.
    OK this is a rough draft so i will be editing as i get feedback so opinions are welcome.

OK now i will be brave enough to post my 10 rules for sports betting now.
    Remember this is a exercise to help all willing members make
    better decisions when sports betting.
    RULE#
    #1 NEVER GET ATTACHED TO BETTING ON SPECIFIC TEAMS OR SPORTS: Example the colts have been doing great for me so i am going to ride them to the bank all season: or i am sticking to football because i don't know much about basketball.
    Remember it's a game of odds not sport.

#2 ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR GUT: IF YOU HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THE BET DON'T BET!IF HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT THE BET BET IT!

#3 NEVER GO ON TILT: MEANING GETTING ANGRY WHEN YOU LOSE A BET OR MAKING FOOLISH DECISIONS LIKE DOUBLING DOWN, OR AN I'LL SHOW THEM BOOKIES ATTITUDE! "AN ANGRY MIND IS A LOSING MIND"

#4 ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT SPORTS BETTING IS THE ONLY FORM OF GAMBLING WHERE YOU CAN USE TRUE LOGIC AND NOT HAVE TO RELY SOLELY ON LUCK LIKE ALL OTHER FORMS! YOU HAVE A VAST AMOUNT OF INFORMATION ABOUT THE INVESTMENT YOUR ABOUT TO MAKE AT YOUR FINGER Tips USE IT!

#5 MODERATE YOUR HIGHS AND LOWS: WHEN YOUR ON A STREAK DON'T GET THE ATTITUDE THAT YOUR THE KING AND YOU'LL NEVER LOSE AGAIN!"Eat a huge serving of humble pie" WHEN YOU LOSE DON'T GET DOWN ON YOURSELF AND SAY THAT'S IT I'M TAKING THE BRIDGE! JUST CALM YOURSELF AND SAY TO YOURSELF OH WELL I CANT WIN THEM ALL OR ANALISE ALL YOUR DECISIONS AND SEE IF YOU MADE A MISTAKE OR I,LL DO BETTER TOMORROW. Definition of insanity:"someone who does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result"

#6 DON'T WATCH THE GAMES OR SCORES: UNLESS YOU ARE WINNING OR HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT YOUR CHANCES IT IS NOT WORTH THE HELL YOU'LL PUT YOURSELF THROUGH "LIKE A WILD STALLION RUNNING TOWARDS A BURNING STABLE!" REMEMBER THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT AN OUTCOME OF A GAME BY PAYING ATTENTION TO IT.

#7 NEVER RISK A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY ON POOR ODDS:
    LIKE PARLAY'S&FUTURES. TEASERS OF MORE THAN TWO TEAMS. JUST BET SMALL AMOUNTS FOR THE FUN OF IT NOT CARING IF YOU LOSE SO THAT WHEN YOU DO WIN IT'S LIKE A CHRISTMAS PRESENT UNEXPECTED.

#8 DON'T BECOME ADDICTED: EVERYONE KNOWS WHEN THEY ARE ADDICTED (THEY JUST DON'T TELL THEIR SELF) WE'LL LEAVE GAMBLERS ANONYMOUS HANDLE THIS ONE.

#9 ALWAYS MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON YOUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN NOT FAVORITISM: FOR EXAMPLE JUST BECAUSE A TEAM DESTROYED THIS WEEK DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL NEXT WEEK OR EVERYBODY SAYS THE COWBOYS ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE GIANTS SO I GOT TO TAKE THEM. (ALWAYS ASK YOURSELF HOW CAN I GET THE ODDS IN MY FAVOR.)

#10 ALWAYS HAVE FUN: YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY. (IF YOU DON'T LOVE WHAT YOU DO YOU'LL NEVER SUCCEED)

Well folks that's my list and i am "trying" to stick to it!
    Good luck everybody
    PAULYPOKER
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 12-04-09 at 11:53 PM.

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

Rule 1, one must have the Patience of a saint and the guts of a burglar to win at this game.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Rule 3 Don't go on tilt...all about money management...

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

1. Book other players action
    2-9 See no 1

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

discipline is everything.

#6 is my favorite. 4:15 and 7:30 are enough for me. Anything before is useless.

PAULYPOKER

Rules i broke on Saturday

#9 ALWAYS MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON YOUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN NOT FAVORITISM: FOR EXAMPLE JUST BECAUSE A TEAM DESTROYED THIS WEEK DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL NEXT WEEK OR EVERYBODY SAYS THE COWBOYS ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE GIANTS SO I GOT TO TAKE THEM. (ALWAYS ASK YOURSELF HOW CAN I GET THE ODDS IN MY FAVOR.)

#3 NEVER GO ON TILT: MEANING GETTING ANGRY WHEN YOU LOSE A BET OR MAKING FOOLISH DECISIONS LIKE DOUBLING DOWN, OR AN I'LL SHOW THEM BOOKIES ATTITUDE! "AN ANGRY MIND IS A LOSING MIND"

My book for Saturday = -429units

Rules i broke on Sunday

My book for Sunday +800 units

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Most important rules from the op... #3 and #9.

Other good ones... #5 and #6.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Rule 11. Post this in Players Talk.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547
    Points Awarded:

PAULYPOKER gave smitch124 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    I like Saint Andrews following rules

3. Don't play totals. They're not profitable, you win on them by being lucky. Luck is not a handicapping tool.
    My reason: totals are nothing but a cointoss or roulette red or black or playing Russian roulette with four bullets in a six shooter!

10. Don't go "all-in" unless you are making a lifestyle change. You may think you are ready to do it, but if it loses and you suddenly can't get action down, you will wish you could get in the time machine. There is only one permissible time to go "all -in": it's when you are on the brink of a lifestyle change that does not involve gambling and you don't care if you win or lose.
    No need for reason self explanitory

11. Don't let "touts", message board traffic, etc influence your plays. "Gambling Services" are simply people doing what you should be doing (research) except that they are usually doing it less effectively than you could do it yourself. I am always shocked by the illiterate moron write-ups that I see on service sites.
    My reason: Don't fall for hype!

14. Never assume that a team is better or worse than their record.
    No need for reason self explanitory

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

If only old St Andrew/Machine Choice could have stuck to his rules might still be around...sad he went all in 4 times this year and lost... I am sure there is someone who misses him?

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

1. Let the book(s) make the play for you.

2. Figure out what #1 means before ever placing a wager.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    1. Let the book(s) make the play for you.

2. Figure out what #1 means before ever placing a wager.
    TSI

trixtrix
    trixtrix's Avatar Become A Pro!

rule #1.) always make +eg bets

rule #2.) refer to rule #1

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

i like rule no 3.....its the most important, i think.

BEANTOWNJIM
    I GRIN WHEN I WIN
    BEANTOWNJIM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

ALWAYS BET ON THE WHITE QUARTERBACK OVER THE BLACK ONE I CALL THIS THE BEANTOWNIM RULE.BLACK GUYS PANIC UNDER PRESSURE AND THROW BAD PASSES THIS IS A KNOWN FACT IN THE S.E.C CONFERENCE

IN THE NBA NEVER BET ON A TEAM WITH 5 BLACK STARTERS EVERY TEAM NEEDS A SLOW WHITE GUY TO THINK THINGS OUT OUTHERWISE YOU HAVE A CHINESE FIRE DRILL OUT OF CONTROL TEAM AND NOBODY WANTS TO PASS THE BALL.

BOYS YOU FOLLOW THESE TWO RULES AND YOU WILL MAKE MONEY

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    ALWAYS BET ON THE WHITE QUARTERBACK OVER THE BLACK ONE I CALL THIS THE BEANTOWNIM RULE.BLACK GUYS PANIC UNDER PRESSURE AND THROW BAD PASSES THIS IS A KNOWN FACT IN THE S.E.C CONFERENCE

IN THE NBA NEVER BET ON A TEAM WITH 5 BLACK STARTERS EVERY TEAM NEEDS A SLOW WHITE GUY TO THINK THINGS OUT OUTHERWISE YOU HAVE A CHINESE FIRE DRILL OUT OF CONTROL TEAM AND NOBODY WANTS TO PASS THE BALL.

BOYS YOU FOLLOW THESE TWO RULES AND YOU WILL MAKE MONEY
    Is your caps lock button stuck?

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    ALWAYS BET ON THE WHITE QUARTERBACK OVER THE BLACK ONE I CALL THIS THE BEANTOWNIM RULE.BLACK GUYS PANIC UNDER PRESSURE AND THROW BAD PASSES THIS IS A KNOWN FACT IN THE S.E.C CONFERENCE IN THE NBA NEVER BET ON A TEAM WITH 5 BLACK STARTERS EVERY TEAM NEEDS A SLOW WHITE GUY TO THINK THINGS OUT OUTHERWISE YOU HAVE A CHINESE FIRE DRILL OUT OF CONTROL TEAM AND NOBODY WANTS TO PASS THE BALL. BOYS YOU FOLLOW THESE TWO RULES AND YOU WILL MAKE MONEY
    ALWAYS A BAD APPLE ON THE TREE Please keep your racist comments to yourself

PAULYPOKER

Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post

#6 DON'T WATCH THE GAMES OR SCORES: UNLESS YOU ARE WINNING OR HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT YOUR CHANCES IT IS NOT WORTH THE HELL YOU'LL PUT YOURSELF THROUGH "LIKE A WILD STALLION RUNNING TOWARDS A BURNING STABLE!" REMEMBER THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT AN OUTCOME OF A GAME BY PAYING ATTENTION TO IT.
    I disagree very strongly with this one. Yes, there's nothing you can do about the outcome by watching a game - but you can learn a lot. Does the game play how you forecasted it to? Can you learn something about the teams that you didn't realise before? Win or lose, you should have a better idea whether your bet was a good one if you watch the game.

I like a lot of your other rules, though.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

here's some of my rules off the top of my head:

1) Don't chase. If you lose, there's more games tomorrow, or next weekend, for that matter.
    Pay up and start your research for the next ticket.
    2) Watch your games. Know the sport and how it's played. Seriously.
    Numbers are one thing, winning is another.
    3) Roster changes, weather, injuries, what's "in their heads" (arguments, controversies, etc.)
    all factor the result
    4) If you're not sure, kick back and WATCH the First half.
    Winning bets can be made on the Second Half based on First half analysis. "Show Me."
    5) Always think about tomorrow, not tonight. Who cares where you are after tonight.
    Where you gonna be tomorrow ? Because you KNOW you're going to bet AGAIN.
    Tomorrow's card as important as todays. Be there for it.
    6) If you hit it BIG, take at least half OFF and go BUY SOMETHING CONCRETE.

peace

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I disagree very strongly with this one. Yes, there's nothing you can do about the outcome by watching a game - but you can learn a lot. Does the game play how you forecasted it to? Can you learn something about the teams that you didn't realise before? Win or lose, you should have a better idea whether your bet was a good one if you watch the game. I like a lot of your other rules, though.
    Thank you for your opinion
    PAULYPOKER

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11898

1. Money Management
    2. NO TEASERS (SUCKER BET)
    3. NO PARLAYS
    4. DONT BET BECAUSE GAME IS ON TV

PAULYPOKER

I like snowball's following rules:
    1) Don't chase. If you lose, there's more games tomorrow, or next weekend, for that matter.
    Pay up and start your research for the next ticket.
    My reason:WHEN YOU LOSE DON'T GET DOWN ON YOURSELF AND SAY THAT'S IT I'M TAKING THE BRIDGE! JUST CALM YOURSELF AND SAY TO YOURSELF OH WELL I CANT WIN THEM ALL OR ANALISE ALL YOUR DECISIONS AND SEE IF YOU MADE A MISTAKE OR I,LL DO BETTER TOMORROW. Definition of insanity:"someone who does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result"

2) Watch your games. Know the sport and how it's played. Seriously.
    Numbers are one thing, winning is another.
    no reason self explanitory

3) Roster changes, weather, injuries, what's "in their heads" (arguments, controversies, etc.)
    all factor the result

5) Always think about tomorrow, not tonight. Who cares where you are after tonight.
    Where you gonna be tomorrow ? Because you KNOW you're going to bet AGAIN.
    Tomorrow's card as important as todays. Be there for it.

Thank you snowball for your input
    PAULYPOKER

PAULYPOKER

Thank you invega man for your input
    paulypoker

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

you're welcome pauly. nice to see my post appreciated.

one more: Just because it's a "big" game doesn't mean you have to bet on it.
    If you got no feel on it, leave it alone. No matter how big it is. Just enjoy the game.
    Because it doesn't matter if it's the Superbowl, World Series, etc
    or a lowly NCAA basketball game in October.
    The money is the same. You bleed red and breathe green all the same.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    you're welcome pauly. Nice to see my post appreciated. One more: Just because it's a "big" game doesn't mean you have to bet on it. If you got no feel on it, leave it alone. No matter how big it is. Just enjoy the game. Because it doesn't matter if it's the superbowl, world series, etc or a lowly ncaa basketball game in october. The money is the same. You bleed red and breathe green all the same.
    good point
    paulypoker

shoebox
    shoebox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Never bet more than you can afford to lose
    Have a life, not just stuck looking at lines all day and starring at a laptop

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

A TEAM IS NEVER AS GOOD AS ITS BEST GAME OR AS BAD AS ITS WORST, ex. Saints whipping Pats & barely beating redskins.
    ALWAYS LEARN WHY YOU LOST A BET (so you can keep from repeating the same mistake)

PAULYPOKER

I like seer's following rule:
    ALWAYS LEARN WHY YOU LOST A BET (so you can keep from repeating the same mistake)
    My reason: Definition of insanity:"someone who does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result"

Thank you for your input The Seer
    PAULYPOKER

Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

I'll try to come up with ten 'rules' of my own. These are not in any particular order, except that the ones I thought of first presumably seem more important to my brain.

1. Pretty much listen to NOBODY. It's far too easy to get swayed against a pick by the weight of media crap and other folks' opinions. Nothing is worse than your own eyes telling you that a team can win a game, but this being considered so far-out by 'everyone' that you end up not playing it.

2. Don't get hung up on the spread. Not 'hooks', tiny moves, 'reverse line movement', "what are the 'sharps' doing?", "is this a 'trap'" game?", or any of that. If you like a team at +3.5 but not at +3 then your pick just isn't confident enough, in my opinion. You want to be finding bets that you believe have a much bigger margin of error than that. Most games don't finish very close to the spread in the end, anyway.

3. Try to be looking for something that most people aren't thinking about when they bet a game. If you're just looking at all the obvious stuff then you are looking at only the very things that set the line in the first place - a line designed to get action on both sides. Even if it's just looking a little closer at stats with an enquiring mind, I reckon that's more than many people do when they say "So and so are number one in rushing". Number one in rushing in what sense..?

4. Ignore ATS handicapping and systems. Some basic ATS stats make some sense - west coast teams on the east coast, that kind of thing - but then they are really just putting numbers on something that should be an obvious factor in looking at a game. When I read things like "Teams who lost a home game as a 4-7 point underdog in November, against a playoff team from the previous year who were at least .500 before that game, and are now playing a non-conference opponent in a non-nationally-televised game, and are starting a quarterback with at least ten career starts......." two things happen. First, I fall asleep. Then I wake up and think "That's just irrelevant!"

5. Vary your bet size.
    I'm just not a believer that you should bet the same on every game. Not every opportunity is the same. If you think team X are likely to win by ten points, why would you bet the same amount on the game if they were either a one point favourite or a ten point dog? The latter case is offering you a huge margin for error, so you should make the most of it! If you like a team, are hesitant but know you will kick yourself if you don't bet them, why not place a smaller-than-usual bet?

6. Be very wary of two touchdown favourites.
    This is quite topical since there were three of these this weekend, and all three failed (San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cincinnatti). There are just too many ways for a bet like this to fail, not least the fact that the two-TD favourite has no need to win the game by a huge margin. Why should they be busting a gut, leading by 16 with three minutes to play?

7. Be aware of the bounceback.
    It's too, too easy to oppose a team after they get blown out or lose a game they were widely expected to win. We see NFL teams produce strong performances after very bad ones, over and over again, yet most people don't seem to notice this. "They're done". "I will NEVER bet them again!". Think of Green Bay, beaten at Tampa this season and then given no chance by lots of pundits at home to Dallas the following week...

8. Don't get fixated on individual player match-ups.
    Peronally, I do not consider individual match-ups for even a second when I'm looking at a game. You know the kind of thing, you read it everywhere; "so-and-so will be able to take advantage of what's-his-name and this will turn the game". Well, you can bet that if some sports reporter has looked at this match-up then so have the coaches of the team that is supposedly going to lose because of it, and they will be doing their best to work around it.

9. Don't be afraid to bet your own team.
    Whether betting on them or against them. If you watch every snap of every game they play then you are ahead of 90% of the betting public when it comes to handicapping the team, simple as that.

10. Er, that's it
    I can't think of a tenth one.
    Points Awarded:

PAULYPOKER gave Limey 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JoeC
    JoeC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

So who does everybody like for tommorrow? I like the Nets +7.

PAULYPOKER

Thank you Limey for your list of rules when I first started this thread this was the kind of response I was looking for you are the first one to be as brave as myself to contribute your own complete list without caring what other members thought so I awarded you with 5 points

Again I thank you
    PAULY POKER

GELATINOUS CUBE
    SBR's 94.4% handicapper
    GELATINOUS CUBE's Avatar Become A Pro!

1. Just bring the sports page to the book.
    2. Handicap for at least 5 minutes.
    3. Have a set amount to lose, maybe $50 if you are an out of work railroad flagman
    4. Write down the numbers of some solid teams on top of the card.
    5. Walk to the window.

6. Place 5 $10 6-team parlays with a bunch of solid teams with big players
    7. Buy a beer
    8. Start yelling and cussing when you're parlays all start to fukk.
    9 kick you're chair over.
    10. Go home broke.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Rule 11. Post this in Players Talk.
    Calm down donny, it's been moved......

dogcity
    dogcity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    ALWAYS A BAD APPLE ON THE TREE Please keep your racist comments to yourself
    PAULYPOKER
    +++ to you PAULY for the having the balls to stand up...

I understand your reasoning behind your rule#6...but I like to watch a lot of games, especially to find out how teams/players perform against tougher defence or stronger competition.

Rule #(whatever)...only bet sports you know very,very well.
    Last edited by dogcity; 12-08-09 at 01:14 AM.

1234 ... Last