2020 NFL draft rankings: Kiper's Big Board, with top 25 prospects and best 10 at every position

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

We're now less than a month away from the 2020 NFL draft kicking off, and things have changed since the combine, which feels like it happened months ago. The coronavirus pandemic has ended all pre-draft visits for prospects, and the draft, which was supposed to be showcased in Las Vegas on April 23-25, is closed to the public.

With free agency largely in the rearview mirror, though, below is my post-combine Big Board for the 2020 NFL draft -- my top 25 prospects overall as it stands right now -- plus my list of the top 10 prospects at every position. You'll see quite a few changes here. You can also check out my Mock Draft 3.0. Here we go:

1. Chase Young, DE, Ohio State

HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 264 | Previously: 1
Young, who finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting, is a dominant pass-rusher whose 16.5 sacks broke the Buckeyes' single-season record. He had a phenomenal season and is the clear top prospect in the class. The NFL loves twitchy edge rushers who can get after quarterbacks, and that's Young. He caught my eye as a true freshman in 2017, and he really came on in 2018, picking up the production with Nick Bosa sidelined; Young finished with 9.5 sacks and 14.5 total tackles for loss that season.

2. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 221 | Previously: 2
Burrow's final line in his Heisman-winning season: 60 touchdown passes with just six interceptions while completing 76.3% of his passes. Those are unreal numbers. Oh, and he led 15-0 LSU to a national title. I don't think there's any doubt now that he has cemented his spot as the top quarterback in this draft. Burrow's improvement was one of the greatest stories of the season after he started 2019 as a fringe NFL prospect. With a great release, much better accuracy at all levels of the field and enough athleticism to maneuver the pocket to evade rushers, Burrow reminds me of Tony Romo. Coaches rave about his leadership and toughness, too.

3. Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 205 | Previously: 4
Credit Todd McShay here: He had Okudah at No. 4 overall in his preseason rankings. When I went back through the 2018 tape, I saw why Todd was so fired up. This is a potential top-five pick with a high ceiling based on talent alone. The problem? Okudah hadn't picked off a single pass in his first two seasons for the Buckeyes. He had three interceptions in 2019, though, including two picks in a blowout of Nebraska. While Young got all of the publicity for the Ohio State defense, Okudah is a true shutdown corner. His 41-inch vertical and 4.48 40-yard dash time at the combine showed his explosive traits.

4. Isaiah Simmons, OLB, Clemson

HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 238 | Previously: 5
Simmons is a rare athlete with the frame of a linebacker and the athleticism and top-end speed of a safety. He showed his elite traits at the combine, running a 4.39 40-yard dash, the second-fastest 40 time for a linebacker at the combine since 2006. Simmons is exactly what NFL teams look for in three-down linebackers in today's game. He has the size and speed to run sideline to sideline to chase down tailbacks, and he has the athletic ability to cover tight ends in the slot. He could even flip his hips and play some safety. He had 104 tackles, seven sacks, three interceptions and 16 total tackles for loss this past season, and he was one of the best players on the field in the loss to LSU in the national championship game.

5. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

HT: 6-foot-0 | WT: 217 | Previously: 3
Tagovailoa, who dislocated his right hip and suffered a posterior wall fracture in November, didn't work out at the combine, but he was supposed to throw for NFL coaches and scouts in April. That's up in the air now, in which case teams might not be able to see his progress from his injury before they use a valuable pick on him. Tagovailoa's injury history -- he dealt with ankle and knee injuries over the past two seasons -- will complicate how teams evaluate him, and while reports about his medicals have been good, each team will have its own report. As a player, Tagovailoa is a top-five talent with elite accuracy and all the physical and mental tools teams look for in a starter. But his injuries make him a wild card in this class.

6. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 326 | Previously: 6
I wrote about Brown early last season, when he had two sacks and a forced fumble in the Tigers' win at Texas A&M. He had another sack and a forced fumble -- plus two fumble recoveries -- in Auburn's loss at Florida. Brown took a leap in 2019, turning his traits into production, and that's what he needed to show. NFL teams want interior disruptors who can knock down quarterbacks, and Brown hasn't shown he can do that consistently just yet. He is still raw, but he has top-five talent in a massive frame.

7. Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

HT: 6-foot-7 | WT: 364 | Previously: 11
With long arms and a 6-foot-7 frame, Becton sticks out on tape, and he dominates at the point of attack, pushing aside pass-rushers but also showing tremendous feet for his size. He is rising after his junior season, once teams got a closer look at his tape. He showed off his athleticism at the combine, running a 5.10 40-yard dash at 364 pounds, which is a fantastic time. He could be a top-five pick.

8. Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 312 | Previously: 12
I had Crimson Tide left tackle Alex Leatherwood ranked higher than Wills throughout the season, but Leatherwood is headed back to school, and Wills declared for the draft. The right tackle is another rising lineman, as Wills is blessed with a great set of physical tools. He is a physical run-blocker who can shut down edge rushers or interior pressure in pass protection. Wills is another possibility as the top tackle off the board.

9. Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 192 | Previously: 7
Jeudy is a special talent, a true No. 1 receiver the minute he gets drafted. Just watch him run past the Arkansas secondary for one of his two touchdowns in that game. He is unguardable at the college level. He finished the season with 77 catches for 1,163 yards and 10 touchdowns. I said in May that he is the most talented receiver to enter the NFL since the duo of Julio Jones and A.J. Green went in Round 1 in 2011. The Biletnikoff Award winner can run every route and has elite ball skills, and he blazed by SEC defensive backs every week.

10. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

HT: 6-foot-6 | WT: 236 | Previously: 9

Herbert is a maddening evaluation, though overall he showed improved accuracy and better decision-making this season. He can have games in which he looks rattled (he threw two fourth-quarter interceptions in the Ducks' loss to Arizona State), but he also can take over games through his talent. As I wrote last May, he just looks like a potential No. 1 pick -- great size, a powerful arm to make every throw, limited interceptions, good athleticism. Yet, he took a step back in consistency in 2018, and that's why I thought he made a good decision to return to Oregon for his senior season. Herbert had 32 touchdown passes and five interceptions in 2019, and he showed off his athleticism with three touchdown runs in a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin. Because of his physical tools, there will be teams that love him. But there also will be teams that stay away from him because of his inconsistent play.

11. Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 320 | Previously: 15
Left tackle, right tackle -- it really doesn't matter anymore. NFL teams aren't differentiating between the value of the two positions. Teams just want good tackles, period. Wirfs, a former high school wrestling champion, plays right tackle for the Hawkeyes -- though he has had a few series on the left side -- and he just mauls defenders. Dominates them. He has incredible strength and power -- check out this video -- and he also can move his feet. At the combine, Wirfs put up a 36.5-inch vertical and ran a 4.85 40-yard dash, the fastest time by a 320-plus-pound player since at least 2006.

12. CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 193 | Previously: 8
Lamb showed how special he can be in the Sooners' win over Texas in October, catching 10 passes for 171 yards and three touchdowns. But you should really watch the highlights, because the overall numbers don't quite capture his dominance. He had 65 catches for 1,158 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2018, and that was as the Sooners' No. 2 target. With Marquise Brown off to the NFL, Lamb was the top target for Jalen Hurts last season, averaging 21.4 yards per catch with 14 touchdowns. Lamb is an advanced route runner, has outstanding hands and can get open against any defender. He doesn't have elite speed -- he ran a 4.50 at the combine -- but he can beat cornerbacks in several different ways.

13. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

HT: 5-foot-11 | WT: 188 | Previously: 20
As the Crimson Tide's No. 2 receiver, Ruggs' game is all about speed, though he improved as a route runner in 2018, when he had 46 catches for 741 yards and 11 touchdowns. He averaged 18.6 yards per catch last season, and he had seven touchdowns, though he didn't get much target volume in a stacked Bama offense. Check out this route on a 74-yard TD catch on which he almost outruns the throw. I predicted he'd be the fastest prospect at the combine, and he proved that with a 4.27 40-yard dash.

14. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 324 | Previously: 10
With a massive frame and great athleticism for his size, Kinlaw is physically gifted. And we know NFL teams are looking for interior pass-rushers, which is what Kinlaw can provide. After putting up 4.5 sacks in 2018, he had six last season. And he is getting to quarterbacks with quickness and power. Kinlaw moves really well for his size, and he can eat up blockers in the running game. He was really good at the Senior Bowl in January.

15. Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 224 | Previously: NR

So McShay and I have a pre-draft bet on the books -- $5,000 to the Jimmy V Foundation -- on whether Herbert or Love will be picked first. I have Herbert, McShay has Love. That we're even having this conversation shows how far Love has come and what NFL scouts think of him. Let's start with the bad: 20 touchdown passes, 17 interceptions last season. But realize Love lost his top five pass-catchers from his breakout 2018 season (32 TDs, six INTs). He also had a new coaching staff. It was a struggle. The good? Just turn on the tape from the 2018 season, with Love displaying stellar traits in a 6-foot-4 frame. He also had a good week at the Senior Bowl, showing teams that he belonged. Still, Love is raw, and that's why whichever team picks him -- and it's likely to be in the top 25 picks -- needs to take its time with him and let him keep developing. He has a high ceiling.

16. K'Lavon Chaisson, OLB, LSU

HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 254 | Previously: 21

Every year, teams covet edge rushers with projectable traits, even if they don't always produce huge numbers. That's Chaisson, who had just 6.5 sacks this past season, only 3.5 of which came in the regular season. Those high-ceiling edge rushers don't always go in the first round, of course, but you can see on tape why a team might love Chaisson's potential. He starred in the Tigers' win over Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff, picking up two sacks. It's fair to say there is risk involved; Chaisson missed most of the 2018 season with a knee injury, and he finished his LSU career with just 9.5 sacks. Again, though, this is all about upside, and this isn't a great class for elite edge rushers after Chase Young.

17. D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

HT: 5-foot-8 | WT: 212 | Previously: 16
Just watch Swift on this 48-yard screen. He runs through and by defenders, showing off what has scouts so excited about his potential. It starts with speed, and Swift's 4.48 at the combine was a great time for him. He also has a physical side, and he makes tacklers miss. After running for 1,049 yards as part of a rotation in 2018, Swift was the Bulldogs' clear No. 1 back this past season. He averaged 6.2 yards per carry, with eight total touchdowns. He caught 32 passes in 2018, so he is already a third-down threat. That versatility will be important for his future.

18. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 315 | Previously: NR
There have been some mixed opinions about Thomas over the past year, but I'm going to trust the tape. The left tackle, who started on the right side as a true freshman in 2017, is great in pass protection, showing off tremendous footwork, strong hands and excellent technique. He stones pass-rushers. And while the three-year starter tested so-so athletically at the combine, I've heard good things about Thomas' interviews with teams. This a really strong tackle class at the top.

19. CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

HT: 6-foot | WT: 204 | Previously: 18
Henderson dealt with an ankle injury this past season, sitting out a few games. He returned for the two tough matchups with Auburn and LSU, and he had three pass breakups in each of those games. Henderson is a lockdown cover corner who needs to improve on the little things to make his all-around game better. With six interceptions combined in 2017 and 2018, Henderson has tremendous ball skills, and he has the athletic traits to be a No. 1 corner in the NFL. His 4.39 40-yard dash at the combine was an outstanding time, locking in his status as the No. 2 corner in this class.

20. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 216 | Previously: 23
It's the size that sticks out with Higgins: He has a huge frame to create mismatches. But he also is a better-than-expected route runner, and he helped stretch the field for quarterback Trevor Lawrence. He can box out smaller cornerbacks in the red zone, and he can high-point the ball on sideline throws. Check out this catch-and-run from two seasons ago. Higgins was a touchdown machine in 2018, scoring 12 times on 59 catches. And he averaged 19.8 yards per catch on his 59 receptions last season, with 13 TDs, including three apiece against Wake Forest and in the ACC title game against Virginia.

21. Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU

HT: 6-foot | WT: 229 | Previously: 17
The more I watched LSU's defense last season, the more I liked Queen. He just constantly showed up on the film, making sure tackles and penetrating into the backfield. And he was great in the Tigers' two College Football Playoff games, with four tackles for loss and 16 total tackles. Queen is a run-and-hit middle linebacker who has some coverage skills, though he can still improve there. He'll be an instant starter as a rookie.

22. Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 202 | Previously: NR

I picked Jefferson as my top riser from the first day of the combine, as the wideout ran a 4.43 40-yard dash and blew away my expectations. He has a chance to be a top-15 pick now. Jefferson broke out last season, catching 111 passes for 1,540 yards and 18 touchdowns in a devastating LSU passing attack. He also led the FBS in total catches and first-down receptions (66) last season. That was after just 54 catches -- and seven drops -- in 2018. He's a really good player who could play out wide or in the slot.

23. Kenneth Murray, ILB, Oklahoma

HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 241 | Previously: 19

Murray is a chiseled specimen with great athleticism for his size. Murray can be a little stiff in coverage, but he has excellent diagnostic ability, and he flies to the football. I think he will improve in space with more reps; he was asked to be a tackling machine for the Sooners, who didn't have a ton of other defensive studs. Murray also showed that he can blitz, as he had 8.5 sacks over the past two seasons. He could be a linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

24. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

HT: 5-foot-9 | WT: 203 | Previously: NR
Winfield is small, but he is a true ball hawk who had seven interceptions last season. As I mentioned in my Mock Draft 2.0, interceptions can be misleading as a projection tool for prospects, but he also had 88 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles for the Golden Gophers. Apart from his small stature, Winfield also has a checkered injury history, as hamstring and foot injuries prematurely ended his 2017 and 2018 seasons. Still, the talent is too hard to ignore, and he's my new No. 1 safety in this class.

25. Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 307 | Previously: 24
I really like Ruiz's 2019 film, and I have a higher grade on him now than I did last year on Garrett Bradbury, the 2019 draft class' top center. Ruiz can play guard -- he started five games there for the Wolverines -- and that's why his value is so high. NFL teams love versatile interior linemen, and I could see a team drafting him to play guard.

Top 10 prospects at each position

An asterisk denotes the prospect is an underclassman:

Quarterbacks

1. Joe Burrow, LSU
2. *Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
3. Justin Herbert, Oregon
4. *Jordan Love, Utah State
5. *Jacob Eason, Washington
6. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
7. *Jake Fromm, Georgia
8. Steven Montez, Colorado
9. James Morgan, Florida International