SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Georgia at Alabama, Sept. 19

Few Georgia regular-season games have had as much hype as the 2019 clash against Notre Dame. College GameDay came to town. It was a matchup between top-10 opponents. And Georgia had a chance to show off its new LED lights in a primetime atmosphere.
    The game mostly lived up to the hype from a neutral-viewing standpoint, though some Georgia fans probably found the game a little disappointing given a sluggish offensive performance.
    But for all that when into that game, there’s a very real chance that when Georgia visits Alabama during the third week of the 2020 season, the hype for that game will surpass and even dwarf the Georgia-Notre Dame contest.
    ESPN’s Alex Scarborough put out a list of the most intriguing games for the 2020 season. And on the list was the Georgia-Alabama game, set for Sept. 19.
    Scarborough’s main selling point for the game at this point is Georgia coach Kirby Smart’s return to Tuscaloosa, after his long tenure as Nick Saban’s defensive coordinator.

Nick Saban is bound to lose to one of his former assistant coaches someday, right,” “I mean, we’re at 19 wins and counting, and the streak is bordering on ridiculous. So maybe with Georgia coach Kirby Smart coming back to Tuscaloosa for the first time since he left his post as defensive coordinator, it’s time for it to end.”

The 19 wins the writer is referencing is the fact that Saban is 19-0 against his former assistants. Two of those wins have come against Smart, with the first coming in the 2018 National Championship Game and the second coming in the 2018 SEC Championship Game. Georgia held double-digit second-half leads in both of those games and ended up being undone by an Alabama back-up quarterback each time.
    You can imagine at some point in the week leading up to the game, Smart will be asked about making any preparations for the Crimson Tide’s back-up, just given the history of the game. He likely won’t find the question all that funny.
    The Georgia-Alabama game will also have quite a bit more history around the game than the Notre Dame-Georgia matchup. The two sides have played some epic games in the past decade, with Georgia somehow coming up short in all of them.
    But when the two sides have met in the regular season — 2008 and 2015 — neither game has been all that competitive. The last time these two had a close game that wasn’t played in Atlanta was back in 2007. Georgia took down the Crimson Tide in overtime thanks to a touchdown pass from Matthew Stafford to Mikey Henderson.
    That was the last time these two teams met in Tuscaloosa and the last time Georgia came away with a win in this series. A win for Georgia would allow the Bulldogs to exorcise a lot of demons.
    Even with the recent matchups though, one reason for more excitement is that both teams enter with an unknown entity at the quarterback position.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Mac Jones is not unknown. He performed well this past season. Until someone unseats him as the starting QB, he has the job. (Not saying Bryce Young cannot do that because what I have seen of him so far is WOW!!!) The interesting factor at the moment lies with the Bama coordinators. Pete Golding did not do as well as previous Bama standards. And Charlie Strong is strongly rumored to be returning to Tuscaloosa later this week for the 2nd time in as many weeks and people expect him to be the next candidate in the Nick Saban School of Coaching. While Strong did not do as well as a head coach, he was/is a great DC. And Bama's D should have more experience this year.

Sark is one being considered at Colorado. If he is offered that job and takes it, then who is the OC?

Bama is use to reloading talent when it leaves early. It will be interesting to see the affect it has on UGA. I think they struggle in 2020.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Strong and his stupid "my way or the highway" attitude will not work well with Saban. Can he change his ways? He can try, but if Alabama hires him, I think the results will not be very favorable in the long run. Strong has shown strong regression as a coach. Georgia's dreams of i=winning a NC will end in Tuscaloosa. They do not have the offensive talent needed to defeat Alabama. Anything under 10 1/2 wins for Georgia is a solid wager this season. 10-2 for UGA this season.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Strong and his stupid "my way or the highway" attitude will not work well with Saban. Can he change his ways? He can try, but if Alabama hires him, I think the results will not be very favorable in the long run. Strong has shown strong regression as a coach. Georgia's dreams of i=winning a NC will end in Tuscaloosa. They do not have the offensive talent needed to defeat Alabama. Anything under 10 1/2 wins for Georgia is a solid wager this season. 10-2 for UGA this season.
    He has already been hired as a defensive analyst. He is now the 4th former head coach on staff.