BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

5 Coaches Who Should Be On The Hot Seat

Notice I said "Should Be". That does not necessarily mean that they will be.

1. Clay Helton, USC. It is real simple. Either Helton has a successful season or both he and AD Swan are gone. With a schedule that features games at Washington and Notre Dame, plus home games against Stanford, Utah and Oregon, one may think that 8-4 would be a good record, but 9 wins should be the minimum to keep his job. USC has lost several potential solid recruits and had by their standards, a sub-par recruiting season (#18 Overall and #3 in the Pac 12). The alumni wanted Helton's head last season and will not sit still for anything less than a 9 win season, nor should they.

2. Chris Ash, Rutgers. Why is he still there. Last seasons team was expected to improve on a 4-8 season in 2017 but instead, went 1-11 and never scored more than 17 points in their last 11 games. This season sees a schedule that has Liberty and UMass visiting as well as a non-con game against Boston College. Crossover games include a trip to Illinois. It will take at least 4 wins to save his job, and that may not be doable.

3. Lovey Smith, Illinois. Why this man is still the Head Coach of Illinois is anyone's guess. Last year did show some improvement, but the fact remains that 4-8 is his best record in 3 years at Illinois. 3 of his 4 wins last season came against Kent State, Western Illinois, and Rutgers. The 2019 schedule has no Power 5 teams on it's non-con schedule and Rutgers at home. Will Illinois settle for another 4 win season? If so, why?

4. Chip Kelly, UCLA. Surprised? Shocked? We all know that there is no way UCLA will fire Kelly, but that does not mean that they should not get rid of him. Look at the facts. His team went 3-9 last season which included a win against USC, who also did terrible. Things are only getting worse for Kelly. He has lost several players who have left the team for various reasons. He had a terrible recruiting class which ended up 43rd nationally and between 7th and 9th in the Pac 12. This season's schedule includes games at Cincinnati, Washington State, Arizona, Stanford, Utah and USC, plus home games against San Diego State and Oklahoma. 6 wins seems to be a daunting task, but another 3 win season is unacceptable. Something is wrong at UCLA.

5. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan. How long is Michigan going to settle for being 2nd best in the Big 10? or 3rd best? or 4th best? Harbaugh ended what would have been a highly successful season by being destroyed by Ohio State and hammered by Florida in their Bowl Game. In 4 years at Michigan, Harbaugh has never lost less than 3 games. Habaugh is a good HC, but he has always been unable to win the big game in his college career. He has never one a conference championship in college ball. This year is his best chance. He gets Notre Dame, Michigan State, and Ohio State at home. IF he cannot do it this season, it is time to move on.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

good stuff........ i think i read that rutgers and maybe illinois can't fund the buyouts

as per my opinion, not sure that constant treadmill is the answer. i thought both teams were making good progres, illinois especially

i doubt anyone else is going to do better than harbaugh at michigan

USC should do better in general... haven't had a glory stretch since the 1970s except for pete carrol years. remember charles white?

UCLA is perhaps the most interesting.. Chip Kelly has seemingly created little buzz, which is surprising.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    good stuff........ i think i read that rutgers and maybe illinois can't fund the buyouts

as per my opinion, not sure that constant treadmill is the answer. i thought both teams were making good progres, illinois especially

i doubt anyone else is going to do better than harbaugh at michigan

USC should do better in general... haven't had a glory stretch since the 1970s except for pete carrol years. remember charles white?

UCLA is perhaps the most interesting.. Chip Kelly has seemingly created little buzz, which is surprising.
    It is almost as if Kelly just wanted a paycheck. UCLA's AD Guerrero is notorious for not firing his head Football Coaches. He is one of the worst AD's around. Just look at his once proud hoops program.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Pac-12 sucks, Top MW teams beat up pac-12. Already took UCLA soul last year in Rose Bowl & Arizona ST at Las Vegas bowl, Now time to string em up at USC. Big Dummy will be on suicide watch when Dogs celebrate on his field behind Tedford's coaching

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    Pac-12 sucks, Top MW teams beat up pac-12. Already took UCLA soul last year in Rose Bowl & Arizona ST at Las Vegas bowl, Now time to string em up at USC. Big Dummy will be on suicide watch when Dogs celebrate on his field behind Tedford's coaching
    You are going to get your tail kicked arsehole. Are you going to the game so I can personally rap your arse around your big mouth? Fresno State is a 2nd rate school in a 2nd rate conference. Fresno State fans are 2nd rate fools who smoke too much weed and are afraid tht they will get their tails kicked.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    You are going to get your tail kicked arsehole. Are you going to the game so I can personally rap your arse around your big mouth? Fresno State is a 2nd rate school in a 2nd rate conference. Fresno State fans are 2nd rate fools who smoke too much weed and are afraid tht they will get their tails kicked.
    Pac-12 gets beat up every bowl season, record is terrible in bowl games. Crap league

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    Pac-12 gets beat up every bowl season, record is terrible in bowl games. Crap league
    i'm a PAC-12 guy but i agree............ is the problem in the trenches? not enough hogs in california? i think this is a big factor but there are others.

shouldn't be losing to MWC teams...... and don't get me wrong, i'm a massive Fresno State/Tedford fan.

gojetsgomoxies

i need to back track partially on my rutgers/illinois progress comment...... illinois arguably made alot of progress. rutgers didn't.

EDIT: further analysis made things more complex........ illinois won 4 games, rutgers 1 game. illinois had an extra laugher FCS win. but rutgers was actually quite competitive keeping scores highly respectable against outstanding teams. illinois wasn't.
    Last edited by gojetsgomoxies; 02-14-19 at 05:46 PM.

bettingman6
    bettingman6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

How is Willie Taggart not on the list? He should probably be #1.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Willie Taggart and Clay Helton need wins really, really bad.

I think Chip has a bit of rope there, but if he doesn't recruit, he's not going to outscheme anyone anymore.

How about Gus Malzahn? Vandy just extended Mason. Nobody else in the SEC is really on the hot seat.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Taggart is a terrible HC, but Florida State will not cut him just yet. They will give him at least one more season after this one, which is already filled with built in excuses for Taggart.

bettingman6
    bettingman6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

Bob Davie at New Mexico is on a super hot seat. He was only retained after his second straight 3-9 season because of the buyout. Randy Edsall is another Group of 5 guy on an extremely hot seat.

Anyway, Chip Kelly isn't going anywhere after this year. Even if UCLA goes 3-9 again this year (which I think is unlikely), his tenure at Oregon will give him a benefit of the doubt that he can turn things around.
    Last edited by bettingman6; 08-18-19 at 10:45 PM.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    How about Gus Malzahn? Nobody else in the SEC is really on the hot seat.
    This.

He is coming off an off season where NFL officials were calling Auburn one of the worse coached teams in college on the NFL draft and that their players drop in the draft because of that. They have games at FL, T A&M, & LSU with UGA and Bama at home. They may have a good returning D line (and Kevin Steele is the bright spot on their coaching staff), and may even have a mainly returning underachieving O line but I am not certain that they can get past the Ducks in week 1. I also will be yelling for the Ducks, as I hate Auburn. There is a chance they will go 7-5 or 6-6 this year. And that is giving them Miss State and Ole Miss. (Sorry Hogs)

gojetsgomoxies

seems consensus idea that UCLA is going to be much much better this year. apparently tons of returning D starters and they played much better down stretch last year.

gojetsgomoxies

taggart at FSU is interesting.......