dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Saturday minor bowl games

I have been studying these 5 or 6 games now for a couple of days. IMO, they are very difficult games. I can usually at least get a feel for a game. As of right now, I have absolutely nothing. Add to that the fact that I know basically nothing about almost every team--no preconceived thoughts. I would seriously love to hear some opinions by some of you guys. did you spend any time on these games?

No thought by you guys is unimportant. thanks!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I think Arizona State is very lucky to even be in a Bowl Game. Arizona gave them their last win. Fresno State is for real. Beating Boise State in Boise is never an easy task. They have one of the better defenses around. They are also trying to prove a point, showing that they can beat the Power 5 teams. The line is now Fresno State -5, up from a 3 1/2 point opener. I think that Fresno State is a solid play here.

As far as the rest of the first 5 games, I agree with you. I know very little about the teams involved and nothing stands out for me.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

good, anything else guys/gals.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Georgia Southern can put the beat down on Eastern Michigan.
    Welcome to Dixie.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Georgia Southern can put the beat down on Eastern Michigan.
    Welcome to Dixie.
    I think, but I am not sure but I think most of the guys on ESPN love E Michigan. the bear and his crew, I might be mistaken but I think so.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Only bet I made for Saturday thus far is asu tt under 24.5 (but I lean the game under as well). Harry’s absence is massive imo, from a targets (114!) and talent perspective. I think it’ll lead asu to playing more run oriented. I didn’t lay the points because asu has played in so many tight games. Neither team is particularly explosive and Fresno boasts a top ten s&p+ defense.

App state/mid tenn spread and total look spot on to me.
    Utah state/north Texas should be a good game but there’s a lot of variance potential with Wells gone. Lean over there with two quality qbs and poor pass defenses.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    Only bet I made for Saturday thus far is asu tt under 24.5 (but I lean the game under as well). Harry’s absence is massive imo, from a targets (114!) and talent perspective. I think it’ll lead asu to playing more run oriented. I didn’t lay the points because asu has played in so many tight games. Neither team is particularly explosive and Fresno boasts a top ten s&p+ defense.

Utah state/north Texas should be a good game but there’s a lot of variance potential with Wells gone. Lean over there with two quality qbs and poor pass defenses.
    thanks, I will check these thoughts out. good stuff.

Wrongside
    Only Backdoor'd; never backdoor
    Wrongside's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 773

I wish AZ State was playing somebody easier. I typically like an overachiever such as Herm to win his first bowl game....much of that advantage is usually due to the long layoff, however, where they are treating the game like the Super Bowl. I was sad to see this pairing because Fresno State is good!

Underlying, perhaps obvious, point to bowl games is that they are a different beast.

Fresno State always going to be pumped up to beat a PAC 12 team, but also pac 12 may be out to prove a point this bowl season. Did I mention I hate this pairing? Could have been two easy wins, if they both were playing about 70% of the field

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I blindly taking every dog Saturday you can’t get hurt

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

PAC-12 getting smoked this bowl season again, First up AZ ST to get punched in the teeth

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post

Arizona State tt Under 24 was not a bad play with Harry playing. They were held to under 24 5 times during the season with him.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    PAC-12 getting smoked this bowl season again, First up AZ ST to get punched in the teeth
    Then Fresno State, as usual, gets their ass kicked all over the Coliseum by USC on the Saturday before Labor Day 2019. Notice how Fresno State must go on the road to play decent Power 5 teams? They go to USC three times, UCLA twice, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Arizona State. NONE of those teams play in Fresno. This is because Fresno State has a crappy Stadium, crappy fans, and a crappy city.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Don't get why the line has dropped to from 9 to 7.5 with Utah State? Yeah....Utah State's coach bailed for Tx Tech, but NT's coach is on the rumor wire too. Utah State is 34th on the Sagarin ratings. N Texas is 80th. Both teams have played easier non Power 5 schedules of course, but US has the 114th toughest schedule. NT is at 139. Utah State has 89 tackles for loss and 3rd in turnovers forced I think. They're much better defensively. NT is 3-2 SU in their last 5 with 2 wins by a fg. I think US is just a cut above and wins by double digits easily.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

NT's coaching rumors have NOTHING to do with the current line. If he bails, then you can say it did, but until then, it is a moot point. You guys have to stop looking for things are are simply not there.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    NT's coaching rumors have NOTHING to do with the current line. If he bails, then you can say it did, but until then, it is a moot point. You guys have to stop looking for things are are simply not there.
    I'm just saying that US's coach leaving shouldn't shake them up that much. Not to mention this game is being played at Albuquerque elevation and Utah should be much more used to that then a team from north Texas.

SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

I have also researched these games

Fresno St
    App St
    GA Southern
    Utah St

no opinion on Tulane game

good luck

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Then Fresno State, as usual, gets their ass kicked all over the Coliseum by USC on the Saturday before Labor Day 2019. Notice how Fresno State must go on the road to play decent Power 5 teams? They go to USC three times, UCLA twice, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Arizona State. NONE of those teams play in Fresno. This is because Fresno State has a crappy Stadium, crappy fans, and a crappy city.
    Because you get you ass whipped in Fresno

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would think taking the over all these games could be a good play

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Don't get why the line has dropped to from 9 to 7.5 with Utah State? Yeah....Utah State's coach bailed for Tx Tech, but NT's coach is on the rumor wire too. Utah State is 34th on the Sagarin ratings. N Texas is 80th. Both teams have played easier non Power 5 schedules of course, but US has the 114th toughest schedule. NT is at 139. Utah State has 89 tackles for loss and 3rd in turnovers forced I think. They're much better defensively. NT is 3-2 SU in their last 5 with 2 wins by a fg. I think US is just a cut above and wins by double digits easily.
    Fred, I had the same exact thought and I was actually thinking about fading Utah State, but I believe them to be the much better team. Hey, I know often the better team doesn't cover in bowls, that is why I give the dog much credit in bowl games.

you know I don't know what this is worth because I barely gave it a second thought when I heard it decades ago. but it is a true story. when I booked I had two cousins I believe who seemed to have much better luck in bowl games and this happened year after year. they would play 20 time RR, which meant they would lay 360 for a return of 1200. Now naturally that was if they won all three games. Speaking of parlays if you must play them betting RR might be the better play IMO. you have three chances out of eight of not losing, parlay only one chance out of four. both not good plays either way.

but back to the story, these kids said to me we play primarily favorites in the early bowls and primarily dogs in the later bowls, the better matchups. I don't remember doing much research on this even though I should have, I don't believe it has much validity, I just think they were two pretty lucky guys. If I remember this year maybe I will check it out. but it is interesting, but just another gamblers theory and most of them aren't worth ten cents.
    Last edited by dante1; 12-14-18 at 05:13 PM.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Fred, I had the same exact thought and I was actually thinking about fading Utah State, but I believe them to be the much better team. Hey, I know often the better team doesn't cover in bowls, that is why I give the dog much credit in bowl games.

you know I don't know what this is worth because I barely gave it a second thought when I heard it decades ago. but it is a true story. when I booked I had two cousins I believe who seemed to have much better luck in bowl games and this happened year after year. they would play 20 time RR, which meant they would lay 360 for a return of 1200. Now naturally that was if they won all three games. Speaking of parlays if you must play them betting RR might be the better play IMO. you have three chances out of eight of not losing, parlay only one chance out of four. both not good plays either way.

but back to the story, those kids said to me we play primarily favorites in the early bowls and primarily dogs in the later bowls, the better matchups. I don't remember doing much research on this even though I should have, I don't believe it has much validity, I just think they were two pretty lucky guys. If I remember this year maybe I will check it out. but it is interesting, but just another gamblers theory and most of them aren't worth ten cents.
    I thought the saying went dogs early and favs late in bowl season, shows how much we know!! Lol.

cashil
    cashil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 788

Lafayette and Fresno are my plays.

Like north texas but that’s admittedly a bit of a homer pick

Amay537
    Amay537's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1753

Georgia southern game goes under. Utah State/northTexas goes over by halftime.

Dakota99
    Dakota99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2658

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    I think, but I am not sure but I think most of the guys on ESPN love E Michigan. the bear and his crew, I might be mistaken but I think so.
    Bear has EMU and Midd Ten tomorrow, Stanford Steve on Tulane. I think one of them mentioned the under in the Vegas Bowl as well

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I thought the saying went dogs early and favs late in bowl season, shows how much we know!! Lol.
    well, I never heard it, either way, that was simply what two of my players believed, or said they believed. I probably think both ideas are BS, but who knows. Maybe, someday some genius will find a way to beat sports, in the long run that is.

Amay537
    Amay537's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1753

Had anyone else noticed that utah state has covered the over bu halftime in almost every game they played the past 2 months? Throw the championship game out, and they have annihilated teams.. I dont see north Texas being an elite defensive team... and I like their offense a bit. The over, which keeps going up, seems good. I'm going with the first half tho. In case north Texas comes out flat.. I believe utah state will get 60 by halftime, like they have a couple times this season.

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

Agree with the general idea that these games are tough to figure. As the bowl season progresses the games will get a bit more predictable. I really agree that the Pac-12 is crap/overvalued and to fade them at every chance.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

My research says take the points in all games tomorrow. Favs would have a hard time covering.

flakeandbake
    flakeandbake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4278

Love this thread

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by flakeandbake View Post
    Love this thread
    Yeah, good stuff. Good thoughts. My 2-cents...I'm not sure the Transient Coach angle is a good one.

If u look around, almost every team has coaches on the move. It's the nature of the beast in CollFB. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Just saying that it's prevalent throughout the country.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

And Good Luck to everyone in the Bowl Contest. Should be fun.

JoeCool20
    SBR Poker is ALL Freakin Wild Donk Luck!
    JoeCool20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 727

If my dad was alive he'd beat my ass for betting a teaser, but since it is just betpoints on here,

I have teased Utah St and Fresno St. But I'd never tell anyone to bet a teaser, unless I hated them.

It will seem absolutely unbeatable until the games start.

JoeCool20
    SBR Poker is ALL Freakin Wild Donk Luck!
    JoeCool20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 727

Quote Originally Posted by Amay537 View Post
    Had anyone else noticed that utah state has covered the over bu halftime in almost every game they played the past 2 months? Throw the championship game out, and they have annihilated teams.. I dont see north Texas being an elite defensive team... and I like their offense a bit. The over, which keeps going up, seems good. I'm going with the first half tho. In case north Texas comes out flat.. I believe utah state will get 60 by halftime, like they have a couple times this season.

I have UT ST in the first half for betpoints. the line is like -7 but the first half is -4.5! Those often win when they goose them up by more than what 50% of the actual line is.
    I too see Ut St overwhelming NT in the 1st half with their lightning fast pace.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool20 View Post
    If my dad was alive he'd beat my ass for betting a teaser, but since it is just betpoints on here,

I have teased Utah St and Fresno St. But I'd never tell anyone to bet a teaser, unless I hated them.

It will seem absolutely unbeatable until the games start.
    wow, isn't that the truth. you think this teaser can't lose. Once in a while, I play one or two for kicks and giggles. usually the NFL and usually dogs.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    Because you get you ass whipped in Fresno
    A perfect example of their crappy fans.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

"I think Arizona State is very lucky to even be in a Bowl Game. Arizona gave them their last win. Fresno State is for real. Beating Boise State in Boise is never an easy task. They have one of the better defenses around. They are also trying to prove a point, showing that they can beat the Power 5 teams. The line is now Fresno State -5, up from a 3 1/2 point opener. I think that Fresno State is a solid play here.

As far as the rest of the first 5 games, I agree with you. I know very little about the teams involved and nothing stands out for me."

"Arizona State tt Under 24 was not a bad play with Harry playing. They were held to under 24 5 times during the season with him."

2-0 which means I have now won more money than 90% of you people will because you cannot afford to wager as much as I do. If any one of you doubters would have looked at my Spreadsheet, you would have noticed that Fresno was one of my two picks. Let's see if anyone is smart enough to figure out what the other wager is.

12 Last