TonySpreads
    TonySpreads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Tony's Picks for Saturday

Hey everyone welcome back to Tony’s picks. Looks like we got a big crowd today! I am very excited to announce that we finally have our first Saturday of the season with a full slate of games!

Noon: Texas @ Maryland (+14)

Texas comes into this season with expectations of competing for a Big 12 Championship while Maryland’s goal will likely be a bowl game and to not finish in the bottom two of the Big Ten East. By the way, these conferences still make no sense to me. The Big 12 has 10 teams in it, the Big 10 has 12 teams in it. Makes sense right? Anyways, Texas is absolutely the more talented team in this matchup. However, these two teams played last year in Texas and Maryland won 51-41. Both teams bring back a lot of those guys that played in that game. I just don’t see how Texas turns last years results around by 25 points. I think Texas wins, but it won’t be a blowout. Maryland has a great offensive line with several skilled running backs. Maryland should be able to eat some clock and churn out first downs, ultimately keeping the game fairly close. It should be noted that Maryland will be playing with a heavy heart as one of there Freshman players died from a June workout. This incident has caused a heavy investigation into the Maryland Athletic Department.

Tony’s Verdict:
    What does Maryland do? Crab Cakes and Football! Take the points here and put a unit on Maryland.

Maryland (+14) 1 Unit

Afternoon: Marshall (+2) @ Miami (OH)

This isn’t the most sexy game to watch in the afternoon but it’s my favorite gambling pick of the day. This Marshall team brings back 18(!) of 22 starters from last season. They not only have one of the best defenses in Conference USA, but possibly the Country. They have a Graduate Transfer QB in Alex Thomson who has been getting some NFL looks. They have an excellent Offensive Line and a pretty good backfield. Miami (OH) is an experienced team as well and brings back 16 of 22 starters from last season. They lost to Marshall last year but actually outgained them by 200+ yards.

Tony’s Verdict:
    We are Marshall! Pretty horrible movie in my opinion. I’m just supposed to believe that Matthew McConaughey is this intense football that rallies a whole school together? This is the actor that played the creepy old guy who went to high school parties in Dazed and Confused. Lucky for us, McConaughy is not the coach of Marshall. Put 2 units on them and their fantastic defense.

Marshall (+2) 2 Units

Night: Michigan (-1) @ Notre Dame

This along with the Washington-Auburn game are the games of the weekend with plenty of final four implications. Michigan brings back most of their team and they won 8 games last year with some of the worst college football quarterback play you’ll ever see. If you watched the Amazon Documentary Series like I did, you would also know that not only were last year’s quarterbacks horrendous, they are incredibly unlikeable. This year they have Shea Patterson who once upon a time was the savior of the Ole Miss football team. Patterson’s transfer to Michigan immediately gave Jim Harbaugh his most talented QB since joining the University. Jim Harbaugh really needs a big time season or he could be on the hot seat. And with games against 5 top 12 teams this year, it’s pretty important for Michigan to get off to a good start.

Brandon Wimbush will be starting at QB for Notre Dame. This is a QB that had underwhelming performances against almost all the good defenses he faced last season. They also lose 2 first round picks on the offensive line and Josh Adams left for the NFL.

Tony’s Verdict:
    My grandfather would be turning in his grave from seeing this but put 2 units on Michigan. They have a fantastic defense and a great QB. Notre Dame's offense will be no match for Michigan's defense with the departure of 2 1st round Offensive Lineman.

Michigan 2 units
    West Coast Late Game: Navy (-12) & Hawaii

Hawaii won a game last week against Colorado St., but trust me this is not a good team. Phil Steele (CFB Expert) had Hawaii ranked in the bottom 5 of the entire NCAA before the season started. Beating a crappy Colorado St. team should not change that ranking too much. On the other hand, Navy is actually a good team. They have an 1,000+ yard rusher at QB coming back along with a very good offensive line. Even though Navy runs the ball every play and keeps the clock moving, they actually scored 30 points or more in almost half their games last year. They should be able to rip through this weak Hawaii team and cover the spread.

Tony’s Verdict:
    Thank you for your service! Support the troops and put 2 units on Navy.

Navy (-12) - 2 Units

BONUS PICK:
    Washington (+2 ) - 1 Unit
    Just because we all have to watch this game, I’m putting a unit on Washington. They have such a talented team and arguably have the best QB-RB combo in the country in Browning and Gaskins.