Meet the candidates for the No. 1 pick in 2019, and how they dominate

Matt Bowen
ESPN PLUS

Quarterbacks were the talk of the 2018 NFL draft class. Now it's the defensive linemen -- Nick Bosa, Ed Oliver, Clelin Ferrell, Rashan Gary and others -- getting all of the buzz in the Class of 2019. But when it comes to who will be the No. 1 overall pick next April, we have a handful of early candidates, and we know NFL teams love to take quarterbacks, pass-rushers or left tackles there.

Let's take a look at those candidates for the top pick in 2019, and how each shows up on tape. I'm looking for special traits -- some prospects are more consistent than others, but all of them flash those elite qualities. I'm even including a few wild cards at the end.

The guys up front

These are the pass-rushers -- on the edge and in the interior -- who could go No. 1, plus the best offensive tackle in the class:

Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 263
2017 stats: 16 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 34 total tackles

How he dominates: NFL-ready technique

Bosa has the ideal frame that NFL scouts look for on the edge, and the high-level athletic traits are there, too. It's the technique, however, that really pops for me when I watch Bosa's film. The junior could step into an NFL game right now and get sacks off the edge. He has the hands on contact to disengage blockers, a solid rip move, and the ability to convert speed to power. And the footwork to get offensive tackles back on their heels. Just check out the highlights in the video clip above. Remember, in this NFL, technique wins. And he is ahead of the curve there. Bosa could have an immediate impact as a rookie in 2019, just as his brother, Joey, did with the San Diego Chargers in 2016, when he had 10.5 sacks in 12 games after being taken No. 3 overall.

First game: vs. Oregon State on Saturday, Sept. 1, at noon ET on ABC/WatchESPN.

Game you have to watch: vs. Michigan on Saturday, Nov. 24, at noon ET on Fox. Give me Bosa vs. Jim Harbaugh and new Wolverines quarterback Shea Patterson in the Horseshoe.
Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 292
2017 stats: 16.5 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, 73 total tackles

How he dominates: Relentless disruption

There hasn't been a defensive tackle drafted No. 1 overall since Ohio State's Dan Wilkinson in 1994, but Oliver's ability to flat-out wreck things up front absolutely jumps off the film. He's a true disruptor, an interior force with the movement skills of an off-the-ball linebacker packed into an almost-300 pound body. While Oliver doesn't have the pass-rush ceiling of Aaron Donald, his burst off the ball and power at the point of attack allows him to create instant chaos. Just watch him blow these plays up in the video clip above. And the effort level? It's awesome. This guy never stops. Give me that all day as a coach. There's a reason he's being talked about as the best player in college football -- and a sleeper candidate for the Heisman trophy.

First game: at Rice on Saturday, Sept. 1, at noon ET on CBSSN.

Game you have to watch: vs. Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 8, at noon ET on ABC/ESPN2/WatchESPN. A national audience gets to check out Oliver against Arizona and dynamic signal-caller Khalil Tate.
Photo by Zach Bolinger/Icon Sportswire
Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 283
2017 stats: 12 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks, 66 total tackles
How he dominates: Freakish athleticism

Watch Gary close on the ball carrier, wrap inside on a twist stunt or hunt down the quarterback. That's where you see his talent. Gary has a super rare combination of speed and power built into a massive frame. And I don't think he's even come close to reaching his ceiling -- he has only seven career sacks. At Michigan, the coaching staff moves Gary around on the defensive front, so there is some versatility to his game. In the pros, however, Gary projects as an interior player. The upside here is legit, and don't be surprised if Gary vaults up draft boards this season. He's going to flash his athleticism and produce in Year 3 at U-M.

First game: at Notre Dame on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBC.

Game you have to watch: vs. Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 13. I want to see Gary line up vs. the nation's top offensive line when the Badgers come to Ann Arbor.

Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 265
2017 stats: 18 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 66 total tackles
How he dominates: Speed off the ball

Ferrell is one of four legit NFL prospects on a loaded defensive front at Clemson, as Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins and Austin Bryant could all be first-round picks in 2019. I'm going with Ferrell as a potential No. 1 pick because of his ability to get off the ball at a prime position. The Tigers pass-rusher's explosive burst to get a jump at the snap off the edge consistently flashes on film. And that allowed Ferrell to slap down on the hands of opposing offensive tackles, bend and close on quarterbacks. Check out the clip above for an example of his explosion. With the size and pass-rushing traits that translate to the next level, Ferrell should be in the mix at No. 1 if he can have another productive season.

First game: vs. Furman on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 12:20 p.m. ET on ACC Network.

Game you have to watch: vs. NC State on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's Ferrell and that loaded Clemson defensive front vs. a potential first-round pick in quarterback Ryan Finley.
Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 325

How he dominates: Brick wall on the blindside

Though there have been only two offensive tackles taken No. 1 in the past 20 years -- Jake Long (2008) and Eric Fisher (2013) -- Little could join the list. He has the footwork to climb in the run game to pick up linebackers at the second level or to pin edge defenders inside, like he does on the explosive play in the clip above. He can really move and has the athleticism of a future stalwart NFL left tackle. Little has shown he can take on power off the edge in pass pro, and he can redirect defenders, though he needs to be more consistent. Little's size and athletic ability show up at a major position of need for NFL teams.

First game: vs. Texas Tech in Houston on Saturday, Sept. 1, at noon ET on ESPN/WatchESPN.

Game you have to watch: vs. Alabama on Saturday, Sept. 15, at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN/WatchESPN. Look for Little to draw matchups against Bama's Anfernee Jennings on the edge.

This QB class has flaws

Heading into the 2017 college football season, everyone knew who Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield was, but no one pegged him as a potential top-five pick in the draft. You know what happened next.

So while there's no consensus yet on the top quarterback in the 2019 class, there are several guys who are in the mix to be first off the board in April. All show flashes of dominance, but they all have flaws, too.

While we wait for this season to play out, and keep an eye on quarterbacks such as NC State's Ryan Finley and Iowa's Nate Stanley, here are three prospects I'm focused on the most in 2018:

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 225
2017 stats: 242 of 419 passing (57.8 percent) for 3,964 yards, with 44 touchdowns, 13 interceptions; 74.4 Total QBR (No. 20 in FBS)

What I want to see more of in 2018: Lock has the size and upper-level arm talent that propels quarterbacks up the board during the draft process, and he has enough athleticism to get by. It's Lock's arm that stands out on tape -- he can sling it. Check out the throw he made against Texas in the clip above. That's a rocket to beat coverage. Lock's erratic accuracy concerns me, however. He's completing only 56.2 percent of his passes through 25 starts for the Tigers, and there are times when he misses easy throws. If Lock is going to grab that top spot in 2019, he has to show NFL scouts much more control as a passer, and he will get that opportunity under new coordinator Derek Dooley.

First game: vs. UT Martin on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 4 p.m. ET on SEC Network.

Game you have to watch: vs. Georgia on Saturday, Sept. 22. Circle this game for Lock vs. the Dawgs' defense and top-tier cornerback DeAndre Baker.

Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 215
2017 stats: 246 of 370 passing (66.5 percent) for 3,158 yards, with 18 touchdowns, 6 interceptions; 4 rushing touchdowns; 67.2 Total QBR (No. 39 in FBS)

What I want to see more of in 2018: Stidham operates in a heavy play-action Auburn system with run-pass options and key screens. It's designed to get the ball out of his hands quickly. I do see "wow" passing traits from Stidham, particularly when he attacks vertically off those run looks, as he did against Texas A&M in the clip above. That's a great ball. And I loved Stidham's toughness in the win over Alabama. An area of improvement I'd like to see? More steadiness playing inside the pocket. Too often, Stidham bails outside. And while he can win with both ball placement and velocity when throwing on the move, Stidham must show that he can hang in the pocket to dice up defenses. He'll get a huge chance to start the season, as Auburn takes on a talented Washington defense in Week 1.

First game: vs. Washington in Atlanta on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC/WatchESPN.

Game you have to watch: at Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 24. It's the Iron Bowl on Thanksgiving weekend. Can Stidham beat the Tide for the second straight season?

Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 233
2017 stats: 139 of 206 passing (67.5 percent) for 1,983 yards, with 15 touchdowns, 5 interceptions; 5 rushing touchdowns; 80.1 Total QBR (No. 12 in FBS)

What I want to see more of in 2018: With above-average athleticism and the arm strength to dial up some heat on the ball, Herbert has the tools to fit in today's more modern NFL systems. Check out the throw in the clip above. He puts the ball into a tight window against Oregon State in the red zone, showing anticipation and velocity. I need to see Herbert develop more as a consistent rhythm thrower in 2018, however. That includes his eyes and reads to get the ball out to vacated zones or backside targets. The ceiling to be the top pick is there, and the Ducks will score a lot of points this season.

First game: vs. Bowling Green on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 8 p.m. ET on Pac-12 Network.

Game you have to watch: vs. Washington on Saturday, Oct. 13. The Huskies' secondary will feature multiple NFL prospects. This is a good midseason test for Herbert.

The wild cards

Here's a quick look at three players who don't have the positional value of a No. 1 overall pick, but whose tape pops with instant-impact ability:

Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 184There has been only one defensive back to go No. 1 overall in the draft -- and that was in 1956 (Gary Glick). So while Williams has the makeup of a top NFL corner, it's unlikely he goes above a quarterback, pass-rusher or blindside tackle. Still, I really like Williams' tape. He showed the coverage skills and ability to finish on the ball in 2017 -- he had six interceptions. I also like the way he challenges wide receivers.

A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 230The Class of 2019's best wideout uses his big frame to create leverage against defenders at the top of his routes, and he's dynamic after the catch. He put up 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns last season. After the catch is where his lateral quickness shows up -- he averaged 16.7 yards per catch in 2017. There's a reason he's the top receiver prospect right now, and it's those playmaking skills that stand out.

Devin White, LB, LSU

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 240OK, so it's unlikely that a linebacker who isn't a pure pass-rusher will go No. 1 overall, but I just like White as a perfect three-down defender who can impact all phases of today's NFL game. His natural ability to find the ball in the run game -- he had 133 tackles last season -- paired with his speed make him a great fit for a team that needs a roving linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. And White also showed some pass-rushing traits last season, adding 4.5 sacks.