Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Cris Carter was on First Take this morning saying they shouldn't go to 8 teams because the players' families cannot afford to go to the extra games? What? Are college basketball parents more well off than football parents? Why do I watch these shows?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Could even argue that the big 10 dominated the bowls and had 0 playoff teams. Multiple arguments for 4 more teams.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    If they do 8 teams, then there should be no Group of Five auto bid and UCF still wouldn't be in.
    Don't base it on point spreads and power rankings and base it on what actually happens. Common sense says UCF deserved a chance by beating the same team that beat both teams in the championship. 4 teams and 5 major conferences is all kinds of stupid even though the pac12 sucks.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Don't base it on point spreads and power rankings and base it on what actually happens. Common sense says UCF deserved a chance by beating the same team that beat both teams in the championship. 4 teams and 5 major conferences is all kinds of stupid even though the pac12 sucks.
    You are using ultimate result to justify your argument, you can't do that. Pretty obvious USF would not have been in with 8 teams when they were ranked #12.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lt,
    could UCF beat Bama if they played like they did yesterday against Auburn?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Lt,
    could UCF beat Bama if they played like they did yesterday against Auburn?
    NO. Bama defense would have shut them down.

PAULYPOKER

Lol you sure you are not a member on that fukked up committee?

UCF had Auburn down on their knees until 3rd qtr........

Auburn comes storming back to take the lead and keep it 98% of the time...

UCF comes back again and destroys their will which happens 2% of the time.........

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Lol you sure you are not a member on that fukked up committee?

UCF had Auburn down on their knees until 3rd qtr........

Auburn comes storming back to take the lead and keep it 98% of the time...

UCF comes back again and destroys their will which happens 2% of the time.........
    You are overlooking fact that UCF had huge motivational edge in that game. If Auburn had the championship aspirations that Alabama had in their dominant defensive performance last night, would have been different game. People disregard that all the time, but it is a legitimately important key handicapping angle. It was also reflected in the line, if it were regular season or if game has championship ramifications, Auburn would have opened up -13.5 instead of 9.5.

PAULYPOKER

NCAA College Football Predictive Rankings & Ratings
    Home Advantage: +3.5
    2017-2018

Rank Team Rating v 1-10 v 11-25 v 26-40 High Low Last
    1 Alabama (12-1) 29.6 1-1 3-0 0-0 1 2 1
    2 Ohio State (12-2) 27.4 2-1 2-1 1-0 1 4 2
    3 Penn State (11-2) 26.6 1-1 3-0 0-1 3 11 3
    4 Clemson (12-2) 24.3 1-1 4-0 4-0 2 7 4
    5 Georgia (13-1) 24.0 3-1 1-0 1-0 5 20 8
    6 Oklahoma (12-2) 23.4 1-1 4-0 1-1 1 10 6
    7 Wisconsin (13-1) 22.6 0-1 4-0 1-0 4 15 7
    8 Auburn (10-4) 21.3 2-2 1-2 0-0 5 16 5
    9 Washington (10-3) 20.3 0-1 0-1 3-0 4 14 9
    10 Notre Dame (10-3) 18.4 0-1 2-2 4-0 4 22 11

Those are the REAL top ten...........

How you like that for a wrench in the gears of the playoff system?

More Rankings...

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Tough to do without throwing the whole tradition of CFB out the window. I would love it but won't happen.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

We will never know because they never played the game. You cannot assume that Bama's defense would shut down UCF when they couldn't shut down Auburn a few weeks ago. Now if Bama played UCF 10 times, I think they win 8 or 9 out of 10 BUT it's that 1 time where anything can happen and we've all seen it happen before. How many people would have taken the Patriots when they were down 20+ and were like +4400 in the Superbowl??? IT'S WHY WE PLAY THE GAMES.

If they do 8 teams, then there should be no Group of Five auto bid and UCF still wouldn't be in.
    There absolutely should be a group of five auto bid. You could easily have 1 conference that is much better than another conference BUT they beat each other up, so they all could have 2 or 3 losses why some weak conference may have a team undefeated. Let the conference decide who they want to send as a representative and the committee chooses the other 3 teams. UCF would have definitely been in the top 8 even with a shitty schedule.

But, I like my idea of an UP TO 8 team playoff. Most years you won't need 8. This year for example, you could already eliminate Wisconsin, Miami, Stanford, TCU and Auburn for losing in their conference title games. That left only four 1 loss teams in UGA, Bama, Clemson and OU, plus undefeated UCF. I don't think OSU should have gotten in with 2 losses (1 very bad Iowa loss) nor USC. If Wisconsin didn't play in the B10 title game, then they should have made the playoff but by losing that game, they were eliminated.

You had 5 teams with 1 loss or less. That should have been the playoffs. The lower 2 teams would have to play a play in game the week before. That would have been Bama and UCF. The other 3 would have had byes.

Some years, you may have 6 teams which means 2 play in games like the NCAA tournament. Very rarely are you going to find 8 teams deserving. Now, I'm all for more football, so I don't mind 8 but it should be the 5 P5 teams that each conference elects (no chance for BS there) and then a committee that chooses the remaining 3. We already have rules for ND and non P5 teams making New Years bowls, so the committee would be bound to that still. Which means that UCF would have gotten in. Who would be the other 2??? That would have been controversy too. Should it be 1 loss Wisconsin, 2 loss PSU or Washington? I think if you make it to your conference title game that THAT's YOUR PLAYOFF. Lose that and you should not have another shot, because it's not fair to the team that just beat you to have to play you again.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

UCF is 52nd nationally in scoring defense and 94th in defensive yards allowed against a mediocre (72nd) schedule. In yardage allowed, it ranks behind such powerhouses as Maryland, which won, what, four games, and Rutgers. If the UCF players and coaches want to say they're national champs, good for them.

Brutus84
    Brutus84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

No teams should have a bye if they did playoffs with more than 4 teams. There isn’t really a difference between 1-4 teams. As you can see yesterday

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

College football a joke. Not one exceptional team on both sides of the ball in country. There weren't 4 teams worthy of a playoff much less 8.
    Just like NFL, garbage product.

temple2010
    temple2010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4189

You are overlooking fact that UCF had huge motivational edge in that game. If Auburn had the championship aspirations that Alabama had in their dominant defensive performance last night, would have been different game. People disregard that all the time, but it is a legitimately important key handicapping angle. It was also reflected in the line, if it were regular season or if game has championship ramifications, Auburn would have opened up -13.5 instead of 9.5.
    Exactly correct!! That's the only way to handicap the bowl games that are unrelated to the championship games-hit ucf on the ml line at + 360.

15805's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16182

Auburn was up so high after winning against Alabama that a natural let down happened when they
    played Georgia and lost, BTW after they smashed Georgia in the regular season game.
    Playing Ga. & Alabama in a matter of 7 days is a predicament no team would want.

For this game they had three or four weeks to repair, they were ready & they did not want
    to end their season on a 2 game losing streak. Motivation to win this game was high
    for Auburn don't fool yourselves.

Did Auburn play a team who had the where with all & uncanny talent of MacKenzie Milton
    this season absolutely not. That's the singular reason that Auiburns promising season ended badly.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

Can not change it. If there was 8, the #9 would be proven to be worthy...

Can't have a 5000 team playoff...I like it how it is.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

damnit , no way to appease everyone.
    Blew up the BCS, which I thought got it right , add on no conflicts of interest like this committee .
    Now we want 8 , then 9 , 10, 11 and 12 will bitch just like March Madness .
    When was there 8 teams worthy of playing for a title...Sorry but start listing years and the 8 deserving of it ?
    I don't believe it who actually truly deserved it . A toss up , etc not just throwing out teams you like .
    UCF had no business in a discussion of playing for the Title .

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

With 4 teams, maybe 1 or 2 teams feel slighted. Once you make it 8 now 10-15 teams will feel like they should have been in.

I'm fine with going to 8 teams, but the idea that it would settle any debates about who gets in is just silly.

I mean basketball teams still get "snubbed" from the 68 team tournament.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Every year we go through the same old argument. Every year I tell you people the same thing. Now for once, keep your big uneducated mouth shut and listen to ME, because I know what will happen and why. First things first. NO ONE gives a rats ass crap about what you idiots think. You clowns lie about everything. You are so f**king stupid that you have to look at your Social Security Cards to figure out how to spell your own names. Do you fools understand that? No one cares about you or your opinions. You are rarely right to begin with.

Now for the reasons why there will NOT be an 8 team playoff in the near future:

#1. ESPN has an iron lock contract until 2026 and ESPN does NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #2. The University Presidents and Regents do NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #3. The Head Coaches do NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #4. The schools will NEVER accept a plan to cut the number of regular season games because they will lose money.
    #5. The Committee picks the right 4 teams every year as proven by you idiots screaming that they don't. That keeps interest alive.
    #6. The schools simply cannot afford all of the extra travel. They have enough problems finding lodging, food, and entertainment for their teams for at least one game, and in one case, two games.

Now I guarantee you that not one of you fools can come up with a system that does not violate one of those 6 rules, except for the system we have now. Guaranteed. There are rules that can be changed, like not allowing New Years Six conference teams to schedule FCS teams, but that is as far as it goes. Look at this years 4 selections. Alabama played Mercer. Clemson played the Citadel. Georgia played Samford. Only Oklahoma failed to play a FCS team and they played two teams with a combined record of 1-23, with that win coming against, you guessed it, a FCS team. The strongest determinating factor besides won-loss record and conference record should be Strength of Schedule.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Every year we go through the same old argument. Every year I tell you people the same thing. Now for once, keep your big uneducated mouth shut and listen to ME, because I know what will happen and why. First things first. NO ONE gives a rats ass crap about what you idiots think. You clowns lie about everything. You are so f**king stupid that you have to look at your Social Security Cards to figure out how to spell your own names. Do you fools understand that? No one cares about you or your opinions. You are rarely right to begin with.

Now for the reasons why there will NOT be an 8 team playoff in the near future:

#1. ESPN has an iron lock contract until 2026 and ESPN does NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #2. The University Presidents and Regents do NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #3. The Head Coaches do NOT want to expand the playoffs to 8 games.
    #4. The schools will NEVER accept a plan to cut the number of regular season games because they will lose money.
    #5. The Committee picks the right 4 teams every year as proven by you idiots screaming that they don't. That keeps interest alive.
    #6. The schools simply cannot afford all of the extra travel. They have enough problems finding lodging, food, and entertainment for their teams for at least one game, and in one case, two games.

Now I guarantee you that not one of you fools can come up with a system that does not violate one of those 6 rules, except for the system we have now. Guaranteed. There are rules that can be changed, like not allowing New Years Six conference teams to schedule FCS teams, but that is as far as it goes. Look at this years 4 selections. Alabama played Mercer. Clemson played the Citadel. Georgia played Samford. Only Oklahoma failed to play a FCS team and they played two teams with a combined record of 1-23, with that win coming against, you guessed it, a FCS team. The strongest determinating factor besides won-loss record and conference record should be Strength of Schedule.
    On my social security card there is a 10 digit number under my name
    What is that, my phone number???

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

You gotta draw the line at some point. If 8, then what? 10, 16? bye weeks?

This is college football. Kids can't play forever.

PAULYPOKER

How about adopting the NCAAB March madness concept?

I think that would be great as it would bring in insane revenue...........

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

You are using ultimate result to justify your argument, you can't do that. Pretty obvious USF would not have been in with 8 teams when they were ranked #12.
    I think if the committee knew there were 8 teams going to the playoffs... you'd have to sneak UCF in there at #8... being undefeated. They wouldn't really have a choice.

It would be an outrage if they didn't. But since there's only 4 spots... it was easy for the committee to leave them at #12.

PAULYPOKER

Fukk tradition........

If man didn't welcome change, we'd still be in the fukkin stone age..........

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post

So small budget FCS schools can afford to travel to as many as 4 extra games for their football playoff, but 4 big budget FBS schools can't afford to travel 1 extra time in an 8 team playoff (under the format where the top 4 get home games)? Don't you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself you moron?

The only reason there is no real playoff in CFB is the corporate sponsoring and revenue creation in bowl games. Old money uses every ounce of power to keep it, no matter how badly it screws everything up for others. It took 40+ years just to get top ranked teams to even play each other in a bowl game if they weren't already tied into the game via conference attachments.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8991

UCF put up a National Championship Banner.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No will probably never see it though

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

They played every game on their schedule and won. They played a team that was 2-1 against the 2 teams in the National championship game. Not that big of a joke. The didn't have a let down all year. That's extremely difficult! They are Champions! They deserve some spotlight. Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb7223 View Post
    UCF put up a National Championship Banner.

First 12