seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Who does Arizona State think they are???

Fired Todd Graham. WTF??? Why did you steal him from Pittsburgh after one season then if he was not your long term guy???

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

When you get a mistress you make sure she is worth your marriage. This makes absolutely zero sense. I think he is a decent offensive coach.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Graham is nothing special, nor is az st

who cares?

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

They gave him 6 seasons

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

i was just saying the same thing...an 8-4 school goes 8-4 and fires their coach after beating the rival

conclusion is they already have mike norvell lined up

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    They gave him 6 seasons
    They gave him 6 seasons. What did they expect??? PAC 12 championships? State Championships? Arizona state has not been on the national forefront since Jake the Snake, and he is not walking through that door

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    i was just saying the same thing...an 8-4 school goes 8-4 and fires their coach after beating the rival

conclusion is they already have mike norvell lined up
    Who is Mike Norvell?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

off the CFB radar

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    off the CFB radar
    Right. What do they expect from a coach? Been off the radar since Jake the Snake. Firing just to be firing. This is not a Nebraska situation, but then again I would not be surprised to see Mike Riley show up somewhere again.

reigle9

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Who is Mike Norvell?
    memphis coach, old asu oc

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

memphis coach, old asu oc
    Running up the scores in a small conference does not translate to the Power 5 conferences. Justin Fuentez was scoring the same way at Memphis before he left to go to VaTech. VaTech doesn't look like an offensive juggernaut at all. Looks more like Beamer's offense still. Scoring 70 on East Carolina, Tulane, and Cincinnati doesn't mean a lot when you have to score and stop someone with more talent than you have. It reminds me of the Old Houston Cougars run and shoot, when they played the Miami Hurricanes during that shootout era they could not score a single point.

reigle9

i'm not the AD, just stating facts

and big time coaches constantly come from g5 schools, it's kinda how it works in fact

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

i'm not the AD, just stating facts

and big time coaches constantly come from g5 schools, it's kinda how it works in fact
    I'm not arguing with you but that is how teams get a new coach every 3 to 4 years. They are basing the future on past results at a different level of competition. The PAC 12 is going to have teams that can score 50 on ASU every other week. ASU needs to hire someone who can stop somebody, I looked back over Todd Graham's last 2-3 seasons and he routinely lost shootouts, ASU gave up 30+points in conference games, you are going to lose plenty of those games. Just seems like teams try to make a splash instead of trying to win. Win the press conference instead of the games on the field. If ASU is serious about winning they may want to make a run at someone who has won on the Power 5 level instead of letting someone get OTJ training in the big boy conference. If they hire Mike Norvell expecting him to hang 70+points every week on PAC 12 competition they will be highly disappointed.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

28-12 first 3 seasons
    18-19 last 3 seasons

Still just seems crazy all the money these schools waste. I could see if his contract was up letting him go but to pay him $12 million dollars to go away for a school like that seems crazy.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    28-12 first 3 seasons
    18-19 last 3 seasons

Still just seems crazy all the money these schools waste. I could see if his contract was up letting him go but to pay him $12 million dollars to go away for a school like that seems crazy.
    Absolute Crazy to pay someone to leave to pay someone else more to do the same exact thing. That is why I started this thread, at least fire a guy after a loss or losing season to justify the cost.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Dallas Morning News

floating Kevin Sumlin for this job

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Dallas Morning News

He was being floated around for the UCLA earlier last week. Sumlin will be fine, his replacement will be worse. Texas A&M is out of alignment with with who they are. I thought Sumlin did an awesome job taking over and coming from Houston. I thought they played well at home and were decent on the road. But I also believe he would do a better job at a finesse school rather than a power school. Probably why he did so well at Houston

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

How can you justify not firing him but firing Sumlin? I remember Graham making that stupid decision in the bowl game a couple years ago. Hope they cleared out his wristband stash also.

JAKEPEAVY21

Sumlin would be an upgrade

I think he could snare better recruits than Graham and his offense would do very well in the Pac 12

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Sumlin would be an upgrade

I think he could snare better recruits than Graham and his offense would do very well in the Pac 12
    Agreed. The SEC is an arms race. ASU could finesse more wins with offense and decent defense in the Pac 12 than Sumlin could in the SEC. People who watch SEC football versus Pac 12 football know that is you don't have a defensive line you can't stop the run and if you don't have an offensive line you can't pass. The SEC requires a team to be stout on both lines no matter the scheme. Texas AM had the best defensive coordinator in the conference over the last 15 years and couldn't stop anybody. John Chavis has been at Tennessee and LSU during their championship years yet he is just another guy at A&M. Sumlin could dominate one side of the ball and just be decent on defense and probably beat everyone on the schedule but Stanford and USC next year. Washington, USC, UCLA will be back soon with Chip, and Stanford will always be tough, so ASU will win 9 games every now and then but will never win the Pac 12. ASU should be as good as Utah

reigle9

i'm just not seeing how a guy that got fired from half a step up expectations, can be better than a guy that just got fired for realistic expectations

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

lol todd graham is the biggest square on the face of the earth. he will be lucky to coach anywhere again.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

who cares?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

No QB, no identity. Graham won with Taylor Kelly, who he didn't recruit. Team never shows up in the big game, drops games that they should dominate i.e., the Oregon State game in 2014.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    No QB, no identity. Graham won with Taylor Kelly, who he didn't recruit. Team never shows up in the big game, drops games that they should dominate i.e., the Oregon State game in 2014.
    So he produced chicken salad out of chicken shit??? Another reason he should not have been fired. Who wins consistently without a QB other than Nick Saban???

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    So he produced chicken salad out of chicken shit??? Another reason he should not have been fired. Who wins consistently without a QB other than Nick Saban???
    18-19 in the last 3 seasons...his prime recruiting seasons isn't chicken salad. Especially in a shitty Pac-12 conference. USC was licking its wounds from sanctions and Chip Kelly was gone from Oregon. Graham is nothing. He's a mercenary, a shitty recruiter, and a mediocre coach. He has a .584 winning percentage at Pittsburgh + ASU.

JAKEPEAVY21

El Nino will miss the crew cut

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Dallas Morning News

For some totally unknown reason, Arizona State has a sharp stick up their ass to hire a minority head coach. It is almost to the point of a demand by the powers who run the school. They knew Sumlin would be available, so they fired a head coach who turned around a 5-7 team and who'se losses include three 10-2 teams (San Diego State, Washington, and USC) and a 9-3 Stanford team. This is just total stupidity on the part of Arizona State.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I'd have given him one more year, but ASU lately has been treading water, and their defense is only getting marginally better. And marginally better than horrible is still really bad.

Graham will get picked up by a smaller school and do pretty well IMO.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Yeah, I mean, they beat undefeated and #5 ranked Washington this year and held them to under 250 yrds total and only 7 points, and the very next week they went into Utah, a notoriously tough place to play,and killed them. Who can forget only three years ago when they hosted #8 Notre Dame and completely destroyed them 55-31. That was also the year they went into the Coliseum and beat USC when they were a 12 pt dog, and also beat ranked Stanford and Utah that year as well. But according to you they "never show up" in the big game? After the Notre Dame win, they went into Corvallis the very next week, obviously spent, and lost as a 7 pt favorite, and you think they're supposed to "dominate" there? I recall Pete Carroll going into Corvallis and losing too,and he was a lot bigger favorite then just 7 points, but you probably think the world of him.

The level of retardation here is mind boggling.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    For some totally unknown reason, Arizona State has a sharp stick up their ass to hire a minority head coach. It is almost to the point of a demand by the powers who run the school. They knew Sumlin would be available, so they fired a head coach who turned around a 5-7 team and who'se losses include three 10-2 teams (San Diego State, Washington, and USC) and a 9-3 Stanford team. This is just total stupidity on the part of Arizona State.
    They beat Washington this year genius, 13-7. Perhaps if you looked things like that up before you spew, you wouldn't embarrass yourself so often. Perhaps if you actually watched as much CFB as you like to make people believe you do, you wouldn't forget who won a nationally televised west coast game.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    They beat Washington this year genius, 13-7. Perhaps if you looked things like that up before you spew, you wouldn't embarrass yourself so often. Perhaps if you actually watched as much CFB as you like to make people believe you do, you wouldn't forget who won a nationally televised west coast game.
    He was defending Graham there, but doing a horrible job of it.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    You are on to something. Herm Edwards won't be any good.

jtoler

Herm is supposed to be among many vying for the job. I think Herm would be ok, coaching is mostly teaching and motivating Herm seems good there coupled with him once being an NFL coach and his ties there, many good high schoolers should flock to State. Thats exactly what happened with Alabama and Saban. All of a sudden more elite players saw an easier road to the NFL. Just look at Bama's recruiting ranks before Saban. Certain guys especially with charisma who once coached in the NFL these young high schoolers will take a long look at.