daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Oregon State coach steps down, turns down buyout

This guy is not sharp

Oregon State HC Gary Andersen steps down

Oregon State football coach Gary Andersen and the university agreed to mutually part ways on Monday.

Beavers AD Scott Barnes called Andersen's decision "unprecedented in major college athletics." In leaving Corvallis, Andersen agreed to waive all future payments and contract obligations. He had just agreed to a contract extension through 2021 this past December. Andersen ended up going 7-23 during his tenure. While things looked like they could potentially turn around this fall, the Beavers are 1-5 and have lost their last four games by a combined score of 180-54. "Coaching is not about the mighty dollar," Andersen said. "It is about teaching and putting young men in a position to succeed on and off the field. Success comes when all parties involved are moving in the same direction." CB coach Cory Hall was named interim coach.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Wow

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

So fukking happy he left Wisconsin. Fuk him.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Noble of him to forgo contract dollars. He was a known money chaser up until now.

His biggest accomplishment was making Utah St relevant, but now I'd be hesitant to sign him if I were a smaller program. Will be interesting to see. If Mike Price can come back into FBS football, anything is possible.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ocho Cinco reporting as eligible

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

5 years from now he will be saying WTF did I do?

Ed O has a damn 12 million dollar buyout at LSU. He isn't turning that down when he gets fired.

These fcks coach a game. Take your money, and run. No need to be noble.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    5 years from now he will be saying WTF did I do?

Ed O has a damn 12 million dollar buyout at LSU. He isn't turning that down when he gets fired.

These fcks coach a game. Take your money, and run. No need to be noble.
    Probably a long-term strategy more than anything. Nobody is going to want to sign a guy to a long-term deal in the future if he's known for burglerizing programs and running away with their money. This way he leaves the door open with a clear conscience.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Maybe he has a terminal illness or CTE. Nothing noble about this unless he makes sure the 12.1 million goes to the players.............................on the field.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Probably a long-term strategy more than anything. Nobody is going to want to sign a guy to a long-term deal in the future if he's known for burglerizing programs and running away with their money. This way he leaves the door open with a clear conscience.
    To each their own. Have seen that he was due 17 million. He isn't making anything close to that again. I'll take that, relax, and volunteer to coach a Pop Warner team if I want to have a clear conscience. OSU would be fine losing 17 mil. They suck regardless, but have money.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    To each their own. Have seen that he was due 17 million. He isn't making anything close to that again. I'll take that, relax, and volunteer to coach a Pop Warner team if I want to have a clear conscience. OSU would be fine losing 17 mil. They suck regardless, but have money.
    You and me likely have a lot smaller overheads than Gary Anderson.

Just guessing, some millionaires don't, but most do have a lot of shit they have to pay for. This is why people who are already worth tens of millions take jobs very late in their career. It's not that they "love coaching", CFB coaching is really taxing, but a good number of them have spent most of that money and still feel like they need more.

Or they could be like Brett Favre and have gambling addictions and be forced to take every rinky-dink endorsement deal under the sun.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

had Oregon st +28.5 couple weeks ago vs Washington.... last leg of a parlay. 7-0 at the half... this phukin bozo gave up 35 2nd half points.. so this is no suprise here.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    had Oregon st +28.5 couple weeks ago vs Washington.... last leg of a parlay. 7-0 at the half... this phukin bozo gave up 35 2nd half points.. so this is no suprise here.
    was it really 7-0 at the half? i don't remember that but you may be right.... EDIT: wow, you are correct.

fyi, incredibly impressed by him not taking the buyout but i think he should have.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    You and me likely have a lot smaller overheads than Gary Anderson.

Just guessing, some millionaires don't, but most do have a lot of shit they have to pay for. This is why people who are already worth tens of millions take jobs very late in their career. It's not that they "love coaching", CFB coaching is really taxing, but a good number of them have spent most of that money and still feel like they need more.

Or they could be like Brett Favre and have gambling addictions and be forced to take every rinky-dink endorsement deal under the sun.
    You're probably right.

Especially with Favre. Those damn commercials almost make me want to buy some Copper Fit crap.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Oregon State would have never fired him, they couldn't afford the buyout and they liked him. The AD was distraught during the press conference so they clearly didn't want him to leave. They aren't going to win another game this year with or without him. He was not happy there, he took the job before really vetting it and seeing if it was a good fit and making sure the Beavers were all-in on the team and upgrading facilities (news flash: They weren't)... so why stick around at a job that is miserable, knowing you aren't going to get fired, your recruiting class is always going to suck, and that your continued failure will hurt your future job prospects? I know you guys think this is stupid, and maybe it is, but Anderson is a solid coach and he'll get another job and be successful. Someone will pay him.

There might be some other issues too that aren't public (yet). We'll see.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post
    Oregon State would have never fired him, they couldn't afford the buyout and they liked him. The AD was distraught during the press conference so they clearly didn't want him to leave. They aren't going to win another game this year with or without him. He was not happy there, he took the job before really vetting it and seeing if it was a good fit and making sure the Beavers were all-in on the team and upgrading facilities (news flash: They weren't)... so why stick around at a job that is miserable, knowing you aren't going to get fired, your recruiting class is always going to suck, and that your continued failure will hurt your future job prospects? I know you guys think this is stupid, and maybe it is, but Anderson is a solid coach and he'll get another job and be successful. Someone will pay him.

He made Utah State relevant, so that's something.

I do remember him saying OSU was his "dream job", and that's why he left Wisconsin so soon.

Pure guess, but he may end up at a better than average group of 5 school that loses their HC to a better program. I really don't see a power 5 school in his immediate future though.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post

You won't hear his name again at a big name program as a head coach. Most sports fans didn't know who the coach at Oregon State was but knew they were superbad after Mike Riley left. If you can't win where Mike Riley left off and he is one of the worse coaches ever, then no one will touch you.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    You won't hear his name again at a big name program as a head coach. Most sports fans didn't know who the coach at Oregon State was but knew they were superbad after Mike Riley left. If you can't win where Mike Riley left off and he is one of the worse coaches ever, then no one will touch you.
    in what universe is Mike Riley one of the worst coaches ever? i'm pretty sure Oregon State's record the next 5 years will be much much worse than when Riley was there......

i can definitely see Anderson ending up at someone like Nevada after some time off

gojetsgomoxies

the name coach at small program has worked out well... i hereby nominate him for nevada coach. not sure if their new coach will make year 2 (although i think they beat hawaii last week at least. don't laugh, that was a pretty big win given how they were so far this season)

davie, tedford and bowden at new mexico, fresno and akron have all been big successes - although fresno/tedford is new..... i think a name coach gets you alot more decent recruits.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

He will go coach at a Humbolt State then will be managing a Panera within 5 years.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    in what universe is Mike Riley one of the worst coaches ever? i'm pretty sure Oregon State's record the next 5 years will be much much worse than when Riley was there......

i can definitely see Anderson ending up at someone like Nevada after some time off
    So you consider Nevada a big time program??? Mike Riley stunk in the NFL, and didn't win a championship or participate in a championship game at Oregon St or Nebraska, yet all I hear is how great of a coach he is. He just got the Nebraska AD fired earlier last month. I don't think Mike Riley is a good coach and bet against him all the time, he always looks like Big Ben after his 5 int game on Sunday..........not a clue that a game is being played.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post

Nebraska wasn't taking any chances of the Great Mike Riley turning it around. I guess you are smarter than every team that has fired him.