bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2007 Big Ten Football Preview

Illinois always gets the top talent in the country, but lets face facts guys. Ron Zook just can't coach for shit at all, and this might be his swan song year.

07/05/2007 07:16 AM
    By: Marc Lawrence | playbook.com

A traditional powerhouse on the gridiron, the Big Ten ended with three teams in the Top 10 of the final polls last year. But a fourth team -- Illinois -- is the one with the big bullseye on its back entering '07.

The Big Ten Conference landed three teams in season-ending Top 10 polls in 2006. One of them owns the best record of all teams in the conference the past three years -- and it isn’t Michigan or Ohio State. Surprised? We were, too.

Here is one handicapper’s take on the Big Ten for 2007. Returning starters are listed alongside each team’s name (returning QB’s designated with an *). Enjoy.

ILLINOIS (OFF - *9 / DEF 9)
    Team Theme: Hooker Zooker

For the second straight season Ron Zook returns a full complement of starters (18) and, should they improve this year like last, they could be the surprise of the Big Ten. Like the character in The Sting, Zooker is a champion Hooker of high school talent and he’s had two powerful classes in the last two years at Illinois.

The attack is lead by QB Juice Williams, who rushed for 516 yards but struggled in the air, going 103 for 261. They may pay the price when Michigan invades, however, as Zook actually cast his vote for Florida (not the Wolves) to battle Ohio State in the BCS title game. Lodge members don’t do that sort of thing.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Michigan (10/20)

INDIANA (OFF - *8 / DEF - 8)
    Team Theme: Fountain of Youth

The Hoosiers survived enormous odds last season. For openers, former head coach Terry Hoeppner battled a brain tumor and endured throughout 2006 only to succumb to the dreaded disease this summer. They were the youngest team in the Big Ten, starting 13 true or redshirt freshmen, managing to win three conference games for the first time since 2001. They’ll be the most juvenile squad again in 2007, only this time with playing experience under their belts.

All five running backs and five of the top six wide receivers are back along with place kicker Austin Starr, good on 12/15 field goals last year (two game winners). A 4-0 start is not outside of the realm of possibility, especially knowing they will be going all out to 'win one for the Hoepper.'

PLAY ON: vs. Purdue (11/17)

IOWA (OFF - 6 / DEF - 8)
    Team Theme: Operation Overhaul

Six losses in their final seven games cost the Hawkeyes a winning season last year. Hence, after gong 45-17 the prior five years, Iowa will be a 'mission team' in 2007.

They’ll need to rely heavily on Kirk Ferentz’s coaching skills as they were beat up with graduation losses. Gone is QB Drew Tate, a 4-year starter, along with their three most valuable offensive linemen, two key linebackers and both kickers. To top it off they’ll take on seven bowl teams without a wink of rest all season long. Tate’s replacement, sophomore Jake Christensen, put up decent numbers in very limited action going 23 of 35 for 285 yards and two TD. Strap on your helmets.

PLAY ON: vs. Western Michigan (11/17)

MICHIGAN (OFF - *6 / DEF - 4)
    Team Theme: Annoy & Destroy

The Wolves just missed a same-season rematch with the Buckeyes in last year’s BCS Championship Game. Were it not for odd voting peculiarities by Illinois’ Ron Zook (his vote went to Florida) and Ohio State’s Jim Tressel (he abstained from voting at all), Michigan might have been playing for the cheese in Glendale as opposed to smelling the Roses in Pasadena. There won’t be a need to remind coach Lloyd Carr of those indiscretions.

"I thought it was real slick," said Carr afterwards.

We do know they faced the second-toughest schedule in the nation last year (by .0137), and the toughest schedule in 2005. They are battle-tested and ready to take it out on someone in 2007.

PLAY ON: vs. Ohio State (11/17) - KEY as dog

MICHIGAN STATE (OFF - 6 / DEF - 6)
    Team Theme: Passion & Purpose

Three straight losing seasons (with decent stats, we might add) signaled the end of the John L. Smith era in East Lansing. Mark Dantonio appears to be a good hire for the Spartans. With 24 years of college coaching experience, the former Cincinnati head coach and ex-Ohio State and MSU assistant will look to bring consistency back into the program. He will insist his team plays with a passion and a purpose.

He’ll also eliminate the spread offense in favor of a more traditional philosophy. Seven home games are appealing. Five road games against five bowl teams are not. Still, they were 3-0 and leading Notre Dame 37-21 last year when the bottom fell out.

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Michigan (11/3) - KEY off loss

MINNESOTA (OFF - *6 / DEF - 9)
    Team Theme: Seven & Seven

After 10 years, and a respectable 64-57 record with Minnesota, former head coach Glen Mason was told the party was over. Mason is second only to Joe Paterno among current Big Ten coaches in career Division I-A victories, and Minnesota is one of only two teams (Boise State the other) to finish in the Top 35 nationally seven of the last eight seasons in total offense.

Mason has been replaced by Tim Brewster, the tight ends coach of the Denver Broncos the past two seasons. We only hope it doesn’t evolve into another Paul Pasqualoni-type situation that has evolved at Syracuse. Brewster will enjoy the luxury of seven home games while taking on seven losing opponents in 2007. That should mix well.

PLAY ON: Pass

NORTHWESTERN (OFF - *7 / DEF - 8)
    Team Theme: Forty Winks

Pat Fitzgerald put it best when he stated, "A year ago Northwestern beat Northwestern."

They turned the ball over five times each game in three losses against bowl teams. They led Michigan State 38-3 before imploding in a stunning 41-38 loss. Fitzgerald instituted a ‘winning edge winter workout’ program resulting in a strong off-season strength-conditioning program. Every starting linemen, plus key reserves, return from a defense that improved dramatically (117 YPG) last season.

On the other side of the ball unsung RB Tyrell Sutton (2,500 rushing yards) returns, along with QB C.J. Bacher. More importantly, all nine assistant coaches are back. Because of seven home games on the slate for the first time in 61 years, the Wildcats are a dangerous sleeper team.

PLAY ON: vs. Michigan State (10/6)

OHIO STATE (OFF - 4 / DEF - 5)
    Team Theme: The Buck Pops Here

Perhaps the greatest season ever in Ohio State history went down faster than a blonde dating O.J. Simpson for the Buckeyes last year. Jim Tressel’s troops spent the first 12 weeks of the season ranked No. 1 in the nation, defeating No. 2 teams (Texas and Michigan) along the way. The lights went out during their shining moment in a head-scratching 27-point loss to Florida in the BCS title game and, just like that, the fervor was gone.

That was then and this is now, though, as most of the 75,310 fans in attendance at OSU’s spring game -- At $5 per head -- were suffering from an acute case of amnesia. A terribly weak schedule serves as the elixir.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Penn State (10/27)

PENN STATE (OFF - *8 / DEF - 6)
    Team Theme: Joe Octo

It seems like only yesterday Joe Paterno reeled in the top quarterback prospect in the nation, Pittsburgh native Anthony Morelli. It’s now four years later and the 'next Dan Marino' enters his senior year as perhaps the most disappointing former top quarterback prospect in the land. The only similarities the two have in common today is mom’s spaghetti dinner. Fortunately, Morelli's top three wide receivers are back. Together they’ll need to get on the same page of offensive coordinator Galen Hall’s playbook.

Meanwhile, 80-year old Paterno enters his 57th year on the sidelines in Happy Valley. A top song on the charts the year it all began for Joe Pa was Rockin’ Chair, by Fats Domino. What a coincidence!

PLAY ON: vs. Notre Dame (9/8) - KEY as dog

PURDUE (OFF - *9 / DEF 9)
    Team Theme: 'T' for the Tillerman

Despite having to tackle Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan three weeks in a row, Joe Tiller is pretty excited about his team’s chances in 2007. And he should be.

He returns 54 lettermen, including 18 starters, and plays no back-to-back road games. He’s also excited about opening with Toledo. Excited because the first game Tiller ever coached with the Boilermakers was against the Rockets, a 36-22 loss in the Glass Bowl (his hometown). Purdue performed admirably in their 'mission year' last season, winning eight games before losing to Maryland in the Champs Sports Bowl. The problem is Toledo will also be on a mission this year. Sometimes life is not what it appears on the surface.

PLAY ON: vs. Penn State (11/3)

WISCONSIN (OFF - 9 / DEF - 7)
    Team Theme: Pour Me Another One

Here’s a bar bet you will win nearly every time out: Name the team in the Big Ten with the best record the last three years. Answer: You’re reading about them right now, the Wisconsin Badgers, who went 12-1 last season to become the winningest team in school history, and now stand 31-7 over that stretch.

They also went 7-0 at Camp Randall Stadium for the first time ever. As a result second year coach Bret Bielema was named Big Ten Coach of the Year. Powerful sophomore running back P.J. Hill will capture the most attention in 2007, but they will need QB Tyler Donavon to step up and fill the shoes of John Stocco if they wish to stay atop the perch. Set ‘em up, bartender!

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Penn State (10/13)

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nawp, after Michigan invades Illinois, they'll be returning home with an outright loss.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14473

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Nawp, after Michigan invades Illinois, they'll be returning home with an outright loss.
    Yeah, 'annoy and destroy' and leave with no spoils!
    heh heh

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I don't see it. I'm a UM fan, so maybe my analysis is biased, but I don't see Michigan being challenged in conference play until their Nov. 10 showdown @ Wiscy.

No doubt the Illini will be much improved with the great recruiting class coming in, but Zook has always been an outstanding recruiter. However, he's yet to prove he can win with that great talent. I see Illinois battling it out with OSU and PSU for third in the conference, surely a significant improvement over their last-place performance in '06, but I still can't see them beating the premier team(s) in the Big Ten.

hawk 5
    Update your status
    hawk 5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8779

Juice Williams completed 40% of his passes last year. He'll need a huge improvement on that to beat Mich.

Dawoofdaddy
    Dawoofdaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!

This year Big ten looks alot more balanced than past several years and dogs should be solid with many outright winners.

easy_money
    easy_money's Avatar Become A Pro!

What about Rutgers? They did quite well last season?!?!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by easy_money View Post
    What about Rutgers? They did quite well last season?!?!
    Wrong conference buddy. They are in the Big East.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I grew up a Big Ten fan, and outside of a few key rivalry games I find it really hard to get into it anymore. Ohio State getting killed by yet another SEC team when it counted and Michigan getting whipped by Southern Cal didn't help, especially considering that OSU and UM simply dominated the conference last year (save Wisky). There's a lot of reasons I think are behind it (such as lack of speed, weather conditions, lack of minorities, etc.), but we just can't compete on a national level.

Hawaiian time
    Hawaiian time's Avatar Become A Pro!

ILLINOIS WHAT A JOKE!!!!! Are u guys seroius HAWAII ALL THE WAY BABY!! OOPS WRONG CONFERENCE

Hawaiian time
    Hawaiian time's Avatar Become A Pro!

anyone here

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Juice Williams aint that bad...

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I can rarely play on Mich State, but certainly not against Michigan.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    Juice Williams aint that bad...
    I don't think he's that bad either actually Pags. In fact I think IL. has some of the best talent in the country, but the problem is Zook can't coach for shit.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I don't think he's that bad either actually Pags. In fact I think IL. has some of the best talent in the country, but the problem is Zook can't coach for shit.
    Bigboy

I have to agree that Zook is not a great coach. I also agree that Illinois will have some pretty good talent this year. But, I think coaching gets too much credit when determining W/L.
    Yes, we all saw games in which the coach blew it. But, isn't talent more important? I coached 9th grade baskets at a very tiny school. Many times the total 9th grade class had a population of 40 boys. I had to play teams in the conference that had enrollments of 3 and 4 hundred. Naturally, I got slapped around most of the time. Often the opposing coach was a buddy of mine. After the game I would joke with him saying okay lets play again. You take my team this time and I will coach yours. (lol)

I think better talent will usually win inspite of bad or good
    coaching. And it is a vicious cycle type of thing because better players tend to go to schools that win. Thus, the powerful schools remain powerful. Of course, ND is the exception. They continue to lose and at the same time have a large number of all state players. Go figure.

If every thing else is equal when wagering on an event I think I would most likely play the more talented team even if the coach sucks.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

excellent points dante...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    excellent points dante...
    Indeed they are Pags. Points are very well taken from this gentlemen.