daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

You guys realize that these guys haven’t played all year, right?

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    if this isn't proof enough that players need to be paid at least a living wage I don't know what is..

you guys see the kid that ordered junk food to his room? gummy worms and hot fries and stuff.

they're broke man.
    They get free tuition, board, and all meals paid. They don't need anything else other than some money mgmt skills.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

They should have stood up for the anthem...fukk the gators

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    This shit is so old news. Folks are looking to take Vandy now.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
    UF athletes have free food available 24/7

id bet my left nut on that
    laptops too if you're Cam Newton

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. If this is breaking news and you have been betting on or against Florida, you have been throwing darts.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
    UF athletes have free food available 24/7
    id bet my left nut on that
    We did not have free food 24/7 at UF when I was there. We had breakfast, lunch, dinner and an evening snack at assigned times. Back in those days, we all stayed in the same dorm (Yon Hall attached to the stadium), specifically for athletes. The cafeteria was in the dorm. The food was great. Momma, who cooked the meals could throw down with the best of them. BUT, imagine eating every meal in the same place, day after day, month after month, year after year. I kid you not, I got tired of steak one weak. Sometimes, you just want McDonalds. Well, that was not part of the scholarship. There was no such thing as spending money. Most everything was paid for but you did not get a clothing allowance or a miscellaneous allowance to buy snacks somewhere or buy gas for your car. Good luck having a job and balancing school and work (football). They basically told you when to get up, when to eat, when to shit, when to practice, when to study, when to go to sleep. The NCAA eventually outlawed having sports dorms, I think because it was nothing like student life.

If you had money, you lived like a boss. If you were broke and you came to UF broke, it was a miserable experience. Imagine being the big man on campus but you couldn't even take a girl out to eat without her paying the check? How do you get clothes unless you do a bit of hook and crook on the side? How do you buy a scooter to get around a pretty big campus unless you sold your tickets? I remember a Thanksgiving when we had a long break, when I was driving home, one of my teammates was hanging out. I asked him when he was leaving for the holiday and he said he was staying because he didn't have any money to catch the bus. I soon discovered there were several guys staying because they were broke. Fukkin sad man.

Now a days, these guys get a stipend and I think it includes clothing allowance and additional money. I have no idea if what they get is sufficient but it was not when I went. Bottom line, these guys aren't getting rich on scholarship. Which is why you see guys do dumb shit because they are living month to month (which most people do as well but it sucks). I think if you ask any current or former player, a great majority will agree that they should earn a little more. Maybe setup an endowment as an incentive for them to graduate, where a few years later, you gift them money to start a business or continue education. These guys sacrifice their education a bit for football. They sacrifice their bodies for football. Years later I have numerous football injuries that the university shares no responsibility. I received those injuries while representing the school. Fortunately, I've had great insurance but I can only wonder the hundreds of other guys that don't have adequate insurance. I'm surprised we haven't seen ex players suing the universities for preexisting conditions.

I'll also say that UF university police are some of the worst. They are so incompetent it's hard for me to believe anything they say or do. UPD is known to pump up charges to make it sound worst than it really is. While FSU police would cover up shit to protect the Semenholes. Miami police wouldn't even waste time for these petty crimes. Not that I'm taking up for these idiots. Callaway is the king idiot. All kind of talent but dumb as a box of rocks. He most likely got the other guys mixed up in this shit.

None of these guys have played this year so this means nothing this weekend. Scarlett and Calloway were the 2 best players on the offense, maybe the team but other guys are stepping up. The defense has a little depth issue but they are making strides. Vanderbilt's defense is good but it's offense is horrible. I'd lean the Under in this one but I wouldn't fade the Gators.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    laptops too if you're Cam Newton
    My freshman year, I sold 2 of my 4 tickets to a US Senator for $650. That would have been an ncaa violation and probably broke some state scalping law. I would have hated to be in college today with all the social media and cameras everywhere.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    if this isn't proof enough that players need to be paid at least a living wage I don't know what is..

you guys see the kid that ordered junk food to his room? gummy worms and hot fries and stuff.

they're broke man.
    So are the rest of the kids on campus and they managed to not commit a felony.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    This shit is so old news. Folks are looking to take Vandy now.
    Actually, the part about them facing a shyteload of felony charges from the DA is brand new. That is what the article and the thread are about.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

People think players get whatever they want. Maybe at Alabama & auburn. You get a meal plan but it’s not some 24/7 conveyer belt of food like you need when you’re practicing in 90 degree heat and lifting on top of that. Job? Lol. Zero chance at that unless they’re mowing lawns in the summer. These guys thought they found a way to beat the system and they got busted. They’re toast. Not a matter of it they’ll play at UF again but whether or not they’re going to prison.

As far as this game is concerned, Florida has a new old quarterback. Not sure why McElwain doesn’t roll with Franks and develop him. The Gators should get by Vandy but the LSU/A&M/UGA guantlet will be tough

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Strike while the iron is hot.

Vanderbilt VS Florida
    Vanderbilt +10 -110
    This not a surprise, many predicted it would happen and the only reason the process was slower than usual was the hurricane. Plus the 9 players have been out all season. In other words, the news has no impact on this line.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9870

Now a days, these guys get a stipend and I think it includes clothing allowance and additional money. I have no idea if what they get is sufficient but it was not when I went.
    Couple of years ago it was $425/month give or take. I think it's around 450 now.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Actually, the part about them facing a shyteload of felony charges from the DA is brand new. That is what the article and the thread are about.
    It was well known before the season started that they were charging back their CC's. Around 3 weeks ago, it was known that there were felony charges pending. For some reason the mainstream media has just started reporting it.

All of this is happening because of Huntley Johnson. He used to be the designated defense lawyer of UF players for years. He defended Aaron Hernandez. He defended Calloway in a sexual assault case last year. He somehow got into a spat with UF administration and now he's wrecking havoc over the program. He's an UF alum but somebody really pissed him off. He presented all kind of discovery evidence that the school has had to answer. These cases would have most likely been thrown out under his defense (he is that good) but now he's on the other side.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Couple of years ago it was $425/month give or take. I think it's around 450 now.
    Is the $450 just for incidentals/miscellaneous or do they still have to pay for food, cable, cell phone, etc? Hopefully, that's extra money after all their needs is met. That sounds reasonable.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I side with M4L and teaser on this one.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9870

Is the $450 just for incidentals/miscellaneous or do they still have to pay for food, cable, cell phone, etc? Hopefully, that's extra money after all their needs is met. That sounds reasonable.
    This is new money above what "old" scholarship covered. So that's in addition to tuition, room and board, fees and books.

Lucky Strike
    Lucky Strike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Basically, college football is an internship at a highly profitable company. Your ceiling for financial comfort is high.

if you steal or break the law during your internship, odds are you would be let go.

thats how I look at it personally.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

They r broke...honestly..better off with good education then taking sports thing serious.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I feel bad for them I can understand different perspectives. I understand they broke the law and it's not easy to show any other perspective but mac4 laid it out best I think could be. They messed up, I'd like to see them still make it. Although as I stated in the anthem thread, hard to have compassion for people if they continually spit in your face. I hope these boys can recover.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    This is new money above what "old" scholarship covered. So that's in addition to tuition, room and board, fees and books.
    Damn, that's pretty good. That is very fair IMO.

Unfortunately, you have bad elements that just don't get it. Callaway is a 1st round NFL talent. He's very easy going and people like him. But, he's always around trouble. He hangs out with another guy that was convicted for sexual misconduct with a minor. Then he gets mixed up in sexual misconduct, then marijuana, then DUI, then this. I believe in giving 2nd chances but 3rd, 4th, 5th, there comes a time to let go. Some of the most talented guys are the most crazy. My roommate was one of the most dominating Dtackles in college. We have NFL hall of fame offensive lineman, Lomas Brown, Crawford Kerr, Jeff Zimmerman, that if you mentioned his name, they would start shivering. They couldn't double team him, he was unblockable. But he couldn't stay off the drugs. We had a RB that was rated higher than Herschel Walker but kept having sex with underage girls. Story after story of guys that were so close to success but pissed it away. Yet, there's some that made the most of it and those are the feel good stories.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Basically, college football is an internship at a highly profitable company. Your ceiling for financial comfort is high.
    The big fallacy is that every guy in college is going to make it to the pros. That it is some type of automatic doorway to millions. These kids have been propped up as demigods and they end up believing the hype. The truth is that most of them won't get anywhere near an NFL camp. The odds of making that next step is practically impossible. A lot of these guys are absolutely delusional thinking that they are on their way to millions.

I was deluded as well. But, I was fortunate that a guy before me that had the same game as me, was drafted but struggled for 3 years in the NFL. I saw first hand what he had to go through and I knew that if he was struggling, I would struggle if not make it at all. I quickly started concentrating more on school. I can tell you some stories about Mike Shanahan that was my offensive coordinator. He loved to play mind games and wanted to get me back into the fold, committed to football but it was too late.

The very few guys that make a team, will play on average just 3 years on a rookie salary that will not last them a few years. Then they have to figure out what to do with the rest of their lives. I can tell you some horror stories of guys that is not a pretty sight. I wish that fans would one day do a "where are they now" on their favorite college players. It would not be pretty. The fans really don't want to know.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13502

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Strike while the iron is hot.

Vanderbilt VS Florida
    Vanderbilt +10 -110
    not when i see vandy completes 3/13 passes last week. bunch of jokers they have.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Okay, would anyone like to back up and tell me where they were transferring this money from?? I couldn't figure that out from the report, and that was the one thing that didn't add up at all. If you're gonna Xfer 2k into your student account, it has to come from somewhere.

And stealing is stealing, no sympathy here. Thousands of other student athletes got by just fine this year so far without stealing. This is not a "pay/don't pay the students" debate at all.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Okay, just re-read it. Still not 100% clear, but it was debit/************ that didn't belong to them? So stolen, or from a shady booster or agent?

Either way, glad they got caught and punished. They get a privilege a lot of kids would kill for, then abuse it like this? F em. Sucks that 9 kids' college careers are over, but maybe thousands of others will see this and think twice next time.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This is a perfect example of how desperate Florida is to win another SEC title. These kids NEVER should have been allowed to enroll in school. They are so stupid they do not know how to spell their names. They are nothing more than a bunch of ghetto rats who have some athletic ability. I hope they all do time. The time has come to put these hot shot black football players in their place.

First 12