KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Good job over the last year Jerk. Horseplayer is pretty much right on the nose. That money management is very important for the long haul. Get a bankroll you can preserve and draw from.

I don't think you need to save up to get back into sports. If you can work the 9-5 and still have time to bet or trade, then bet smaller, much smaller. It sounds like you just went all-in. Why, because it's only $2500 left?

With a $2500 bankroll, your bet should be closer to the $50...You get the point.

I don't know anything about why you choose a bet, but a range of 1-5 thousand sounds absurd. What you are essentially saying is some bets are 5 times worth risk than others. If that's the case, why make the others? In the end only the large bets will count.

It sound like you got hot for awhile, raised you bets, then went on a cold run.

To be constructive, I have to say that before jumping back into the game, makes sure you understand the ramifications of jiggling your bet size and that you can maintain the discipline to bet correctly.

Without these elements, you are destined to a cycle of birthing and dying bankrolls.

Good Luck.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Oh yeah, and go Clemson!

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Its not hard to tell when people are telling the truth, good luck BJ, Ive been telling people Clemson is going to win for 3 weeks when they play Bama. Wont be easy but they have the team to do it.
    I appreciate your voucher bro. I try and speak with the most validity that I can offer. I'm the complete opposite of JJgold, even though we all love him and his antics. Aka SBR actor ....

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Good job over the last year Jerk. Horseplayer is pretty much right on the nose. That money management is very important for the long haul. Get a bankroll you can preserve and draw from.

I don't think you need to save up to get back into sports. If you can work the 9-5 and still have time to bet or trade, then bet smaller, much smaller. It sounds like you just went all-in. Why, because it's only $2500 left?

With a $2500 bankroll, your bet should be closer to the $50...You get the point.

I don't know anything about why you choose a bet, but a range of 1-5 thousand sounds absurd. What you are essentially saying is some bets are 5 times worth risk than others. If that's the case, why make the others? In the end only the large bets will count.

It sound like you got hot for awhile, raised you bets, then went on a cold run.

To be constructive, I have to say that before jumping back into the game, makes sure you understand the ramifications of jiggling your bet size and that you can maintain the discipline to bet correctly.

Without these elements, you are destined to a cycle of birthing and dying bankrolls.

Good Luck.

Dude you totally just described my whole situation through the last 11 months. Thank you for reading the entire thread and forming an educated & accurate post. I agree with you 100% of what you just shared, but acting on this wisdom may be my falter. I'm impatient with my winning, but very patient on my selections as I bet. I have a bit of a dilemma in regards of my total bankroll and proper bet size. It's my first year as a professional ....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Oh yeah, and go Clemson!

Sweet kitty to indulge with. Go Clemson !!! lol

Winning oasis
    Winning oasis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7651

Good luck man. I think there is good value here on a good team. New offensive play calling for Alabama so I'm on the same and the under 51. But why is "straight" not spelled correctly in the screen shot? Jus' sayin'.

"Type Sraight
    Risk 2,500
    To Win 5,500
    Moneyline"

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by Winning oasis View Post
    Good luck man. I think there is good value here on a good team. New offensive play calling for Alabama so I'm on the same and the under 51. But why is "straight" not spelled correctly in the screen shot? Jus' sayin'.

"Type Sraight
    Risk 2,500
    To Win 5,500
    Moneyline"
    Ask Betonline.ag good eye though ... as long as they pay me I don't give a f u c k.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

shit! makes my $250 bet on Clem +7 seem insignificant ...GL Jerk hope we win this outright pal

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY BOY View Post
    shit! makes my $250 bet on Clem +7 seem insignificant ...GL Jerk hope we win this outright pal
    Thank you my local gambling friend.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Jerky your barreled in

Good luck

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Jerky your barreled in

Good luck
    Thanks sport.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

two even teams ,value bet . take the value of +200 gl sir.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

BTJ is one of the good guys from the olden days.
    One of the only forum memebers I'll be friends with on Facebook.

Will tail

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinyourmoney View Post
    BTJ is one of the good guys from the olden days.
    One of the only forum memebers I'll be friends with on Facebook.

Will tail
    Virtual friends for life my friend, lol until the day I show up at a bash.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Jerker, why no bash yet??

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

What KVB said. Guy is sharp when it comes to bet sizing and analyzing a bet. He puts in the time and effort.

I'd make sure you have a life roll and a bankroll before you did sports betting full time. You should have 3-6 months living expenses separate from your bank roll. Look at poker threads, there are probably some good ones on the forum that equals 4. The variance in betting is high, you need that life roll for the times you lose 10 bets in a row. The swings go both ways.

It looks like you are all in with a desperate attempt to continue trying something that is unsustainable with your current model. I don't say that to be rude. I say that in a matter of numbers and dollars. You need to go on a streak or you are done. Done for you means no more income. With your small window here to take shots, you are living and dying on every snap. Bad breaks are going to happen and you need to give yourself the longevity to withstand the shitty foul calls, the bad coaching, the dropped TD, the miss on a wide open goal. The same things are going to benefit you, but you have to stick around to enjoy them.

99% of guys on here (including me) are recreational bettors. We may have weeks or a season where we grind it out every day but most of us are going to revert to that break even area. We will win bets and have fun streaks, cash out, then lose bets and lose deposits. With the recreational bettor, we have a paycheck coming every 2 weeks and that is covering our cost of living and extra money for fun. It sounds like you have been living off of all of your profits for this year and you are scraping by. A gamblers version of paycheck to paycheck as it were. If you are going to be a professional sports bettor, don't do it just so you can be a professional sports bettor. Do it to not have to live the 9-5 grind and live comfortably. That should be the goal. Not just to survive. BOL

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Jerker, why no bash yet??
    I'm selfish & a loner I guess lol, jk no I will do my best to make it out to 18' wherever that may be.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    I'm selfish & a loner I guess lol, jk no I will do my best to make it out to 18' wherever that may be.

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    What KVB said. Guy is sharp when it comes to bet sizing and analyzing a bet. He puts in the time and effort.

I'd make sure you have a life roll and a bankroll before you did sports betting full time. You should have 3-6 months living expenses separate from your bank roll. Look at poker threads, there are probably some good ones on the forum that equals 4. The variance in betting is high, you need that life roll for the times you lose 10 bets in a row. The swings go both ways.

It looks like you are all in with a desperate attempt to continue trying something that is unsustainable with your current model. I don't say that to be rude. I say that in a matter of numbers and dollars. You need to go on a streak or you are done. Done for you means no more income. With your small window here to take shots, you are living and dying on every snap. Bad breaks are going to happen and you need to give yourself the longevity to withstand the shitty foul calls, the bad coaching, the dropped TD, the miss on a wide open goal. The same things are going to benefit you, but you have to stick around to enjoy them.

99% of guys on here (including me) are recreational bettors. We may have weeks or a season where we grind it out every day but most of us are going to revert to that break even area. We will win bets and have fun streaks, cash out, then lose bets and lose deposits. With the recreational bettor, we have a paycheck coming every 2 weeks and that is covering our cost of living and extra money for fun. It sounds like you have been living off of all of your profits for this year and you are scraping by. A gamblers version of paycheck to paycheck as it were. If you are going to be a professional sports bettor, don't do it just so you can be a professional sports bettor. Do it to not have to live the 9-5 grind and live comfortably. That should be the goal. Not just to survive. BOL
    I'm going to blow this up & tape it on my wall for the next time I decide to do this full-time. Exceptional information my fellow gambler ! Unless I go on the streak you speak of , I am exactly scraping around as you put it to a T. I appreciate your input & KVB as well thank you guys ...

BeatTheJerk

El Niño short story for you. Took out a 10k personal loan made 60k from it paid the loan back. 11 months later my BR has diminished to this last bet, with spending, bills & everyday living. I came into this scenario under liquidated with my bet size.

BeatTheJerk

El Niño short story for you. Took out a 10k personal loan made 60k from it paid the loan back. 11 months later my BR has diminished to this last bet, with spending, bills & everyday living. I came into this scenario under liquidated with my bet size.
    A couple vacations sprinkled in too.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Yeah, it sounds like a good learning experience for you. Be glad you didn't take out the 10K loan, lose it, take out a 20K loan to win back the money from the 10K loan + 10K for you, etc. as I am sure that has caused some gamblers to get into massive debt.

If I were to try and do this professionally, off the top of my head:

$40K bankroll 1% bet size MLB, NHL, UFC With spot bets on spread sports
    $48-50K life roll
    No debt other than a mortgage

I think this would set someone up to succeed. You could have a losing year and still be ok on your life roll. It's good sometimes to sit down and crank out your budget and dive into your sports betting #'s as well. Sometimes it makes you face harsh truths, but you are better off for it in the long run. It will also make you look at sports betting as a business, as your profession. Keep it simple, bet good #'s, try to get good spots, hedge accordingly, gamble as little as you can. You have to protect your neck when it's your job.

Now, for most people, it's easier to write this out and keep it in mind as a guide line. The problem occurs when you've lost 5 bets in a row and you chase. There can be no chasing. It's ok to go to bed a loser on the day. You have to think big picture. Do you feel like shit when your 401K goes down because the Dow dropped 1% on the day? No, because you know that long term, you will make a percentage profit on your index fund. You have to treat sports betting the same way. Dispassionate, like a business. It will probably ruin watching sports for you as a fan.

It's fun to lament the shitty beats and sit around with a beer and vent on why this happened or that happened. That's part of what makes SBR so great. But, when I'm in Vegas and some guy in his giveaway promotional t-shirt walks up to me and starts bitching about why such and such team fouled down 10 and it ruined his 6 team parlay, I just have to laugh. Let Vegas make money off those guys. You need to be the guy grinding 2.5 units a week to pay the mortgage and go out for a nice dinner.

If I were you, I'd get the 9-5 job, knock out all your debt (credit card, car note, student loans, etc.) bank money and recreational sports bet from time to time. You can work your way on building your bank roll and your life roll and bet professionally again. Or you may find that a little betting and having the security of a paycheck every two weeks is more enjoyable than the stress of having to win to keep the lights on. BOL on whatever you decide

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like a good learning experience for you. Be glad you didn't take out the 10K loan, lose it, take out a 20K loan to win back the money from the 10K loan + 10K for you, etc. as I am sure that has caused some gamblers to get into massive debt.

If I were to try and do this professionally, off the top of my head:

$40K bankroll 1% bet size MLB, NHL, UFC With spot bets on spread sports
    $48-50K life roll
    No debt other than a mortgage

I think this would set someone up to succeed. You could have a losing year and still be ok on your life roll. It's good sometimes to sit down and crank out your budget and dive into your sports betting #'s as well. Sometimes it makes you face harsh truths, but you are better off for it in the long run. It will also make you look at sports betting as a business, as your profession. Keep it simple, bet good #'s, try to get good spots, hedge accordingly, gamble as little as you can. You have to protect your neck when it's your job.

Now, for most people, it's easier to write this out and keep it in mind as a guide line. The problem occurs when you've lost 5 bets in a row and you chase. There can be no chasing. It's ok to go to bed a loser on the day. You have to think big picture. Do you feel like shit when your 401K goes down because the Dow dropped 1% on the day? No, because you know that long term, you will make a percentage profit on your index fund. You have to treat sports betting the same way. Dispassionate, like a business. It will probably ruin watching sports for you as a fan.

It's fun to lament the shitty beats and sit around with a beer and vent on why this happened or that happened. That's part of what makes SBR so great. But, when I'm in Vegas and some guy in his giveaway promotional t-shirt walks up to me and starts bitching about why such and such team fouled down 10 and it ruined his 6 team parlay, I just have to laugh. Let Vegas make money off those guys. You need to be the guy grinding 2.5 units a week to pay the mortgage and go out for a nice dinner.

If I were you, I'd get the 9-5 job, knock out all your debt (credit card, car note, student loans, etc.) bank money and recreational sports bet from time to time. You can work your way on building your bank roll and your life roll and bet professionally again. Or you may find that a little betting and having the security of a paycheck every two weeks is more enjoyable than the stress of having to win to keep the lights on. BOL on whatever you decide
    Since you stated you were a recreational bettor I can imagine this is your exact plan or ideal outline & you are somewhere in the middle of this plan maybe contemplating going pro or not. I can also imagine you have a legitimate job that pays you nearly 6 figures which suggests to me you will never transpire to this solely & it might always be pending, or side income. My job just pays my bills & I never get ahead so leaving my 9 to 5 was not hard at all to decipher. My assumptions could be totally far from the truth, but you seem to have a successful mapped out plan on how to be a winner. Now all you have to do is pick winners & beat the number & pick your spots etc ... lol easier said than done right. Thank you for all your advice I will use it as I mold myself more as a professional. Correct me on any of my wrong assumptions if you would ...
    Last edited by BeatTheJerk; 01-09-17 at 06:03 PM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Got this info from poster vivid john in a money management thread. i think the key to what he says is adding to your bankroll at a consistent amount from your paycheck, not only adding on when you lose. just adding 100 bux a week gets you $5200 annually, but if you win $50 bux week also (1%), you're adding another $2600 for a total of $7800. and second year winning 80 bux/wk(1%) and adding paycheck cash has you over 9k for a total of 17k, and by the 3rd year your bankroll is over 30k. Basically if you add $100/wk and win 1% of BR a week for 5 years, you have your 100k roll. 5 years takes patience, but if you're gambling anyway, taking 5 years to get the bankroll you need is good. If you're impatient add $200 bux a week and you have 25k in two years. this is his post here:

You will have to hit 54% or higher on -110 bets. . but just wager 1% of bankroll. Best bet 2% but you better be hitting that 54% or higher also.. Initially Your bankroll grows from. Winning wagers. But keep adding $100 bux a paycheck. Now you can wager a buck or 2 more. Get up to a 100k bankroll and you are betting $1000 a game and looking professional.

intermission
    intermission's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7120

im on clemson too but not as big as yours. And also got a bad line

BOL!!!!

1,000.00 $1,800.00 Pending 1/9/17 8:00pm College Football 151 Clemson +180* vs Alabama

jjgold

Guys risking everything tonight

Scary

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

BTJ only guy to bust + 50 units in the sbr best bet contest that ran for several years. Good luck man. I'm to lazy to dig up the thread

Later

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Got this info from poster vivid john in a money management thread. i think the key to what he says is adding to your bankroll at a consistent amount from your paycheck, not only adding on when you lose. just adding 100 bux a week gets you $5200 annually, but if you win $50 bux week also (1%), you're adding another $2600 for a total of $7800. and second year winning 80 bux/wk(1%) and adding paycheck cash has you over 9k for a total of 17k, and by the 3rd year your bankroll is over 30k. Basically if you add $100/wk and win 1% of BR a week for 5 years, you have your 100k roll. 5 years takes patience, but if you're gambling anyway, taking 5 years to get the bankroll you need is good. If you're impatient add $200 bux a week and you have 25k in two years. this is his post here:

You will have to hit 54% or higher on -110 bets. . but just wager 1% of bankroll. Best bet 2% but you better be hitting that 54% or higher also.. Initially Your bankroll grows from. Winning wagers. But keep adding $100 bux a paycheck. Now you can wager a buck or 2 more. Get up to a 100k bankroll and you are betting $1000 a game and looking professional.

Thank you this also similar but useful info.

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post
    BTJ only guy to bust + 50 units in the sbr best bet contest that ran for several years. Good luck man. I'm to lazy to dig up the thread

Later
    The good old days Cap ! You were up there too inspiring me to do better. That was fun and a lot of work with the manual grading Lmfao.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2105

Alot of legends in here tonight

phil_abuster
    phil_abuster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 855

The Poster you're referring to is "Rocco Rossi" I don't post many plays on here & I bet 10-15 times a month. I've been very selective since I've turned pro, but lately have been on a bad run & my BR is limited hence the reason to go back to the daily 9 to 5 grind .... gotta make a living somehow even if I fail on this bet. I'll be back I was meant to do this. Like I said before I enjoyed my time off, no complaints.
    pulling for U man!!

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Let's get it. I need this one bad, so most likely a loss. But, come on Clemson. They can win this fckin game.

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    Alot of legends in here tonight
    You're one of them pal !

jjgold

Couldn't be a disaster

GA could be loaded tomorrow

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by phil_abuster View Post
    pulling for U man!!
    Thank you bro !!! I greatly appreciate it ...

First 1234 Last