gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Charlie Strong to USF

see a bunch of places reporting it.

seems sort of fast after Texas........ what was Charlie's underlying problem at Texas?

gojetsgomoxies

here's an odd fact:

Charlie has been employed on the Florida Gators' coaching staff 4 separate times. not 4 separate regimes but 4 separate stints of employment separated by employment elsewhere.......... so i guess he knows the state of Florida. FYI, he's from Arkansas.

YoungGambler
    repetition is the father of learning
    YoungGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

there was no problem he fumbled at a time where best players were about to leave, then young guys come in but texas boosters tired of losing their money betting on texas.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

USF is a good place for him. He is not good enough to coach at a Power 5 School.

gojetsgomoxies

thanks for the responses..

seems like the big name schools in large football states (cali, florida, texas, ohio, michigan?? etc.) can't have much patience for big winning. and frankly, not sure they should. i guess UCLA and Miami are 2 schools in that category that have to tread a bit carefully. i.e. "be careful what you wish for"

gojetsgomoxies

i think all coaches should have the opportunity to win/lose with their own recruits - if at all practical.

one problem with texas longhorns though is they probably recruit the same kids regardless of coach, so even though those weren't charlie's recruits they were probably the players they would have had anyway. apparently, texas targets high character kids who really want to go to texas and who generally commit early... it's what i've read. it could be wrong.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    i think all coaches should have the opportunity to win/lose with their own recruits - if at all practical.

one problem with texas longhorns though is they probably recruit the same kids regardless of coach, so even though those weren't charlie's recruits they were probably the players they would have had anyway. apparently, texas targets high character kids who really want to go to texas and who generally commit early... it's what i've read. it could be wrong.
    That would make sense actually. You don't see those kids in the news for the wrong reasons. They liked coach Strong a lot despite all the losing. Hard to believe that the HC has little say in who comes to play for him though.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I think he deserved at least two more years. Texas is just going to turn into a revolving door if they keep doing this. They haven't realized that they aren't the national power like they once were. It happens, but you need time to get back to the top. Strong will do well at USF.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Wow, this makes way too much sense. USF is going to be tough to beat in that conference. Houston hired the wrong guy.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Who gives a crap about USF and the American Athletic Conference. USF went 8-5 last season and improved to 9-2 so far this season. If they do not follow that up next season, Charlie will be on the hot seat again. Have you seen the schedule they play next season? Their toughest non-con game is against Illinois at home. Talk about a cream puff schedule.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Who gives a crap about USF and the American Athletic Conference. USF went 8-5 last season and improved to 9-2 so far this season. If they do not follow that up next season, Charlie will be on the hot seat again. Have you seen the schedule they play next season? Their toughest non-con game is against Illinois at home. Talk about a cream puff schedule.
    ESPN. That's why they are paying Strong millions.